1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obama Compares His Bowling Score to Special Olympics on 'Tonight Show'

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Mar 20, 2009.

1. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

He wasn't making fun of the handicapped. He was making fun of himself. If you said you throw a ball like a girl are you making fun of girls or are you making fun of yourself?

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

His remark about his gutter ball was like special Olympics most certainly was making fun of disabled.
    How low can a person go, defending this kind of trash.

3. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

No..he wasn't making fun of the handicapped, but his comments shows that he does not view the handicapped as equal with "normal" people.

4. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Do you need this explained to you? Really? Or are you just so used to being a blind apologist that everything Obama says can be explained away as harmless when it's not? Just think what would be happening today if the previous President said such a thing. You and every other blind apologist on this board would be joining the lynch mob.

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

McCain was on the top of the ticket not Palin. So there was no vote for Palin...

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Obviously both. I was waiting to see how you guys would somehow manage to defend even this.

It reminds us that there is nothing below some of you when it comes to defending Obama.

7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

This reminds me of the story of the late, great Corrie ten Boom and her interrigation by the German Captain

He asked her what sort of work she was involved in to which she responded

"I work with the mentally handicapped!"

To which the German commander responded

"What a waste! What sort of a God would care for such waste?"

To which Miss Ten Boom responded

"Perhaps the Lord Jesus cares more for those who are mentally handicapped than He does for this old Dutch Watchmaker----or even for a German Captain!!!!"

I got this strange feeling that the Lord Jesus just kinda sorta-----takes the mentally and physically handicapped and just "nestles" them under His wings--------and leaves the "Smart Mouths" out in the cold!!!!!

8. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Simile (n) a figure of speech in which two unlike things are explicitly compared, as in “she is like a rose.”

Some girls - not all - throw like... well, er,,, girls..... madre throws like a girl It looks more like she's doing the shot put than the fluid motion of a baseball player. The end result is usually a poor throw - high arc and little distance. If we were picking teams, I'd pick her last because she throws like a , well, girl... Now let's say I wanted to take a shot at Derek Jeter, shortstop for the Yankees. "Hey Jeter, You throw like a girl!"

What's the point of that statement? You ask yourself, "What is the worse possible example of throwing a baseball?" In my world it would have to be madre. Obviously, Derek Jeter doesn't know my wife but he does understand simile and he certainly understands the implications of "You throw like a girl."
    How's your bowling, Mr. President?

I bowl like a retard.

What do you mean by that, Mr. President?

I, the most powerful man in the free world only managed a 129 on my own bowling lane. Now how do I state this in a way that most people will understand that my bowling skills are terrible....

I bowl like Earl Anthony? Naw, he was one of the greatest...

I bowl like a girl? Naw, Michelle won't let me in the house...

I bowl like Special Olympics? That's it! Everybody can picture me fumbling, bumbling, stumbling my way to the line launching a bowling ball to an unknown destination...

In Obama's world, the developmentally disabled and mentally retarded exemplify the antithesis of how he percieves himself, not to mention his horrific perception of DD/MR. He could've used many different examples of how poorly he thought he bowled. He chose to compare his own weakness and failure (albeit a rather minor shortcoming in this case) to Special Olympics.

The cat is out of the bag, so to speak. Now we know what he really thinks about DD/MR. A few more unguarded moments and we'll get to see the real man behind the rhetoric.

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I tried to stay out of this discussion since it doesn't matter to me either way but in all fairness the president never said he bowled like a retard. If you took his comment that way then I think that prejudice is on you. His comment about special Olympics to me appears to be in response to the audience laugh and Jay's patronizing clap then covering his mouth as if to say "thats great Mr. President". I guess we'll all see the comment as we will but he never said, "I bowl like a retard".

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Yea we all know there is no prejudice with you.:rolleyes:

11. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My oldest son is developmentally disabled. I also drive the special needs bus for the local school district which is what some folk call The Short Bus. I can't tell you how many times I've been around folk and somebody says something derogatory about DD/MR, see me standing there and I get one of those cheeky, "Didn't mean no offense..." At that point it is too late. If folks didn't mean any offense then they would measure their words more carefully.

If there is any prejudice on my part it will be found on behalf of defending the DD/MR. Mr. Obama is the President of the United States. He should know better- even if his comment was made in jest. I've spent the last 28 years my life listening to folk running off at the mouth because they are and will remain ignorant about developmental disabilities. What Mr. Obama said is indefensible.

12. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hate to admit it, but I agree that this was a simple "foot-in-mouth" remark that was simply that; a simple gaffe! I don't really think for one minute that he was belittling the "Special Olympics participants" but just simply made a stupid and uncouth statement in his quest for a laugh! (I did not see the episode, so I'm not aware of any facial and/or gestures that may have been pertinent here.)

Can any of us say that we have never done the same thing?

Like another poster noted, there are enough serious and real problems with this "presidential wannabe" that we damage our validity as critics by focusing on such trivialities.

This incidence is just one more indication that, in spite of his silvery rhetoric and smooth tongue, he in no way was/is ready for the big time.

IOW folks, do you want to spend the critiquing capital on nit-picking stuff, or save it for a salvo on more serious stuff that we know is coming down the pike?

Not saying it shouldn't be noted; just that it should not given the priority I see here.

13. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

The voice of reason! I applaud you sir.

:applause:

14. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I understand your position but I hoped to make a point at a higher level. We have become a nation so sensitive to "others" that we really can't speak about realities in our society. I believe this was the point Erik Holder was trying to make except he used race as the focus of his analogy.

The sensitivity problem is not limited to race. We must avoid saying things that are racially biased, gender biased, generational biased etc... you name it and you must avoid saying it in public even if what you're saying is true. I agree with Holder in that we can be a lot better society if we'd each spend time talking and listening to each other about our differences so that you know me and know I know you so you understand my heart when words come from my mouth.

I am not defending the president, I am just saying perhaps we as a society have become overly sensitive and choose to think the worst in others without giving them te benefit of a doubt. It is ok that you want to defend the DD/MR but do it when needed and not at every joke or sarcastic comment. Be offended at the intent and not the words (sorry, but that's my $00.02)...

15. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Is this the pot calling the kettle... iron?

16. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

It is unquestionably an insensitive and unthinkable comment. It was good that he apologized. It was unfortunate that he does not have better control over what he thinks.

These things just don't fly out of people's mouths. It was the result of a type of thinking that has probably spanned his whole life that he never addressed seriously.

But what is the leader of the free world with troops in combat and the economy falling apart doing on late night TV yukking it up with a comedian? Where is Obama's handling staff? This is just more evidence that he has surrounded himself with inept people.

17. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :applause: Amen!

"For the mouth speaks out of that which fills the heart. "

Matthew 12:34b NASB

#37 padredurand, Mar 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2009
  18. targus

targus New Member

What would be the level of tolerance if say Rush Limbaugh made a self effacing joke about his lack of basketball skills by referencing African Americans?

19. Enoch

Enoch New Member

It's completely unacceptable and he never should have been on a "Talk Show" in the first place. Thanks Obama but we need an actual leader not a community organizer. Thanks for trying but it's time for you to step down and show some dignity while you have a little left.

Obama will go down in history as the biggest mistake America made.

20. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remember Rush and his comments about Donovan McNabb? Read the article from ESPN here. There was a firestorm and appropriately so.

Enough about Rush.

If not now when? The man who holds the highest office in the country made an offhanded remark concerning the Special Olympics on national television. What was his intent? I cannot read his mind; only hear his words. He bowls poorly and compared his poor performance to Special Olympians. If I did that at either of my jobs (church/school) I would join the ranks of the unemployed. I'm not calling for his job. His comments were insensitive and inappropriate.