1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obama Skips Church

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Don, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remains to be seen what church, if any, he and his family become a member of....

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. donnA

donnA Active Member

Maybe someone will know, I don't. But does the president attend church, wouldn't that be a security risk, can you imagin what that church has to go through. If the president can and does go tot church, wonder if he's waiting to get settled in the white house and chose a near by church. Just a thought.

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to the article, both Clinton and Bush attended their local church during the months after they were elected, until they took up residence in the White House.

Yes, the article states that President-elect Obama intends to wait until he moves into the White House to choose a church to attend; thus, the quote about all the churches competing to become his new "spiritual home."

As for security risk, nah. Every place the president goes is checked out, and then checked out again by the Secret Service and other federal and local agencies before and during his attendance.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is no surprise.

We already know Obama is his own god and his own judge. He can worship himself anytime.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do we really care that a lost President skips church?

7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, Rev -- if only because he claims to be a Christian, and others on this board call him a Christian.

8. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Churches need to stop competing with each other. If I were some sort of celebrity, I'd avoid any church that was trying to initiate contact. I would believe they were more interested in having me there for bragging rights than actually seeking to be my brothers and sisters in Christ.

Sure, but it's an ordeal for the congregation. All things being equal, I wouldn't want a U.S. President in the congregation because of the necessary security they would have to install and the way all worshippers would have to clear security.

Furthermore, I wouldn't think it appropriate to stand for the President as he makes a grand entrance (per protocol) while worshipping as a congregation. The President is just a mere man or woman, and the attention and honor in worship should be placed on God.

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

We have proven he is not. They are not going to be willing to concede. Any further debate is just useless.

10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently Reagen and Bush both believed the same way you do; although Carter and Clinton apparently found no problems with the situation.

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I can't see the Secret Service and Wright being a good mix... They might put him in a choke hold for cursing at America... :laugh: :wavey:

12. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Security is a problem and surely has to be addressed. I read somewhere that Bush prefers to attend chapel at Camp David and one primary reason is the problem of security and disruption to the local church.

13. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

Interesting situation....if each parishioner/attender has to be screened, then any outreach ministries bringing in / inviting new people and family/friends to church would basically have to be put on hold for 4 to 8 years, or am I misunderstanding?

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

I guess I never thought about it before, but this could be a difficult situation, a president wanting to go to church.
    Churches should never compete for anyone to attend. This is a bad idea, to reverence a man to this degree. And standing when he enters the room is out of the question.

many of our area churches have addiction deliverance ministries, and many of those people have been arrested, and some would have been convicted of felonies before. So what do they do, get rid of these people, and tell them they aren't as important to God as the president is?

15. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

donnA - good point about the addiction ministires...and unrelated to that, it looks like you just made your 20,000th post!!

16. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I posted previously -- both Carter and Clinton attended churches during their presidencies.

In other words, the security issue didn't bother the Democrats.

17. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Why would it be more of a security risk than anyplace else he goes?

Don't tell me he's too elite to shop at Wal-Mart! Do they check out all the shoppers wherever he shops?

Why should he go to church now? He already had enough of the Christian votes. :(

18. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Anyone who examines Mr. Obama's beliefs in light of Scripture knows that he is not a true Christian. So whether or not he goes to church is not important.

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

But do they bother the churches? I expect it does.

20. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Presidents don't shop in public places, the merchandise has to brought to an undisclosed location for review... :laugh: