1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obama sees minimal bump: MSNBC

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by TomVols, May 10, 2011.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

Yeah, especially after he single-handedly took down OBL. (at least that's what the first personal pronoun overusage would lead one to believe)

Taking out OBL in 2002 would have given anybody 25 points. But he's been in the shadows so long...and one cannot over-emphasize the negatives on a president when gas is $4+ per gallon...especially when his policies encourage such prices.

If God is merciful, we'll be rid of this president next election.

3. targus

targus New Member

Perhaps he will need to up the body count to get another bump.

4. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I agree. And 18 months from now, OBL's killing will be an even smaller blip on the screen for most voters. It will come down to the economy, period.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs::thumbs: and get in someone who is a leader.

6. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It depends on which poll you look at.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_obama_job_approval-1044.html

For example, he gained 11 points in the CBS/NY Times poll.

And according to this poll his approval rating is at 60%:

WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama's approval rating has hit its highest point in two years — 60 percent — and more than half of Americans now say he deserves to be re-elected, according to an Associated Press-GfK poll taken after U.S. forces killed al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden.

Comfortable majorities of the public now call Obama a strong leader who will keep America safe. Nearly three-fourths — 73 percent — also now say they are confident that Obama can effectively handle terrorist threats. And he improved his standing on Afghanistan, Iraq and the United States' relationships with other countries.

7. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Oh, but 18 months is an eternity when it comes to politics and a president's popularity. I'm telling you it will all be about economics. If things don't improve economically it's "Bye Bye Barry!" Mark my words!

8. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It always depends on what poll you read. This was a big deal but the public seems to be a little bit more than "ho-hum" about it. Particulaly with the odd disposal of the remains there are some people who are scratching their heads a bit. Still administration is kinda weird about not seeing some things all the way through. Instead of celebrating victiry they just went back about their business in a way.

Right now the RNC doesn't have a reasonable candidate in the field to challenge a sitting President like this. Not saying this couldn't change, but right now they don't. The next 18 months sure do look like long ones for this process.

9. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I totally agree. Just look at Bush Sr. after the Gulf War.

The Republicans need to make a big deal about the economy. The press probably won't cooperate.

I remember when Clinton ran against Bush Sr. and was making hay about the bad economy (and it was nowhere near as bad as now). I remember when Gore ran against George W. and was saying the economy was the worst it had been in 50 years (which was a lie) and these assertions got widespread coverage.

I say even if the economy is simply maintaining and not growing much Obama could get re-elected.

10. Borneol

Borneol New Member

Saw this about a high polling mentioned about the President. Hard to tell the truth with these things anymore.

"AP Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Skyrockets to a Hope-a-licious 60%… or Does It?"

http://dougpowers.com/2011/05/11/ap...skyrockets-to-a-hope-a-licious-60-or-does-it/

Snippet:

11. mandym

mandym New Member

The 60% poll is illegitimate. Oreilly reported tonight that Dick Morris looked into the AP poll and the sample was 35% Dems and 18% Repubs.

http://www.dickmorris.com/blog/disregard-the-ap-poll/

#11 mandym, May 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2011
  12. targus

targus New Member

A poll that is weighted 2 to 1 democrats to republicans would be a fair representation of the average election...

Where demoncrats vote twice as is their habit. :laugh:

13. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Better yet, get in someone who takes his or her oath of office seriously and does not cherry pick pieces to defend and other pieces to destroy.

14. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Doesn't matter which poll you look at: Obama's bump should've been much higher. I would've thought he would have gotten to 70. GHW Bush hit 89 or 90 I think after the Gulf War 1. The Obama camp has to be worried. Bottom line: if gas prices are below $3 on election day in 2012, Obama wins. If not, look out.

Assuming the GOP nominates someone with a pulse. So far the field looks like a panel CSpan 3 wouldn't air.