1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obstructions to repentance

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Pastor_Bob, May 25, 2005.

1. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mt 3:1 In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea,
    2 And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
    3 For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight. (KJV)

One application of this passage is that John the Baptist was sent to remove obstructions, and to prepare the people for the coming of the Messiah.

His message was that of "repentance." Therefore, a big part of his ministry would be to remove any obstructions to repentance and to make the path straight for the Lord.

I was hoping you all could help me determine what some of those obstructions might be. Self-will, unbelief, love of pleasure, and self-righteousness come to mind. I'm sure there are more.

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I think a big one that gets in the way is that dreaded P word...

PRIDE

3. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I think a lot of the obstructions are less "obvious" like the desire to please or honor your family.

Friendships and family can be a huge obstructions. I know a young person who stopped drinking. They thought they could still remain friends with some people, but found that while they were with those friends they were harrassed and teased for not drinking. They chose to leave those friends behind. Other, well meaning people, then called them conceited and egotistical. Well meaning Christians told them they should "stay and witness." If your family isn't saved, you will probably have a VERY difficult time with people telling you that you're "holier than thou," or "why do you carry that bible around," or "do you think you're better than me."

Maybe it isn't even that they want you to sin, maybe they just want you to ignore God. If you've been called the ministry and your family thinks you should be Donald Trump instead, its HARD.

Traditions. If you grew up in a family that did not honor God or that honored a false God, you may have family traditions that are sinful or that conflict with what God wants you to do. Rejecting the faith of your parents is a frightening thing.

Not doing the do's. If you don't read your bible, if you don't pray, if you don't stay in fellowship with God, you're going to be an easy target for false teachers.

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

False gods (and they could be any thing or person that comes before God).

The need to be right all the time (at any cost).

Rebellion

Drunkeness

Lying

Gossiping

Gluttony

Lasciviousness

Adultery

Fornication

Homosexuality

These things were all present in Bible days and, sadly, are still with us today. :(

§ue

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think most of the time it is focus on self.