1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Objections to the Teetotalism view on Alcohol

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Aug 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea....that's what Bars are for...LOL

2. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was thinking the same thing.

My husband and I have different standards when it comes to drinking and driving with mine being the higher of the two, since I have personal experience with a drunk driver, so my husband out of love defers to my standard.

3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Indeed but the pastor asked for objections and I will give him plenty.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

A most helpful post. What are your sources? I do not believe God Gave Wine contains all this info. Did you get this from another book and which one? Thanks.

5. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

My direct sources are the various Bible verses I cited in my post(s) in this thread.

Other indirect sources include The Complete Word Study Dictionary: New Testament by Spiros Zodhiates, Th.D.; (c) 1992 [Rev. Ed., 1993]; Published by AMG International, Inc., Chattanooga, TN; ISBN 0-89957-663-X. (Note: I'm not sure if this dictionary is separately available. My copy is part of a 4 volume set that also included Dr. Zodhiates' Complete Word Study Old Testament, his Word Study Dictionary: Old Testament, and his Complete Word Study New Testament. You may try checking with either Amazon or directly with AMG.)

Other secondary sources would be books on the manners and customs of the biblical era.

The two books on this topic that I most frequently use are James M. Freeman's Manners & Customs of the Bible. Whitaker House (whitakerhouse.com) has reprinted Freeman's classic work on this subject (ISBN 0-88368-290-7).

A newer book on this topic is Victor H. Matthews' Manners & Customs in the Bible, published by Hendrickson Pubs. The original edition was (c) 2006. Its ISBN is 1-56563-704-6.

There's also several useful biblical Greek study resources that are now keyed to Strong's numbering system. They are a real godsend for those who've never taken any seminary-level biblical language courses.

Greek is a very complex language to master because it's a very inflected language--especially its verbs. This can be very important to know in many cases, because English isn't primarily a very inflected language. While Greek verb tenses often will distinguish between a "point action" or a "continuous action," one doesn't usually see that in the English language.

Such a distinction is often helpful when trying to interpret, for example, the usage of our English word "sin"/"sinneth" in First John.

6. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As you make it clear to your wife, your stepson, your pastor and anyone that finds your posting that you show no respect and no regard for the pastor over you, or the church that you have willingly joined. You knew their stand when you joined, yet said you were willing to abide by those stances as a member. You are showing that your word means nothing since you are going against the church you willingly joined.

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I have taken courses in theology in seminary but not in biblical languages. At the undergrad level however I did take two exegesis of Paul's letters and so am familiar with the kinds of books that you cited. Unfortunately post school I do not have access to all these resources. But yes I do have Gowers version of manners and customs of biblical times, and a word study dictionary, vines dictionary, etc.. However all too often it's far easier reading a book on the topic. Less work....

8. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A vines dictionary will be very useful to you studying about wine. :laugh:

9. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Clever

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would certainly hope so.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :1_grouphug:
    Good for you:thumbsup:

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again.....is this another one of those Fundi churches?

13. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

I never took any foreign languages in either my bachelor or my master's level courses at Austin Peay State University in Clarksville TN. All of my courses were in history at APSU, so I wasn't required to take any foreign languages.

I wish that I would have taken Latin because many European historical figures in the Middle Ages wrote a majority of their works in Latin back then since in those days Latin was considered to be a universal language.

Unfortunately, APSU didn't even offer Latin back in the 1970's, thus, even if I'd wanted to take an instructor-led class in Latin back then, APSU didn't even offer it.

Currently, APSU doesn't even offer a separate graduate major in history. As far as I know, now graduate history courses are combined with philosophy courses.

Thankfully, back in the late 1960's - early 1970's I was a member of an IFBC that offered an introductory course in Biblical Greek.

My pastor at that time was quite a scholar of Kione Greek. He said that if anyone wanted to take his course in introductory Greek at the Bible Institute that was sponsored at the IFBC where he pastored, he'd guarantee that no one would fail the first semester of his two-semester course.

WPE3BQL took his first semester class, but all I ever made was a D minus.

One of the reasons I did so poorly was because the last English course I took was in high school--and that was about 10 years prior to my enrolling in my pastor's Greek class.

Moreover, even in that high school English class, our teacher spent no more than a couple class sessions reviewing English grammar so that she could begin covering literature.

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you use your new icon to chase rabbits?

15. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

E,W & F ---

Please clarify your statement which is quoted above.

It's a bit unclear--at least to me it is--as to what being a "Fundi" church has to do with the OP?

I've been a member nearly a half dozen of what you appear to describe as a "Fundi" churches since I received Christ as my Savior in 1966. Granted, none of them favored using alcohol as a beverage in any social gatherings but none of them refused membership of a person simply because he might have taken a sip or two on an occasion.

I suppose you must have some kind of beef with churches that identify themselves as, to use your expression, "fundi" churches.

I'll admit that none of the churches God led me to join in my 49+ years as a born-again believer were 100% faultless in every single action they may have taken while I held membership in them, but I appreciated the blessings I received while I was/am with them.

Perhaps your experience(s) with "Fundi" churches were/are different than mine. But, while I didn't always agree 100% of the time with the actions that the IF Baptist church of which I was a member at the time, my experiences of the vast majority of the IF Baptist were overall quite positive.

When it comes to the OP's topic of teetotalism, my previous posts in this thread indicate that the NT nowhere condemns the mere usage of alcoholic beverages per se, none of the IF Baptist churches ever formed any vigilante committees to ferret out any of their members simply because the took of, say, Jack Daniels, or Coors bear, or a bit more NyQuil that the doctor suggested.

Maybe my experiences with IF Baptist churches are different than other BB members who belong to them, but your broad-brush implication of all "Fundi" churches, IMHO, is something that I believe is not only an uncalled for accusation, but quite an affront to the BB members who indentify with IF Baptist churches.

16. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It bothers me too. But it must be noted that our friend, evangelist6589, has done more than his share of name-calling and accusations.

I would hope that those who are much wiser and more mature in their faith would experience the grace to not react in kind, but to speak more gently as evangelist6589 permits.

I have also noticed that evangelist6589 frequently solicits advice and then when sound (and even unsound) advice is given, rejects all of it without any serious engagement and then tries to portray himself as above the opinions of mere men, while quoting mere men like Ray Comfort, John Piper, and John Macarthur.

It gets maddening.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [crude, vulgar language snipped]

#117 Earth Wind and Fire, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2015
  18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    why are you jumping to conclusions?

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Kingdom of God is not meat and drink, and yet we will fight for our bellies.

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He wasn't. You need to flesh-out what you mean with more than a murky phrase which needs much more of an explanation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.