1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Obama makes hate filled racist statement, but it's 'okie doke' for him since he's referring to Trump

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Aaron, did you have a good weekend? You doing ok buddy?

2. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nah, not a hint of Obama EVER being divisive or racist :rolleyes::

3. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now we can have a barbecue. Gangs all here!

4. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never thought I would say this to anyone but Internettheologian: *Woof*.

*laugh*

5. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, Snark is my job.

*laugh*

6. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Be nice, Aaron.

[​IMG]

7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the differences are? Because to me they just look and sound like variations of the same phrase with the same basic meaning.

8. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    A point he made based upon assertions from The Progressive, deeply dedicated Clinton haters apt to drop the label of race baiting at the drop of a watermelon rind. Seems to me that Bill was saying pretty much what Obama was: He's playing you.

Actually, I'm congenitally obtuse. I was born that way; it's not a choice.

I don't think I'm a liberal; maybe a pseudo-conservative. I don't think I can be pure enough to be a real conservative (as some folks here would define it) since common sense seems to keep getting in the way.

I hadn't considered that I have a snark-dog, but if Rolfe is agreeable I would be happy to have Rolfe on board. But Rolfe should know that I sometimes forget to feed the cats and that I will, under no circumstances, go for walks in the park. If that's OK, then we have a deal.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seems like distinctions without differences to me. I grew up in north-central Jersey, and the terms were used interchangeably to denote agreement. Since the words were spoken, not written, the upper versus lower case distinction was lost, as was the "ie" versus "ey". Maybe this was a case of ignorance by bunch of twerps in an all-white community 60 years ago. And I still remain ignorant of the reason for the upper case "D", though Merle Haggard made clear the meaning of "ie".

11. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Maybe it's because I'm in the South. But I've heard folks, white and black, saying "the okie-doke" since I was a kid. It means a scam or the belief that someone is trying to pull a fast one on ya or proverbially pull the wool over your eyes.

12. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never heard that one. Oh, English is such an easy language...

13. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still waiting

14. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, been busy.

As I understand it...

Okie-Doke, pronounced Oh-kee Doak. Means you are being hustled or scammed by someone.

Okie-Dokie, pronounced Oh-kee Dough-kee. Means you will perform a task someone has asked you to do, or you agree with a statement made by someone. Sometimes used sarcastically to agree with someone.

Okey-doke, pronounced Oh-kee Dough-kee. Same meaning as Okie-Dokie. Sometimes spelled Okey-Dokey.

15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

• Like Like x 1
  16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The origin of ‘okey-dokey’
    By the early twentieth century, OK was no longer a joke. The letters O and K did not prompt memories of the misspelled oll korrect, nor did they stimulate alternative explanations. In the nineteenth century, OK was recognized as a humorous abbreviation, but in the twentieth, it was understood merely as an arbitrary combination of letters of the alphabet.

The very look of OK underwent a change. In the nineteenth century, OK almost always appeared with periods, identifying it as an abbreviation. In the twentieth, however, the periods increasingly were absent. And in the twentieth century, more and more it was spelled okay, completely distancing it from any abbreviation and transforming it into an ordinary word.

The meaning of OK was simplified in the twentieth century too. Almost from the date of its birth, in the nineteenth century the abbreviation OK was subject to reinterpretation, beginning with Old Kinderhook and continuing with numerous humorous inventions, as well as the names of clubs. As the twentieth century got under way, those alternatives faded, leaving OK for the most part with the plain, sober definition “all right.” Gaining familiarity rather than passion, OK also gained the abbreviation oke in the 1920s, and kay or just plain k, both in writing (nowadays including text messages and e-mail) and speaking.

Along with the draining of humor from OK came the draining of enthusiasm, or indeed of any emotion. In 1840 the OK Clubs could inspire voters to support Old Kinderhook for reelection. The clubs formed later in the nineteenth century, from the Harvard OK on down, likewise kept OK spirited. In occasional literary use, OK often colorfully evoked the voice of a decidedly backwoods character. But by the early twentieth century, OK had become value-neutral. It remained affirmative, but it imparted no attributes, admirable or otherwise, as it remains today.

When a friend nowadays asks “What do you think of my garden?” to answer “OK” is likely to make the respondent the target of a flowerpot. You’d better use a value word like “wonderful” or “perfect”. Even “terrible” shows more emotional involvement than OK. So OK no longer was a joke or a showstopper. In the nineteenth century, OK stood out, but in the twentieth, OK was just OK.

To make OK funny in the twentieth century, or to give it emphasis, it needed a twist. And the Roaring Twenties came up with it—several twists, in fact. Beginning in the 1920s we find such twists as okey-dokey and oke-doke, leading up to the okely-dokely now used by cartoon character Ned Flanders on the television show The Simpsons.

The rise of okey-dokey and its relatives took away the pressure on OK to be funny. Once okey-dokey made its appearance, any vestige of humor associated with OK fled to its polysyllabic progeny, leaving OK free of all remaining traces of playfulness. We are inclined to smile when we hear okey-dokey; we hear plain OK with a straight face. The expression born as a blatant joke a century earlier had now become a sober workhorse, ready to undertake ventures in pragmatics and psychology in the postwar years.

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2012/07/okey-dokey/

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Best Answer:here is a source showing 1932
    http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/26480...
    This little phrase is a variant of okay. It is 20th century American and first appears in print in a 1932 edition of American Speech
    and here is another
    http://www.takeourword.com/et_n-p.html#o...
    Okey-dokey and the variant okey-doke indeed mean O.K. and are simply playful versions of it. They did not, however, appear in print until the 1930's, and while O.K. is now considered colloquial (i.e., fine for use in conversation and informal writing), these two variations of it are still slang.

and here comes a really long cut and paste. according to this, ned flanders was not the first to say okli-dokli

OKEY-DOKEY / OKEYDOKEY / OKEY DOKE / OKEYDOKE / OKIE-DOKE / OKIE-DOKIE / OKLE-DOKLE: Babified/playful/whimsical variations of OK [Reduplication (with variation of initial consonant and remodelling of ending)]

OKEY-DOKEY: 1) interjection = OK. 2) adjective = OK
    quote:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071217045149AArB0ys

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  19. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I've never heard the first definition, I have to ask where did it originate. I assume it is a bit of regional dialect. With which, I, as a San Franciscan, am unfamiliar.

20. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You see, the term, "okey-doke," meaning some sort of trick, game, scam, attempt to fool, shortchange, deceive or mislead, also came into use in the 1930s, principally among African Americans. And it obviously has a not-so-positive meaning. Okey-doke is the kind of thing you need to look out for, be aware of, against which you must keep up your guard. And, of course, in 1930s America, that, too, was a significant feature of the African American experience.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...key-doke-an-obamism-some-americans-dont-know/