1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obama pushes for longer school days, years

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by rbell, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Talk about a red herring! Regardless of how long the school year is, the last few weeks are always wasted. If the school year was increased, there would be more time for learning.

Exactly how do you know this to be true? BTW, I home schooled my children until the beginning of high school.

Just because you don't listen to Limbaugh doesn't mean many right-wingers don't. You may not know it, but you aren't the standard of right-wing behavior. Also, I think I have dealt with the issues, and I don't really care if you agree with me or not. In fact, I don't care if you ever agree with me. Just remember, everything I post is not directed at you.

2. Spear

Spear New Member

I honestly doubt it would be a good idea. There's something annoying when education fully becomes a business : private schools would select their students, and the best schools would be the most expensive and/or selective.

I'm from the mid class, i could afford this, and choose a good school. The poorest would let their kids in the cheapest schools, which would probably not be the easiest to study in a good environment.

I think " social mixity " at school is a good thing and must be kept.

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

As a nation we have an obligation to help prepare the next generation. We often forget the United States has one of the most amazing public school systems in the world. Look at many of the other countries out there with public school systems. They test their children and begin moving them out of the best the schools at early ages. In America you can go from K-12 in public schools with an opportunity to change your world. That doesn't happen everywhere else. I'm a fan.

Why is extending the school year a bad thing? Give children more time around Christmas and maybe only a a month off in July or something. Let parents have the opportunity to take their kids on vacation as they choose and the children can catch up via electronic means.

The continuity of education and the ability of teachers to impact their students with more intentional times would be terrific. I hear a lot of bad mouthing of teachers, but I don't know any teachers who just collect a paycheck (that is a meager thing) and don't care about their students. Maybe you know someone, but I don't.

Of course the big thing we need is far more involved parents. In our church we push parents getting involved with their children and their education. If Christians really want to change the nation the first place we can start is by becoming intentionally involved in our public school systems. They are begging for people to help out. I'm not saying lead a Bible study in the cafeteria at lunch. I'm talking about home-room moms, helping with the things nobody else wants to do, working with the sports fields, etc. We can change this nation and that is a very grassroots thing to do! :D

#23 preachinjesus, Sep 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2009
  4. rbell

rbell Active Member

Umm...if the school is wasting time, and they want to add time...pointing out their wastefulness is not a red herring. It is quite pertinent to the discussion.

Why do they need "more time for learning" when they don't use what they have?

Here you go: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/aug/30/home-schooling-outstanding-results-national-tests/

from the article:

Sorry if I messed up your stereotype.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More time in class will never make up for the mismanagement of our education system. Get the fed out of education

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen. Any government involvement at all should only be at the state level, and preferably, primarily at the local level.

7. here now

here now Member

Alternative schools NOT longer days

#27 here now, Sep 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2009
  8. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps if this were 12mo., 6 days a week, (holidays included) 7AM-5PM, it wouldn't take a lot of intelligence for the copy-cat trouble makers to figure out the best deal; AND the real instigators wouldn't have but one chance (that year anyway) to straighten up, OR at least be out of everybody else's hair!

Love your idea!!!

Only problem , is that it makes the guilty instead of the innocent pay, and that just ain't fair in the liberal play book!

9. billwald

billwald New Member

>Originally Posted by Robert Snow
    >Talk about a red herring! Regardless of how long the school year is, the last few weeks are always wasted. If the school year was increased, there would be more time for learning.

>(Rbell)Umm...if the school is wasting time, and they want to add time...pointing out their wastefulness is not a red herring. It is quite pertinent to the discussion.

Gee, rbell, reminds me of a shop class 55 years ago . . . teacher said, "Don't cut right to the end of the tin snips because it will bend and breal the metal."

Stupid student, "Then why do they put ends on tin snips?" (he was stupid, not joking)."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.