1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obama has sliced 16% off of Clinton lead nationally

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Jan 31, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not saying that foreign policy is the deal breaker for my vote like some posters have said that the abortion issue is for their vote. It is what attracted to me to Senator Obama's candidacy when I read his essay in Foreign Affairs last year. I also prefer his stance on civil liberties compared to that of Republicans in general. For instance, I don't care much for warrantless searches and surveillance.

Also, I am finding quite a bit of support on the Internet among libertarian bloggers for Obama's candidacy. So voting for Ron Paul in the GOP primary and perhaps for Obama in the general election may not be as much of a stretch as you and others may think. Anyone interested in this can Google "libertarians for Obama" and find some links about this.

#21 KenH, Feb 1, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Funny how it is different when it is your issue(s).

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look, you folks who want to be obsessed over the abortion issue when it comes to voting have the liberty to do so in these United States. I refuse to allow one issue to control my voting regardless of whether the issue is abortion, foreign policy, Iraq, or whatever.

4. PastorSBC1303

Ken, you say that, but your possible support of Obama over basically one issue speaks otherwise.

You said it yourself, and now you gotta back track...

You can try to explain it away all you like, but you know you just got caught doing the same thing you claim others do with abortion.

And for the record I am not a one-issue voter. Abortion is an important issue for me, but it is not the only one. For example, I would have voted for Guiliani if he had gotten the nomination even though I disagree with him on social issues.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Watching the debate last night I found myself agreeing with Senator Obama pretty much across the board of issues(yes, there is even a libertarian case to be made for Obama's health care proposal).

So you can get off your one-issue high horse.

6. PastorSBC1303

:laugh: Ok Ken, if you say so.

(You got caught and you know it) :saint:

Have a good day Ken. :wavey:

7. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I suppose I am one that would "get caught" too. I could find myself voting for Obama if it were between him and McCain.

I just can't stand the thought of another four years of what Bush wanted, wars and policing the world. I will vote for a Democrat before I let that happen with my vote.

I am a Ron Paul supporter true and through, but given he isn't going to win, when he drops out, I will use my vote to get as close to getting out of this war as I can.

Will Obama get us out? I don't know. Will McCain? No.

As far as the othr issues.. the two parties are so closely tied together behind the scenes that it really doesn't matter to the average Joe. Abortion, Gay rights, Health care.. all the "hot" issues haven't been changed by either party more so than the other. They are all corrupt and none of them are looking out for our "best interest".

So call my a flaip flop. Call me whatever you want, but I am voting my mind and heart. The GOP has sadly given us no great option. What do you expect when you're given nothing to begin with.

Jamie

8. PastorSBC1303

Jamie, you and Ken and whoever has the right to vote for anyone you choose. I have no problem with that.

I just find it amazingly ironic that Ken has criticized so many for being one issue voters (ie abortion) and then he gets caught in supporting Obama over one issue.

I still do not understand how those who support Ron Paul could even possibly support Obama. If you do not want McCain or one of the other GOP candidates then vote 3rd party.

9. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Good to hear. I didn't really think you were a gestapo type person. :)

Ok, I can understand your questioning then.

No, I will vote for Ron Paul until he drops out, and then I will not "waste" my vote in November. I want out of this war and any others over the horizon that isn't warranted. Obama would get us closer to that than McCain I believe. Paul would get us there completely :) but he won't win.

Jamie

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have already proven your statement to be false. If you continue to make it then you will be lying.

11. PastorSBC1303

Ken, see things as you wish. I think pretty much every objective poster around here can clearly see what you said:

Then you realized what you had done and you backpedaled fast.

It is not really that hard to see. Explain it away as you wish. Say I am lying as you wish.

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Ken? Is that you?

Seriously, Obama's creation of a national healthcare plan, forcing employers to pay additional payroll taxes for a healthcare plan/exchange, mandatory coverage for families who have children, mandatory requirements for insurance underwriters to cover children up to 25 on their parents' plans, expansion of MEDICAID and SCHIP, required mandatory reporting from private doctors and hospitals regarding "preventable medical errors"(What the heck is that?), a stronger push to mandatory universal Electronic Health Record, mandatory fines against insurers and drug providers whose prices exceed arbitrary levels....these are liberterian? Not the liberterian positions I know.
    http://www.barackobama.com/issues/healthcare/

I do agree with his ideas to allow more generics, the reimportation from Canada, and more competition.

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think he was a Romney promoter before he switched to Paul, but I may have misremembered.

14. Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

Ken, as long as you have people like Carpro railing against you, it means you must be correct on most of the issues. Keep up the good work!

BTW, I like Obama too. Of course this comes from a fellow flip-flopper. :laugh: I used to be supporting Hillary Clinton, but I have changed my mind.

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I supported Romney there was no reason to have anticipated a Ron Paul candidacy. Romney has turned out to be a supporter of Bush's foreign adventurism so I am glad that Ron Paul came along to support.

I voted for Ron Paul in the Arkansas GOP primary. Now it's time for me to move on.

16. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh huh, sure.

17. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Hey Ken,

At least you have stood for someone, even if your picks did change as new information came out, or as your pick faded to a point of being unelectable.

There are people on this board that have yet to pick ANY person to support. I find that to be more irresponsible than having to change your pick.

Jamie

18. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

If the GOP leadership had good sense, maybe they would have gotten behind Elizabeth Dole for President in 1999, instead of what we wound up with.

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, Jamie.

I see the Ron Paul situation as more than just being unelectable. He has said that the has no interest in running as a minor party candidate. So voting for him in the primary is all I can do for his campaign besides the money I contributed.

I admit to rooting for Obama to defeat Clinton. Considering how much some Republicans and conservatives hate Hillary Clinton I would think they would join in doing that. :)

I have not committed to voting for Obama in November. However, I am intrigued by the support I am finding among libertarians for his candidacy. And, frankly, none of the folks who are running for the Libertarian Party nomination excite me at all.

20. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Jamie..so let me understand you correctly. You find it more appealing if person X supported candidate A, then chose to support candidate B, then changed to candidate C, as opposed to person Y who is weighing the pros and cons and still listening as the candidates speak?

Mind you, your original reference was to Ken's support of Romney then switching to Paul (I have no problem with Ken doing that, and I know Ken is relieved to have my approval :smilewinkgrin:) But why the swipe at undecideds? Seems a little out of sorts to me.