1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obama to Make Olympic Pitch for Chicago

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by carpro, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    People can rail against Chicago all they want. My interest is not in what city the bid is for but my interest in the jobs for my fellow Americans - because I love my country.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So who is doing this?

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

Your point is fair...but so are my two counter-points:

1. (As a Libertarian, you should agree with this): Jobs for our people? Great idea. All for that. However, let's keep in mind that it is not the Government's job to "create jobs" for folks. So...if large numbers of jobs are created...but that happens with massive amounts of government spendng...is that really a good thing? I don't think it is.
    2. Pointing out President Obama's (IMO) misplaced priorities at the moment does not mean I do not love my country. I just have issues with what Obama is doing...because:
      1. He's lollygagging around on the Afghanistan issue. Keeping our soldiers safe is of a higher priority. Let's get that issue worked out ASAP, before bidding on Olympics.
      2. Obama has trouble telling the truth sometimes. I worry about what he might promise the IOC in his sales pitch.
      3. It just means more of Obama's mug on the news. That gets old.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As long as only private funds are used I have no problem with it.

I have expressed elsewhere on this board how I would like to see the Afghanistan situation handled. I would hope that a president of the United States could handle more than one issue at a time.

I have no problem with seeing the president's "mug" on the news. I have no personal animosity toward President Obama.

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

I do have an issue with seeing Obama all the time...since he lies so much, I grow weary of seeing him, because: (1) I know more lies are coming; (2) I know there are millions of folks who lack the critical thinking skills and will swallow his lines completely.

6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well after all of this Chicago was the first city elmininated today. Looks like it'll probably be Rio. Good for Rio too, first Olympics in South America.

It is probably a good observation that this will continue to showcase the silliness of President Obama in making this kind of a trip. What a waste of time and resources. Sounded like the IOC eliminated Chicago out of spite.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I appreciate any president's advocacy on behalf of the United States. I am disappointed that these games won't be held in the United States.

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is good for the US that Obama failed miserably to get the Olympics for Chicago.

A corrupt and violent Chicage would have given the US a huge black eye , internationally.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Question: Would those who are glad to see the United States fail to win the bid for these games have the same attitude if it had been Ronald Reagan who went to Copenhagen as president and the United States had failed to win the bid?

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reagan would not have gone to Copenhagen. What Obama did was unprecedented and not very Presidential. Neither would the Olympics have been a priority for Reagan during times such as these. The Olympics are fine just not right now.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The question is: "Would those who are glad to see the United States fail to win the bid for these games have the same attitude if it had been Ronald Reagan who went to Copenhagen as president and the United States had failed to win the bid?"

I didn't ask what would Ronald Reagan have done? I asked:

"Would those who are glad to see the United States fail to win the bid for these games have the same attitude if it had been Ronald Reagan who went to Copenhagen as president and the United States had failed to win the bid?

#51 KenH, Oct 3, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, if Chicago was the only US city bidding.

The other side of that question would be , would Obama...and his wife... have made a personal appearance for any other city besides Chicago?

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My personal opinion is no, they would not have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.