1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obama's church?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by exscentric, Mar 13, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see why not.

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Of course you, a liberal democrat, don't

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right-wing Republicans aren't going to vote for Senator Obama anyway and they are the ones having such a hissy fit over this.

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Au contraire. I even heard the left-leaning Air America talking about it. It's also all over msnbc.com.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The difference, MP, is that the liberal media is discussing this issue rationally as compared to the conservative media.

6. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Indeed. The hysteria is laughable at best.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Barack Obama: On My Faith and My Church

The pastor of my church, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, who recently preached his last sermon and is in the process of retiring, has touched off a firestorm over the last few days. He's drawn attention as the result of some inflammatory and appalling remarks he made about our country, our politics, and my political opponents.
    Let me say at the outset that I vehemently disagree and strongly condemn the statements that have been the subject of this controversy. I categorically denounce any statement that disparages our great country or serves to divide us from our allies. I also believe that words that degrade individuals have no place in our public dialogue, whether it's on the campaign stump or in the pulpit. In sum, I reject outright the statements by Rev. Wright that are at issue.
    Because these particular statements by Rev. Wright are so contrary to my own life and beliefs, a number of people have legitimately raised questions about the nature of my relationship with Rev. Wright and my membership in the church. Let me therefore provide some context.
    As I have written about in my books, I first joined Trinity United Church of Christ nearly twenty years ago. I knew Rev. Wright as someone who served this nation with honor as a United States Marine, as a respected biblical scholar, and as someone who taught or lectured at seminaries across the country, from Union Theological Seminary to the University of Chicago. He also led a diverse congregation that was and still is a pillar of the South Side and the entire city of Chicago. It's a congregation that does not merely preach social justice but acts it out each day, through ministries ranging from housing the homeless to reaching out to those with HIV/AIDS.
    Most importantly, Rev. Wright preached the gospel of Jesus, a gospel on which I base my life. In other words, he has never been my political advisor; he's been my pastor. And the sermons I heard him preach always related to our obligation to love God and one another, to work on behalf of the poor, and to seek justice at every turn.
    The statements that Rev. Wright made that are the cause of this controversy were not statements I personally heard him preach while I sat in the pews of Trinity or heard him utter in private conversation. When these statements first came to my attention, it was at the beginning of my presidential campaign. I made it clear at the time that I strongly condemned his comments. But because Rev. Wright was on the verge of retirement, and because of my strong links to the Trinity faith community, where I married my wife and where my daughters were baptized, I did not think it appropriate to leave the church.
    Let me repeat what I've said earlier. All of the statements that have been the subject of controversy are ones that I vehemently condemn. They in no way reflect my attitudes and directly contradict my profound love for this country.
    With Rev. Wright's retirement and the ascension of my new pastor, Rev. Otis Moss, III, Michelle and I look forward to continuing a relationship with a church that has done so much good. And while Rev. Wright's statements have pained and angered me, I believe that Americans will judge me not on the basis of what someone else said, but on the basis of who I am and what I believe in; on my values, judgment and experience to be President of the United States.

- http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post/samgrahamfelsen/gGBzFP

8. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I believe that by November, this will be a distant memory.

9. targus

targus New Member

For most people - yes.

For the white and Hispanic racist's that the Clinton's have been delicately courting - no.

The Clinton campaign more than once has pointed out that Obama is a Black man.
    As though someone might miss it.

10. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What I seen in the clips is a congregation whooping and cheering as Wright was spewing out lies about this country and spewing out hate. They were cheering when Wright said the US government planted the AIDS virus into the black community. They cheered when he said the government places drugs into the black community so they can bust them and put them into prisons. This goes far beyond a retiring pastor.

How do you preach social justice when your facts are taken from lala land?

Here again he wants to make it a Wright issue. This entire congregation cheered at Wrights sermons on hate. "The Gospel of Jesus Christ"? I think not.

God Bless! :jesus:

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only a minority of people in these United States will even recall who Pastor Wright is by November 4. Senator Obama's campaign will do just fine in defeating
    Senator John McCain

#91 KenH, Mar 15, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  12. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If the media does it's job and does not allow Obama's fellowship with this congregation slide it will be a fatal blow for him.

Obama is hoping if Wright goes away then the issue will go away. The problem is the congregation is still there, the congregation that was cheering Wright's hate.

And what about the pastor who is taking over? What is his views about Wright? He should publicly denunce Wright as well if Obama wants us to believe this is a Wright issue and the churches problem is solved by him retiring. I HIGHLY doubt the new pastor, no doubt hand picked by Wright himself, is any different than the man who mentored him.

God Bless!

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    People vote for candidates, not a congregation.

Even Senator John McCain will survive his association with the likes of John Hagee and Rod Parsley as by November only a minority of people in these United States will even recall who they are.

Why should the media perform a hatchet job on behalf of the Republican Party? Republicans have proven in the past that they are quite capable in engaging and succeeding at the politics of personal destruction - even toward a bona fide war hero such as Max Cleland who gave several limbs in the service of these United States.

#93 KenH, Mar 15, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  14. PastorSBC1303

There is a huge difference between an "association" with someone and having been someone's pastor for 20 years, a close friend, mentor, and an active part of the campaign.

The Democrats have proven in the past they are more than capable of engaging and succeeding at the politics of personal destruction as well. So lets make sure we keep all the facts straight.

If McCain had a known and vocal White Supremicist as his pastor for 20 years, close friend, mentor and an active part of the campaign the democrats would be going wild with the attacks as well as KenH would be starting numerous "thumbs down" threads around here to spread their agenda.

15. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Your are wise Ken. And people want to know who the candidates admire and who they fellowship with. Birds of a feather flock together.

And I would be proud to fellowship with Hagee, I don't really know much about Parsley.

God Bless! :thumbs:

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean like the right-wing posters are doing on this board?

I am put off by Senator McCain being endorsed by the likes of John Hagee and Rod Parsley, much less by a white supremacist.

17. PastorSBC1303

Good job on completely ignoring the point Ken.

You and I both know it is true.

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, then, you won't get my vote if you run for president. :laugh:

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't ignore your point. You just don't like that I successfully countered it.

20. PastorSBC1303

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeah, thats it.

But thats ok, I know you know its true.

Nice to see you have your Obama avatar back up, you should really consider getting an avatar such as...

[​IMG]