1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Observations from an Aussie on minimum wage

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by billwald, Dec 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you ever been to McDonald's - and seen a mentally retarded person sweep the floor and wash the door windows? I don't know their actual pay scale, but it probably has to be minimum wage - and then the govt probably does subsidize the business to hire them. Seriously, Bill, if your were an employer would you hire someone at 7.25 just to sweep the floors - if you did not get a govt subsidy. Just a simple yes or no will do.

Salty

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

Two jobs come to mind:

1. BB moderator
    2. Union steward

I get amused (and sometimes irritated) upon watching our teachers union--the AEA--go into conniptions here in Alabama. They talk about the low pay, but conveniently forget that we have one of the lowest costs of living, as well as overall tax rates, in the country.

Simply comparing salaries mean little without a corresponding cost of living index.

I'm just thankful to live in a state that, outside of the teacher's union (which is far too powerful), has largely escaped from the grip and corruption that most unions bring upon most states.

3. billwald

billwald New Member

If he was an industrious sweeper and cleaner upper he would be worth minimum wage. We try to stop at Chevron gas stations because their bathrooms are always clean - except maybe in southern Cal.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

and now (maybe) Bill will answer my question

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

Let me get this straight: You want him to stay on topic for more than 1 post?

Good luck with that project. His next post will probably discuss the brand of coffee served at his local city council meeting.

6. billwald

billwald New Member

your question: Seriously, Bill, if your were an employer would you hire someone at 7.25 just to sweep the floors

my answer: If he was an industrious sweeper and cleaner upper he would be worth minimum wage.

Doesn't anyone on this list know how to read?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.