1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

October - Reading 20

Discussion in 'Bible Reading Plan 2017' started by Clint Kritzer, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Clint Kritzer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good evening -

Probably the most striking feature in our reading of Jeremiah today is verses 51:59-64. These words are believed to have penned by Baruch, Jeremiah's personal secretary. Seraiah son of Neriah is not mentioned by name until this moment but he is obviously Baruch's brother (Jeremiah 36:4 for one example). I suspect that the words of Jeremiah were no better received in babylon than they were in Judah!

In John today, we see Christ answering the questions of the Pharisses regarding His identity and the nature of His message. We see another Biblical example here that refutes the concept of "works salvation" in verse 6:28-29. The Pharisees believed that the messiah would repeat the miracle of Manna demonstrated to the Israelites in the wilderness. The fact that this passage follows the Feeding of the Five Thousand is no accident. Christ had given a sign (miracle) using "real" bread for one meal whereas Moses had demonstrated "bread from Heaven" for 40 years. Christ states that He is the Bread from Heaven that gives life. Much like the woman at the well the Pharisees were hung up on earthly or physical meanings of hunger and thirst. Verse 35 of this passage is significant for the "I am" phrase. It will be repeated multiple times in this Gospel and echoes Exodus 3:14. (John 6:35; 8:12; 9:5; 10:7, 9, 11, 14; 11:25; 14:6; 15:1, 5)

May God bless you

- Clint

3. he_walks_with_me

he_walks_with_me New Member

[​IMG] Hello Clint,
    I am getting a late start but......
    I am going to read along with you!!!! [​IMG]

4. Clint Kritzer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We will be delighted to have you! The program will continue next year so if you stick with it, you will still read the entire Bible in a year. [​IMG]

5. mark brandwein

mark brandwein New Member

Clint, I was curious about "Manna" (1Cor10:3) Paul refers to manna as "spiritual food". Is this all they ate in the desert for 40 years? What did they drink? Was it just water? Thank you for this reading, It is interesting. God bless [​IMG] Mark

6. Clint Kritzer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Mark -

Manna was not the only food that the Israelites had in the desert. Here's the entry from the ISBE:

As for drink, aside from water, we find wine mentioned some 24 times between Exodus and Deuteronomy with the qualifications for a consecrated priest specifically calling for abstaining from such in Leviticus 10:9 and the Nazerite in Numbers 6:3.

Aside from wine and water, I do not recall any other beverages being mentioned during the 40 years. [​IMG]

7. Clint Kritzer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Upon further investigation, it appears from Deuteronomy 29:6 that the whole of Israel abstained from wine and strong drink during their wandering. That leaves us with just water, that being from the rock.

8. Clint Kritzer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. Clint Kritzer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. Clint Kritzer