1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obama Drops the "F" Bomb on National Television

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, May 2, 2010.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is A Great Post...

You get the PM Award for the best response in the form of a comment. I also appreciate your candidness in admitting how there are times you nearly say that say word, but, catch yourself. I, too, am guilty of this, but, like you said. Obama purposely used this word to get a laugh, and that is what makes this more egregious...

Thanks for your post and honesty,:thumbs:

Pastor Paul :type:

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Makes it almost a mandate

3. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Spoken as I was taught a Christian lady would speak!!! You seem to think before you speak, I need to learn from you. You are a great blessing to all of us.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It would be more productive to watch reruns of the Gong Show than to listen to an Obama speech, especially a meaningless comedy routine.

5. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

He should have danced with Justin Timberlake and had a wardrobe malfunction. :tonofbricks:

6. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

There was a time in my life I did not take such language as offensive and thought it to be the norm of our day.

Then I read where Jesus spoke in Matt 12:34 (NKJV) 34 Brood of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.

This struck me deeply and I became really aware of my language with little temptation to speak that way. (mind you I said little not none) Of course this is only accomplished with the help of God.
    When I hear this language now, I realize that those speaking it do not know God or they are not living in the will of God at this time.

Even speaking like this as a joke can ruin your witness to those who hear it.

7. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now, This One I Liked

Very funny MP :wavey:

8. Magnetic Poles

I am quite the jokester. :laugh:

9. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That You Are...

... you would have been a lot funnier than Jay Leno at the WH Corresponants Dinner Saturday evening. I think I'll submit your name for next year :laugh: If that's okay with you?:wavey:

10. Magnetic Poles

I'll take the gig. Just let me check my calendar. :laugh:

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Hey, I'm trying to take over Lenos job!! :laugh:

But you will have to put up with:
    1) Hogwash
    2) Cotton-picken
    3) Shoot-Fire
    4) Dad-blast it

12. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Spencer Kimball was my deceased husband's great uncle. I doubt he ever said anything that profound.

13. Brad Crassley

Brad Crassley New Member

Thanks for informing us of this great tragedy. I made sure to bring this up at my home church's forum, Landover Baptist.

14. Mississippi John

15. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

That doesn't in the least represent my point. I only said that Obama 's usage isn't going to influence people that way any more than they already are.

Um, that wasn't my point, either. Stop trying to trap me. Of course people will be influenced by the culture in which they grow up.

I didn't vote for Obama. I don't care for Obama. I don't care to defend him, either.

This is one of those issues that gets Christians all worked up and makes them neglect the real issues at hand. Yes - U.S. Christian culture has long been overly polite. Ever read primary sources from early Christian history? Check it out.

The Bible isn't vulgar. This is simply putting words in my mouth. I just said the Bible isn't as polite as most Christians would like it to be. Ever read the book of Ezekiel? You know what the literal translation of the word "dung" used in the O.T. would be? Wouldn't be "number two," that's for sure.

You know what Paul is telling believers to control when he says to control ones own "body?"

The Bible is radically and refreshingly direct and plain-spoken. It's not at all vulgar.

You know, Wade, you can dislike me. That's fine. I would appreciate it if you would enter into real dialogue instead of making an example of me to other people. I was plainly responding to the point by suggesting that, 1) Obama's comment will not affect society's usage of this language, which I agree is distasteful and, 2) Maybe we shouldn't be all that concerned with it.

Blessings.

16. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Because children use profanity at school? Really? There's nothing else going on that might concern you a little bit more?

By the way, I don't tolerate it in my class, and it usually results in an office visit, but there are a lot of times that I can't do anything about.

17. John Toppass

Site Supporter

The reason I say that homeschooling is getting more attractive is not because children might use profanity at school. But because we have teachers who say "I generally don't care for excess profanity, but there are bigger issues at stake."

Then the same teachers use the excuse that worse things are recorded in the bible.

Maybe one of the reasons there are bigger issues at stake is because the attitudes of such teachers allow the bigger issues to grow. I deal with teachers who shrug their shoulders at misconduct but I also see we still have some teachers that expect moral behavior in the classroom. I know that it takes time to establish the expected conduct. But they are almost always successful when they establish their reputation.

18. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Children using such language, and the children I teach are 5-10 years old, is not appropriate developmentally or socially. I do not allow profanity in my classroom, especially that particular word Obama used, and in any occasion when it is directed toward another person is immediately referred to the office. If it is a less disruptive usage, they will discuss it with me individually and, for subsequent offenses, their parents will be notified.

The fact is that in the broader scope of society, there are greater issues at stake. In fact, there are greater issues of the tongue at stake among Christians and general society, like gossip, slander, etc. Not to mention judgmentalism, greed, pride, lust and all those things. Usage of spare words ranges, depending on the word and the context, on a scale of impoliteness. In other cultures, they have found widespread and acceptable use among Christians.

Including records in the Bible. Look it up. It's there. There's a bunch of language that is very strong and impolite. But its not vulgar - it was appropriately used in dealing with strong subject matter.

Oh, by the way, I was homeschooled from 3rd grade through high school.

19. John Toppass

Site Supporter

I just quoted what you said and I stand by what I said. I bet you got an A+ in crawfishin. That is what we call trying to change what was said or done without acknowledging the orginal deed.

20. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I didn't change anything I said previously, I was just rephrasing it in the hopes that you would understand me a little bit better. I'm sorry you seem to have already formed an opinion of me. I would love the chance to approach this and and any other issue with understanding and mutual respect, listening to each other and discussing the implications instead of drawing quick assumptions and making curt and short statements against each other.

Thank you for obviously being concerned about the well-being of children and I assure you I do the best I can to have a positive influence on those I teach. I also love the Bible and have a high view of it and earnestly seek to apply it to my life's work.

Blessings to you, friend.