1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obamacare Mandate: Anyone Who Works 30-Hour Week Is Now 'Full-Time'

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A little-known section in the Obamacare health reform law defines “full-time” work as averaging only 30 hours per week, a definition that will affect some employers who utilize part-time workers to trim the cost of complying with the Obamacare rule that says businesses with 50 or more workers must provide health insurance or pay a fine.

“The term ‘full-time employee’ means, with respect to any month, an employee who is employed on average at least 30 hours of service per week,” section 1513 of the law reads. (Scroll down to section 4, paragraph A.)

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/obamacare-mandate-anyone-who-works-30-hour-week-now-full-time

2. targus

targus New Member

That means that people who scrape by on 30 hours per week will now have to scrape by on 29 hours per week.

Why do the people who write these laws think that employers, taxpayers or whoever will not make adjustments to avoid the hardships that these laws make?

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because they do not THINK

4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Disagree! :saint:

It's because they do think. They are gradually molding this country into exactly what they THINK it should be. With this 30 hour stipulation in place, it'll be easier to move that mark to 25 hours, 20, etc. And eventually do away with a "part-time" designation. -- Anyone who works any number of hours on a scheduled basis will be "full-time" for with regards to any employee benefits offered by a company.

5. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

You could be correct, my friend. When I was a kid most men worked 10 to 12 hours a day 6 days a week. Then the work week went to 10 hours a day 5 days a week and lunch break didn't count so it was 11 hours. Now I believe most work a 40 hour week, where 32 hours is full time I believe.

6. billwald

billwald New Member

Bob - you pushing 90? I'm only 72. My Old Man had a blue collar job and paid the bills on 40 hours a week.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This will create a host of more under employed people. If a company offers benefits at 40 hours a week and has a work force of pt employees working 35 hours, they will be dropped to 25 - 29 hours. This also allows for additional hiring of more employees at 25 hours reducing the unemployment numbers. The first person is now struggling and the second...but the ue numbers dropped! We are in a recovery folks!

8. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Yep, we are in recovery. Part time workers are being hired for the upcoming holiday season, which will make the unemployment numbers drop. Until they are laid off after Christmas.

Heard yesterday that UPS (think that's the carrier) is adding 20,000 jobs for the seasonal increase in shipping.

Gas prices are dropping, too. Not, just in time for a traditional travel period. Just in time to "feel good" about the economy before elections. Coincidence?

9. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

That is great, but it wasn't so in my part of the world.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When my grandfathers forked in the mines, when they needed production, they worked 12 hrs or more 6 days a week.....thats when they worked.....pure supply & demand & dont get sick. :tonofbricks:

11. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Many lines of work was like that. By being in trucking for years I've seen a lot of that.
    Many auto part plants were closed for up to 17 weeks per year, but when they were open they worked long hours. Same in many textile, furniture, appliance factories.
    I use to park my truck for the first 6 to 8 weeks of the year and all of July and 2 or 3 weeks of August. It was a good year if I worked for 35 weeks.

12. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Correct. In fact, Darden Restaurants (Olive Garden, Red Lobster) has already stated their intention of doing this. That is, unless Obamacare is overturned (let's hope).

13. billwald

billwald New Member

14. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually if we are truthful it is caused by excessive taxes and heavy regulations.