1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obama contends belief in Jesus Christ not necessary for salvation

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I'm afraid that I have to agree with Ken on this one. Even Huckabee vacillated on this issue. And didnt GW say that Christians and Muslims worship the same God? You will be hard-pressed to find an electable candidate that is totally in line with the Bible on the issue of soteriology, sorry to say. Finding a pastor? Simple. POTUS? No.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

People can worship anything and anyone. Bush stating (wrongly, I might add) that we worship the same God is not the same thing as saying we can all come to God in different ways.

3. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

It's pretty much the same, but you won't admit it. The only real difference is that Bush is a republican, which you will defend, and Obama is a democrat, which you will condemn. Sounds rather hypocritical to me.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you think salvation and worship are the same, you probably think hot and cold are also "pretty much the same". I'm not going to admit something so ludicrous as what you claim.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That simple truth is not so obvious to Bush haters and/or Obama adorers.

6. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This makes Obama just as Christian and non-evangelical as George Bush so it shouldn't be all that hard for folks to get used to.

7. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

[SIZE=+1]
    It's certainly true that Obama is not running for a religious office. Regardless, I think the beliefs of those we elect to public office are of critical importance to Christians. I'm not sure there's really such a thing as "secular" office since all that we have belongs to God and all that we do is subject to God's judgment. It matters a lot to me what Obama and the other candidates believe because I know it will greatly influence what they would do or not do.

Of course, I also know that just being a solid Christian doesn't mean a person would be a good President. I also know that all men - Christian or not - are still sinners and subject to sinful conduct. I need look no further than the end of my own nose to understand that. We're certainly not elected a national pastor. But a man who's not a Christian is far more likely to take improper actions based on his man-centered philosophies. A man who's a good leader before men but constantly humble in prayer before God is the ideal choice. Just as the best Kings of ancient times believed in God so will our best Presidents and other leaders be followers of Christ.

I think the basis for Obama's philosophies are grounded in his church's a black liberation "theology" as taught by his spiritual adviser. This man-centered faith - which exists in white churches as well - verses a Christ-centered would be a tremendous negative influence to this potential leader of our nation.

There's also, in my opinion, a dangerous taint of black racism that seems to have been much too close to Obama for my comfort. I don't want such a leader in the White House because I believe that would risk more government support for entitlement programs in the name of addressing the alleged victimization of black people in America.

I want all persons to be treated equally and not be dependent upon the government for special favor. I want to see an end to special programs we already have - not more. I want to see a return to individual liberty and responsibility. If Obama truly believed that Wright was lost in the past then he wouldn't need to be forecasting more programs to resolve a perceived racial divide by pushing for an undefined but implied "change". I sense he really does agree with Wright albeit not in the same vocal manner and I think he would be aggressive in the pursuit of such programs as all good Democrats and many not so good Republicans.

As Christians - Democrat or Republican or other - we'd better pay close attention to these things and steer clear of an attitude that it makes no difference because it's outside the church - a secular matter - and something of no concern.
    [/SIZE]

8. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Read the quote from Bush again. He did say that Muslims will get to Heaven by a different route than Christians.

"I think we do. We have different routes of getting to the Almighty," Bush said. "But I want you to understand, I want your listeners to understand, I don't get to get decide who goes to heaven. The Almighty God decides who goes to heaven and I am on my personal walk," he said.