1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obey!

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by th1bill, Oct 13, 2012.

1. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luk 3:21 Now when all the people were baptised, Jesus was also baptised, and while He was praying, heaven was opened,
    Luk 3:22 and the Holy Spirit descended upon Him in bodily form like a dove, and a voice came out of heaven, "You are My beloved Son, in You I am well-pleased."

There is an inferred lie being taught in churches today that I like to see discussed. From the prophets of the Old Testament the Jewish Believer knew that a man, now known as John the Baptist, would be the fore runner of the Messiah, the Christ in Greek. When John came out of the Wilderness preaching the Baptism and Repentance, the Faithful went to him to be baptised, to be obedient to the Father in Heaven.

As nearly as I can reckon it Jesus was born about six months after John, making them, not just some distant relative to each other, they were, though raised apart, close contemporaries. John recognized Jesus as the Christ the very moment Jesus appeared and, thus, proclaimed Him to be such. John called Jesus the Lamb of God. Until Jesus died on the cross a lamb was sacrificed, at least, every year for a man's sins and John announces Him to be God's Lamb.

The inferred lie comes from a truth in the manor it is taught or explained. It is, absolutely, true that any Christian that has, nasty word, submitted their life to the, another nasty, service of God is not condemned by the, so called Mosaic Law. Every man and woman seated in the Church on Sunday Morning that as not made this commitment is condemned by the Law of our God. They are no better off, eternally, than the drunk in the juke joint on Saturday night.

Jesus, while He was on the Earth, set an example of what we were to strive to become and for us to follow and Jesus, being God (John 1:1-3) did not find nor did He need salvation and the reason He went to the cross for me and for you was to restore our fellowship with God and it all boils down in the end of it all to obedience to the Father. Jesus prayed in the garden for “...this cup...” to pass him by, followed with, “...not my will but Thine.” Jesus was being obedient to all that is written in the Old Testament and to the Father! And in doing so, set, not only an example, but also, a standard.

Jesus told us He came not to do away with the Law but to fulfil it. Now, I suggest to you, Jesus is the example we are to strive to follow! Comments?

2. 12strings

12strings Active Member

That Jesus Obeyed the Father, I grant.

That we are to follow Jesus' example, I grant.

That lack of obedience is a sign of non-conversion, I grant...But...It is very difficult to measure the level of one's commitment or obedience when trying to determine salvation. We are not saved by our obedience, but by Christ's (Rom. 10:1-4).

In addition, 1 Cor. 3 (whole chapter) seems to speak to a people who were wordly, fleshly, but who were none-the-less "infants in Christ", "God's temple", and "Christ's." It seems it IS possible for Christians to be act in wordly ways...not that we should...but we often do.

3. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All true, my neighbor, and this post is meant to envoke conversation with those, inside the Church Membership that wil be thought of as Babes in Christ and the many millions i call Pew Whales. On another forum this very post has been shot at by one that should be most concerned, indicating that it has caused her to begin a Spiritual Inventory.

There is, today, two groups of people, believing themselves saved that, surely, need to do just that. The second, or apparently newer, group, the New Covenant Christian has completely disavowed the Bible used by Jesus, John, Paul, Peter and the others and the seldom understood, first group the New Testament Christisan tends to regard it as superceded. All of this, in spite of the fact that without the Old Testament, the New has no basis in truth. Jesus, the aurthor of the Old Testament (John 1:1-3) and everyone of the twelve taught the truth of what Jesus accomplished from this Bible.

I have even run accross the term, New Testament Christian, being used in my Church Family and we are Bible believing and living Baptists. Most of the Church today does not understand the "movement" nor are they even, most often, aware that thre is one. So it is that this, simple, message is for a wide range of folks, in and out of the Church.

God Bless, my brother.