1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

O'bama rex: NO Nuclear Weapons????

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by OldRegular, Apr 6, 2009.

1. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I know we don't consider Wiki as gospel but I think it will do here...

Remember SDI... Strategic Defense Initiative...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Defense_Initiative

Either way we spent a ton of cash on SDI and it never amounted to anything...

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Libbies oppose everything defense. It is sad ignorance and foolish motives.

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Me no hate defense... Then again I'm not a libbie so I don't think you were talking to me.

You have to admit that we throw away a lot of money buying trash that don't work. How about the new presidential helicopters for example. Now those were a real waste of money.

I was a radio repairman while I was in the service and the special forces got these new radios that wouldn't talk to any of the radios in the inventory. Just to each other. And they had to be standing next to each other for that to work. That was a huge waste of money.

Reagan did some good defense investments but SDI was not one of them. It was as bad as this Bush missile shield they wanted to build in Europe. What we have is better than what they wanted to build.

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Walkie-Talkies from Western Auto!!!!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Would have worked better than those things...

Remember when we invaded Grenada and a soldier had to use a public phone to call in an air strike? I was in the service during that time...

6. targus

targus New Member

Anything other than the break up of the Soviet Union and the falling of the Iron Curtain.

7. targus

targus New Member

What other country are you expecting to participate in the disarmament?

China?
    Russia?
    Pakistan?
    India?

Are you expecting North Korea to give up it's nuclear weapons progam?

Iran?

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you know this how?

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

In hind site we know that we didn't need to spend nearly as much as we did since the soviets didn't have the stock pile we believed and their weapons were more harmful to themselves than to us. They cut some many corners until their stuff was trashy and dangerous.

So hind site really says Carter was more right than Reagan and I don't believe it was our defense posture that tore down the iron curtain. It was the collapse of their economy.

10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I don't want to speak for JC but I don't think any country will actually disarm. The point is that we asked. That was the same thing Reagan did. He asked.

11. targus

targus New Member

Well, you are half right.

The Soviet Union dissolved and the Iron Curtain fell because their economy collapsed because they were attempting to keep up with the military technology of the U.S.

So, yes, we did need to spend as much as we did. We set the pace for the race and they ran out of steam trying to catch us.

12. targus

targus New Member

Reagan engaged in discussions of disarming from a position of strength. He threated them with a defense shield.

Obama is doing it from a position of weakness. When one annouces that one is going to disarm oneself before engaging in the negotiations the other side has no reason to negotiate. Obama is threatening them by rolling over and begging.

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Do I really have to show you my big gun for you to know I'm the last super power? I don't think we need to flex our muscles for others to know our capabilities. That is the bully tactics from the past that has failed miserably foreign policy wise. It has made the US the most hated country in the world.

Also, you are twisting what he said. He is saying the same thing Reagan said, let's sign a treaty and agree to simultaneously reduce our stock piles... No one would get rid of all their weapons then say, "ok, now you guys do it also"...

14. targus

targus New Member

Does Obama suffer from split personalities or something?

Isn't this the guy that talked about nuking Pakistan during the campaign?

15. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I don't consider Wiki anything but a collection of opinion, not fact. SDI as initially proposed was to come up with a system that would destroy a portion of incoming missiles. Research was not limited to one system as you want to imply. The current missile defense system is the outcome of President Reagan's SDI.

16. OldRegular

Carter should have stayed on the peanut farm.

The reason that the Soviet Union went belly up was the Missile defense System proposed by President Reagan Gorbachev knew they could not keep up.

17. OldRegular

It appears that you are confused, LeBuick, but that is to be understood. Where did the missile defense system in Alaska come from, the polar bears. I have addressed the delusion that it would have defended against soviet milliles on another thread.

The missile system currently deployed in Alaska is the outgrowth of President Reagan’s Strategic Defense Initiative. This system , or a similar system, is also deployed on some surface ships and was the same as that Bush wanted to deploy in Eastern Europe.

18. rbell

rbell Active Member

Once again...both Reagan and Obama say, "peace."

Reagan believed in "peace through strength."

The jury's not quite in...but apparently Obama has reincarnated the Carter doctrine: "peace through appeasement."

BTW...only one works. Just thought you'd like to know.

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Do you have proof of this? I don't recall this being the case. I know we initially put missiles in the allusions island and in the polar cap back in the 50's.

20. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Like you said, the jury is still out.