1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obama to Limit Potential Uses of Nuclear Weapons

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Dragoon68, Apr 6, 2010.

1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reason for informing other nations is to project our power. Most of the power associated with NBC weapons is not the actual use of them but the projection of capability.

2. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

No way! We need to retain the option to use nuclear weapons or any other weapons because that's what our enemies will do.

3. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Our enemies may decide to deliver us a "birthday present" some day if they get the idea we don't have something better to give them back.

4. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We can still reduce our nuclear stockpile without reducing our deterrent. We do not need to retain the capability to destroy the earth several times over.

If we can reduce our nuclear arsenal without sacrificing our nuclear deterrent, then it's a win-win scenario.

Besides, massive stockpiles of nuclear weapons don't really deter anyone. Mutually Assured Destruction theory prevents us from actually engaging in nuclear war with any established nuclear power. Our real threat comes from emerging nuclear powers, such as Iran and North Korea. A small fraction of our nuclear capability could destroy every square inch of these countries without even touching our stockpiles.

5. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If a nation is crazy enough to attack the US, I doubt that the threat of nuclear destruction would sway them.

Besides, threats from terrorists and terroristic regimes often are accompanied by a suicidal impulse.

Regardless, these words don't mean anything. We could simply change our policy at will if we were ever truly threatened.

6. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

You may be greatly underestimating some of our enemies! Most bullies attack when they think the prey is easy, off guard, lacks resolve, or when the consequences might not be too bad. Fools attack regardless. Either way we need all options open and all enemies to know we just might use them even as an excessive response.

7. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

In war you always need more troops, more weapons, more ammunition, more transport, more of everything than you think you need. The enemy can be just as smart and cunning. It pays to have all the advantage you can afford.

8. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would much rather use resources to develop and maintain a more effective conventional force that would could actually use. Nuclear weapons tend to gather dust, so to speak. Instead of developing and maintaining an excessive number of nuclear weapons, I think the best approach is to maintain a reasonable deterrent, including strategic and tactical nuclear weapons with a variety of delivery systems while devoting the remaining resources to conventional warfare methods.

Moreover, the comparison of nuclear weapons to conventional warfare is not justified. There is a major qualitative difference that differentiates nuclear vs. conventional weapons. Yes, more troops, transports, etc. are all good ideas, but more nuclear weapons (weapons deployed in war exactly twice in history) do not create a better deterrent. Who cares if I have enough weapons to blow up your country 100X over? Once is all that matters (along with sufficient backup measures).

#28 StefanM, Apr 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2010
  9. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

I think we sometimes incorrectly assume that because we have a lot of nuclear weapons we are capable of destroying the world a hundred times over. It never works out like you plan it. Things don't work, people fail, the enemy surprises you, etc. and even if it all works the earth is much larger and more resilient that we think. I don't think we should cut back on any options. I certainly don't think we should advertise it to the world even if we do.

10. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You Are So Right....

You hit-the-nail-on-the-head, Dragoon!

11. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I said country, not world. We could definitely annihilate individual countries several times over without risking our stockpile.

I have no problem with having more than is "necessary." I believe a nuclear sub contingent, strategic nuclear weapons, air-deployed nuclear weapons, and tactical nuclear weapons are all excellent components of a nuclear deterrent. We should have backup systems in place for all of these. Probably backups of backups of backups. However, I still believe we could accomplish all this with fewer weapons to provide a more cost effective deterrent.

12. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Double post.

#32 windcatcher, Apr 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2010
  13. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

The real message we may be telegraphing to the world may not be about reducing or eliminating nuclear weapons..... but that we have issues with Korea and Iran.

I think the super powers and brains behind the NWO actually want a war with Iran.... and maybe a conflict with Korea. It would push the weakened economies beyond the point of self recovery, demand greater economic collaboration between nations, reduce the strong holds of sovereignty amongst many people who are broken by havoc and devastation and impact the environment and populations, and create such a demand for assistance and relief that the governments and their economies would submit to consolidations and collaborations of power. I regret having to say the next because of its implications... but I do think there is a cabal of elietist in cloistered positions of power, who do not believe in our God, but have their own spirituality in the occult and dark forces and are driven by these forces to control and destroy the world as we have known it: They are driven by the same demonic forces as Hitler and are following a playbook which nearly brought him success. They too have ideas about racial superiority and cleansing...... but it is not as clearly divided as we might think. [We 'think' in divisions of colors and origins and culture and religions, 'white collar' vs 'blue collar' etc. By knowing how 'we' think... they can manipulate and divide us, just like hitler did. ........this is one reason why I would not answer the 'race ' question on the census. It does not belong to any people to whom it is not a difference: To those who would make a difference it is a tool to divide humanity into sub groups.] They view 'race' in terms of power and DNA. [Evolution is their theory.] Because they have power, they believe they are superior and deserve to rule the world and are genetically superior. The rest of us are expendable to serve their ends and too weak and ignorant to be free and entrusted with self-rule........ and deserve to be ruled upon. Conflicts are their creation and the sacrifice of soldiers and innocent civilians in those unjust wars are blood sacrifices to their demons, keeping those appeased and cloaked in their dark powers. They've sold their souls and are past redemption. They are involved in the scandals of the Vatican and church, corruption of governments, through vairous ranks of the military and the positions in the defense dept. (it only takes a few)). Jesus Christ and His church is their only and greatest enemy. And the weapons of our warfare is prayer and knowledge of the Word and the righteousness of the blood of the lamb of God our faith and shield.

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

you may intend on limite used, you should never tell potential enemies that.

15. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A nuclear option is never a porportionate response.

We need to completely rid the world of nuclear weapons. This is a task we can accomplish and make everything safer.

There is no satisfactory argument for the continued proliferation of nuclear arms in a world where there only exists one superpower.

16. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

"You " get rid of yours. Then I'll get rid of mine.

TRUST ME!

17. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

I tend to agree with you although I suppose it could be proportionate to a direct nuclear attack. Even then, you still have issues with non-combatant immunity because nuclear weapons are very indiscriminate.

I would like to see a world without nuclear weapons, but I don't see how that would work as a practical matter. It appears that there's no going back to a pre-nuclear weapon age.

18. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

It's easy to tell who the right-wing war-mongers are.

19. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

It's also easy to see who the ones are that had an accident, "got right with God", and then went back to being liberals.

20. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

If you equate being against war and being for peace (remember who Jesus is, the Prince of Peace), then your wires are not only crossed, but a tangled mess. If being for peace, in your mind, means someone is a liberal, the Jesus was the greatest Liberal that ever lived, and I am proud to stand with Him!