1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obama's spending proposals

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by ajg1959, Oct 7, 2008.

1. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

""OBAMA: "Actually I'm cutting more than I'm spending so that it will be a net spending cut."

THE FACTS: The bipartisan Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget estimates Obama would increase spending by $425 billion over four years and reduce spending by $144 billion for a net increase in the deficit of $281 billion. Obama has said he'll cut pork-barrel programs and the costs of the war in Iraq to pay for his programs — as well as raise taxes on the wealthy — but the specifics of his new spending plans outweigh the few spending cuts he's identified.

___

How can he spend 281 billion more and still cut taxes?

One misleading fact about the 10 billion a month he would save us in Iraq, is that we have to fund those troops even when they are at home. I would like to see the real figures that compare the difference between the cost of them serving in Iraq and serving here at home. BTW, I dont know about now, but when I was in the Army, an overseas tour was mandatory. everyone did it. So, what is the real difference in costs?

AJ

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obama has called for or endorsed over $1 TRILLION in new spending.

Can you spell tax increase? Huge tax increases.

3. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I remember 25 years ago or so in one of Ronald Reagan's state of the union addresses, when he told us that the national debt was approaching a trillion dollars. He made several comparisons about stacking one dollar bills and how far they would reach to make a trillion dollars.

Today, a trillion is not much. The bailout is 3/4 trillion by itself.

AJ

4. Analgesic

Analgesic New Member

Unless I'm missing something, the obvious answer to your question would be in the quote you provided: Obama has given more specific details on his spending plans than his revenue plans. While this is certainly an issue upon which he should be pressed, it does not mean that his "net spending cut" statement was incorrect.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    BO does have a somewhat vaild point - though he probally not aware of it. Some 20% (gussmations of the troops in a combat zone are Reserve/national Guard. When they return, they will go back to their cillvian job and no longer recieve a full months militray pay check ( just their 4 days pay for 2 days of work on reserve weekends) Also, keep in mind that the entire paycheck of a GI is tax free for the time he is in a combat zone. So a First Sgt making maybe $5,000 a month keeps the $1,000 a month that otherwise would go to the IRS.

But, there is one other problem. When Pvt Jones and Sgt Smith return with their NG unit, they will go back to the Auto repair shop they work at.

Well Mr. Jackson and Mr. Carter who were hired as temps to fill in for the two GI's; are now out of a job and will be given unemployment insurance.

Multiply that a few thousand times over...