1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obama's Opportunity

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by steaver, Mar 16, 2008.

1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Obama has his first serious decision before him to make that could show he is a leader fit for all Americans regardless of color or could destroy his chance of becoming President.

His future rest in what he will do in these next few days, maybe even what he will say this day if he goes on the Sunday talk shows.

If he continues to defend his position of not leaving this fellowship or at the least calling on this fellowship to repent or he will leave it, then he is finished.

If on the other hand he comes out and declares that this fellowship has gone astray and no longer holds to his own matured beliefs about race, and states he will no longer be fellowshipping with this congregation, then he will probably clinch the nomination and maybe even the Presidency.

This is his problem that he is not seeing as of yet. It is this church, this fellowship, that has the problem. It is not just one retiring preacher. Wright's understudy taking over is likely a chip off the block. This congregation whoops and cheers as Wright spews out his racist remarks.

This is more than a pastor problem and Obama must acknowledge what America sees in this church and leave this fellowship with a denouciation of it's racist rhetoric.

Let's see what happens. It is all up to Obama's ability to make a correct judgment. His future life in politics depends on this very crisis he faces. Can he rise above this and lead America out of racism, or will he keep his allegence with this racist fellowship at the expense of his future life in politics?

It all hinges on this one test. Will Obama make the right choice? This is do or die time.

God Bless! :wavey:

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The right-wing is making way, way, way, way too big of a deal over Pastor Wright's statements.

After this weekend this whole issue will fade away.

The right-wing will have to find something else to use in its politics of personal destruction campaign toward Senator Obama.

It is clear that this issue is not hurting Senator Obama's campaign. He picked up several more delegates just yesterday in Iowa when some Edwards delegates switched to support of him. :thumbs:

#2 KenH, Mar 16, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Dems supporting a Dem is not an indication of the general election. Also Clinton is going down in flames and he is the only other choice.

4. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "master's" minions are fawning appropriately!!!:sleeping_2:
    Nothing new here!:thumbs:

MARANATHA!!!!

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The right-wing is using the politics of personal destruction attempting to influence the Democratic Party primaries. As we saw yesterday in Iowa it isn't working. By the time of the general election the right-wing won't have anything left to attempt to smear Senator Obama.

The right-wing in this country stinks politically and I look forward to their party - the Republican Party - going down in flames on November 4. :)

6. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Actually I am hoping Obama will do the right thing and reprove this fellowship asking them to repent of their racist rhetoric.

I also pray God will convict him of his sin of supporting the slaughter of innocent babies through the power of his vote.

We have the power to stop the slaughter as well through our votes. Sadly, even professing Christians brush it off and focus on self interest.

God Bless! :thumbs:

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    An observation: Steaver, you sure do spend a lot of time on this board telling other people what they need to repent of and telling God to convict other people.

8. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We all have our gift from God Ken, I believe my is to preach the word.....

2Ti 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

Eph 5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove [them].

Jam 5:20Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

I welcome reproof with scripture for I am far from perfect and want to be sure that my views are lining up with God's word. Remenber, I posted before that i once believed pro-choice until God's word was shown to me and I sen I needed to repent. I have repented of many things over the years.

God's word should be our view and position on ALL subjects! Yes, even politics Ken.

God Bless! :wavey:

#8 steaver, Mar 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2008
  9. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I would say your "gift" lies more in being an irritant toward those you disagree with.

10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I like it dragonfly :laugh:

God loves humor as well!

11. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

..:thumbs:

12. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Breaking News!!!

Obama's fellowship, The United Church of Christ, has dealt a huge blow to candidate Obama.

They released a statement placing their full support behind Wright's "social gospel" they call it. Gospel means truth and this indorsement of Wright's racist rhetoric demonstrates what i have been saying all along that this is a congregational problem.

Obama has no choice now but to repudiate the congregation or suffer the end of his run for President.

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Link please?

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess I have to do steaver's work for him. :)

“AN ATTACK ON OUR SENIOR PASTOR AND THE HISTORY OF THE AFRICAN AMERICAN CHURCH”:

Chicago, Ill. (March 15, 2008) — Nearly three weeks before the 40th commemorative anniversary of the murder of the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., the Reverend Dr. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr.’s character is being assassinated in the public sphere because he has preached a social gospel on behalf of oppressed women, children and men in America and around the globe.

“Dr. Wright has preached 207,792 minutes on Sunday for the past 36 years at Trinity United Church of Christ. This does not include weekday worship services, revivals and preaching engagements across America and around the globe, to ecumenical and interfaith communities. It is an indictment on Dr. Wright’s ministerial legacy to present his global ministry within a 15- or 30-second sound bite,” said the Reverend Otis Moss III, pastor of Trinity United Church of Christ.

During the 36-year pastorate of Dr. Wright, Trinity United Church of Christ has grown from 87 to 8,000 members. It is the largest congregation in the United Church of Christ (UCC) denomination.

“It saddens me to see news stories reporting such a caricature of a congregation that has been such a blessing to the UCC’s Wider Church mission,” said the Rev. John H. Thomas, UCC general minister and president, in a released statement. “ … It’s time for us to say ‘No’ to these attacks and declare that we will not allow anyone to undermine or destroy the ministries of any of our congregations in order to serve their own narrow political or ideological ends.”

Trinity United Church of Christ’s ministry is inclusive and global. The following ministries have been developed under Dr. Wright’s ministerial tutelage for social justice: assisted living facilities for senior citizens, day care for children, pastoral care and counseling, health care, ministries for persons living with HIV/AIDS, hospice training, prison ministry, scholarships for thousands of students to attend historically black colleges, youth ministries, tutorial and computer programs, a church library, domestic violence programs and scholarships and fellowships for women and men attending seminary.

Moss added, “The African American Church was born out of the crucible of slavery and the legacy of prophetic African American preachers since slavery has been and continues to heal broken marginalized victims of social and economic injustices. This is an attack on the legacy of the African American Church which led and continues to lead the fight for human rights in America and around the world.”

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. preached the Christian tenet, “love thy neighbor as thyself.” Before Dr. King was murdered on April 4, 1968, he preached, “The 11 o’clock hour is the most segregated hour in America.” Forty years later, the African American Church community continues to face bomb threats, death threats, and their ministers’ characters are assassinated because they teach and preach prophetic social concerns for social justice. Sunday is still the most segregated hour in America.

- http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/03/obamas-church-b.html

#14 KenH, Mar 16, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) Have you read the statement? It is a fine statement. I have posted it just above. What don't you like about it?

2) You sure are anxious to get Senator Obama out of the race. Of course, if I was a supporter of Senator McCain I would be, too. :laugh:

16. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, this is whyi posted the "breaking news"

I already said...

"because he has preached a social gospel on behalf of oppressed women, children and men in America and around the globe".

They fully agree with Wrights racist statements.

Fine statement indeed!

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally, I think that Christians should stand up on behalf of the oppressed around the globe - in and out of the womb.

18. Justlittleoldme

Justlittleoldme New Member

I agree but I think it can be done without simulating a sex act, using God´s name in a commonly used profanity and slandering ones own nation behind the pulpit.

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) Huh?

2) What I heard was not a profanity. It was the same usage as Charlton Heston at the end of the first "Planet of the Apes" movie and as Richard Harris early in "Cromwell". I don't agree with the pastor's comments; however, he was not using a profanity as he used a noun and a verb.

20. Justlittleoldme

Justlittleoldme New Member

I guess you didn`t see his comments on Bill and Monica Lowinsky and his comparing this (and simulating it at the same time) of what he has done to blacks?

YOu can see it yourself on this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enMWfQl_Qeg

#20 Justlittleoldme, Mar 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2008