1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obama voices his support for gay marriage

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by freeatlast, May 9, 2012.

?
  1. ...rally Republicans

12 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. ...energize the Democrats

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. ....have no tangible affect

12 vote(s)
    48.0%
  1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

A bad experience with the CP does not translate into voting for a pro abortion, pro gay rights, pro gun control cult member. Yes, things did not go well, but I got out and tried.

Ninty nine percent of the others on this board have sat on their backsides for decades now, letting the Republican Party deteriorate into the liberal entity it is today. Not only have they done nothing more than sat around and complained, they now make excuses for the liberal candidates that their inaction now produced.

Actually, your asking if I was voting for Obama or staying at home was like calling a name that I just got dinged for, as you well know, since you know that there is no possibility I would do that. The comment was unnecessary, but I do not have the power to assign three points to your account to expire in ten days.

2. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm going to be honest here so let me begin by explaining that there are worms in both parties

All of us here know that Mitt is a member of a cult, that is just truth but what are you goiing to do, ride that horse into Hell? The truth is that Romney is not my pick but I am voting against the non-natural born outlaw that the 18 year old fools that should never be allowed to vote put into office because of carisma.

Being a cman of the pulpit I'll tell you the truth, if you present yourself as a follower of Christ, you must walk the walk 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, even at the poll.

#22 th1bill, May 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2012
  3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

And the way you walk with the Lord is to vote for Romney. I do not like, one bit, being compared to the organization you mentioned. I do follow Christ, and am forwarding this post to moderators for consideration of unfounded accusations on my character. If all you can do is make slurs, then go to another thread.

#23 saturneptune, May 9, 2012
  4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

S/N

You have no idea what other members of this board have done from a political standpoint. In fact the Republican Party as a whole is probably more Conservative now than it has ever been.

#24 OldRegular, May 10, 2012
  5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It will have no effect because, regardless of how he talked around it, everyone already knew where he stood.

What's funny is that it was his moronic vice president that forced him to finally out himself. :laugh:

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You have no idea what you are talking about. The statement about the Republican Party being more conservative than ever today is nothing but a total fabrication. Oh yes, the most conservative party in history, and our last two nominees are Romney and McCain.

Have you ever read the Constitution?

7. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Politically, I think it will neither energize Repubs nor effect Dems....what it will do...I think is ostracize independents and more conservative Dems. Tactically, this is a mistake on Obama's part I think....There was no reason to believe he was against gay marriage in the first place..Only someone blind as a bat with zero discernment would have ever thought this was the case....now, he admits it. It will do him no good.

8. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Our Prime Minister is in favour too :mad:

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That is completely correct. The best thing Obama could have done on that issue is said nothing. Not wanting to say anything to help Obama or Romney, because it makes no difference to me who wins, but on this issue, Obama had an indirect advantage by just saying nothing. That is because many conservatives and Christians were leary of Romney on that issue anyhow because of his comments now and his record in the past.

Now that Obama has come out and declared his support of the issue, more might feel more inclined to actually believe Romney has changed on the issue. Big mistake on Obama's part.

10. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd say Biden was encouraged by their backers also, from the OP article:

".. several of the president's biggest financial backers are gay, and some have prodded him publicly to declare his support for same-sex marriage.....prominent gay donors have said publicly they wanted Obama to announce his support for gay marriage....."

Must be a whoooole lot of money involved.

Is Soros homosexual? Obama is actually a product of a bunch of Marxist Jews out of Chicago. Some Jews actually refer to him as the first Jewish president.

[edit] I know Soros is Jewish, I just didn't know if he's homosexual or not.

#30 kyredneck, May 10, 2012
  11. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Maggie Gallagher, co-founder of the National Organization for Marriage and a leading supporter of the constitutional amendment approved in North Carolina on Tuesday, said she welcomed Obama's announcement at the same time she disagreed with it.

"Politically, we welcome this," she said. "We think it's a huge mistake. President Obama is choosing the money over the voters the day after 61 percent of North Carolinians in a key swing state demonstrated they oppose gay marriage."

House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi instantly sought political gain from the president's announcement. The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee issued an email in her name that asked recipients to "stand with President Obama." Such requests are often followed by a solicitation for campaign donations..."

I dare say it's probably >80% here in KY that oppose it.

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

On this end of the state, voters are really in a catch 22. Obama only got 30% in some counties around here last time. However, the people I go to church with, and work with, cannot stand Romney for obvious reasons. Many I have talked to will enter the voting booth and not pull the Presidential lever, and will all others. Not that Obama was going to win anyhow, but that comment might take some of those who were going to skip the Presidential race to mark Romney. Time will tell.

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unable to vote in the poll!
    I never assume the defenition of "gay"
    Now, it appears you meant homosexual - but unless I know for sure......

L.E.F.T

14. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You may or may not be right. Politicians make calculated decisions and I am sure this is a calculated decision, a calculated risk if you want.

1. He knows that there is X% of the voters who would never vote for him for a variety of reasons. So for the election he needs pay no attention to their wants and criticisms as they will never vote for him regardless.

2. It will swing gay voters to his side. That would be quite a switch in the 2010 elections where many gays votee for Republican candidates.

3. Since a majority of Americans currently favor gay marriage this will simply agree with their sentiments, which can change, and make them more inclined to vote for him.

4. It may well erode some of the Hispanic vote.

5. While the Catholic hierarchy is against gay marriage the majority of practicing Catholics support gay marriage, so it probably will not harm Obama among Catholic voters and may help him.

It may help him in that the mood of the country has changed since 2008 and dramatically since 2005. At that time a majority of Americans disapproved of the concept of gay marriage. The latest figures I have heard and seen indicate that now a majority of Americans favor gay marriage and/or civil unions.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/im...t/gaymarriage.jpg?uuid=5DQ6ophhEeGSfCkRMMmN_w

The election is a long way off yet. Much can happen.

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

This may be enough to push many who would not think of voting for Gov Romney to do so. The president just wrote off any chance of picking up a southern state and will probably now lose Virginia. I think Florida now leans to Romney.

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Because of the way the electoral college works, you are right. People who would tend to vote for Obama on this issue now are in states he is going to carry anyhow. This is the first time I have thought Romney has a chance.

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Exactly my thought when I read this. I can now see the entire geographic souther tier of states, from Virginia to Arizona going to Governor Romney. Here is my take at the moment, which has Romney right on 268

THE WAY I SEE IT

Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania could all go for Gov Romney as well.

#37 NaasPreacher (C4K), May 10, 2012
  18. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know, this may sound real paranoid on my part, BUT, I keep having this nagging 'feeling' that this move could be a deliberate ploy to actually throw the election to the Republicans and let them catch the heat when the predicted forecasted economic crisis hits in 2014-15. Romney could become the next 'Hoover'.

#38 kyredneck, May 10, 2012
  19. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Not sure if it is intended, but this could be the result, allowing Sec Clinton to take office in January 2017. Like her or not she is the true statesman of the party.

Of course, to me the best solution is for all government to get out of the marriage business and only deal with legal civil unions.

I did not vote in the poll. I don't think it will energise the Republicans, but will force the hand of many who would never otherwise have voted for Gov Romney. With this they will hold their noses, walk in the booth, and cast a vote they hate.

#39 NaasPreacher (C4K), May 10, 2012
  20. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I must admit (and 20 years ago I'd never thought I'd be saying this) Hillary has done an excellent job as SOS. I look at her differently now; odd.