1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Odd Comment, Your thoughts...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ShotGunWillie, Aug 21, 2008.

1. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Background: Family has been attending church approximately four times, with several months in between the first two times and the second two. We have attended four morning services, two evening and two Wednesday night sevices. We joined, liking every aspect of church. The following Sunday after joining these events traspired in this order.

1. Sunday School (first time any of us went to their Sunday School) Wheels off, to say the least. Learned nothing, main problem was difference in styles, I like open discussions and preaching left for the Big Church Time.

2. Nusery worker said of my five month old daughter, "Does her mother stay at home?" I said, "yes, yes she does", She replied "Oh that's her problem then". Nusery worker explained to me before I left my daughter with her that she was a professional. Before church services began, the staff in the nursery switched out and my daughter was fine for the rest of the time, they just gave her a bottle and she went to sleep. I told the professional about the bottle prior to walking out before Sunday School started, that's when she said that she knows, she does this for a living.

3. Son's Sunday School teacher told him that if he wanted points he would have to start wearing a collared shirt and a tie and bring his Bible to class. He wears khaki slacks and a polo, like his dad. He always brings his Bible. Why the need for the tie??

4. The icing on the cake: The pastor knows nothing about me, not where I work, not what I do, nothing, he hasn't asked and I haven't volunteered it. I was in a situation where it was just he and I, and he asked me if I worked hard this week, I said "Yep, as always" then he said, 'So how much money did you make this week?" What an odd question I thought, I stopped, he was straight faced waiting for a reply, I just said, "I'm just rolling in it at home". That was the strangest thing I ever had someone ask me, but I will let you respond with what you think before I tell you what I think.

Now, after my first visit to the church, the pastor came out to the house, I live in a mobile home (double wide mind you), so it is way flashy and a straight up phat crib. I am not ashamed of my home, but to be honest, if I had a lot of money, I probably wouldn't be living there.

So, what are your thoughts, what do you think about this? Am I just reading too much into everything?

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

ummm...how about. NEXT....:laugh:

3. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Next what??? Next church or wait until the next odd thing is said?

4. ReformedBaptist

hahaha...next church. Find a good Reformed Baptist one and you won't even have to worry about child care or youth groups. HAHAHA

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

I wouldn't choose a church after only 4 visits, and with children I'd want to know all about their areas of the church, SS and nursery, etc.

6. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Well, if you add it together, we visited 8 times, which we should get a pretty good idea if this is where the Lord is leading us. Trust me, I never saw anything like this coming. My son has been to their Chidren's Church and my daughter has been in their nursery, just not Sunday School or for two hours.

I don't know, I just thought his comment was the oddest thing I have ever heard. I don't care if it was a back handed comment about tithing, you still don't ask people personal stuff like that, as if I go around tooting my own horn about how much I get paid. I was raised different than that.

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

What does that mean? What do you mean "you won't have to worry about child care in a reformed Baptist church? :confused:

8. ReformedBaptist

Hahaha! Amy, usually Reformed Baptist churches don't have childcare above 3-4 years old and there is no youth group or youth pastor. But I was thinking too of my own church. there is no childcare at all and there will never be a youth group.

9. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, I agree it was an odd question. Second, since the Lord has led you there, you have no other option but to buckle down, buy a suit and tie (for you and your son), and volunteer to be a deacon. :smilewinkgrin:

peace to you:praying:

10. rdwhite

rdwhite New Member

Seems kinda weird to me, I would consider several red flags. Maybe it was just an off day, every church can have an off day from time to time. I would pray about it and visit a few more times. If everything smooths out then chalk it up to a bad day. If the same unusual spirit keeps manifesting, I would bid them farewell and find another church.

11. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd never go to that kind of church.

12. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

You've run into a "Twilight Zone" church, Willie!!! Every denomination haz 'um!!!! SBC, IFB, Reformed----makes no difference!!!

There was an episode on TZ I saw once---special guest star was William Shatner--------the episode played out where he and his wife stepped into this Resteraunt "Diner" where they had little "Juke Boxes" at each table---William and his wife sit down at a table---he takes a dme out and puts it in the coin slot of the table Juke Box---------and the "Twilight Zone" began---------------as long as you keep putting dimes in-----you stayed in the "Twilight Zone"-------but you didn't want to "stay" in the "Zone"--------but you couldn't help it--------everytime the juke box song was over-----ole William Shatner would reach into his pocket and pull out another dime and put it in the coin slot-------and back to the "Zone" they both went

I kinda figure----thats the reason the preacher asked you how much money you make-----because---see???------he wants the tithes in dimes----you tithe through the coin slots of the little juke boxes----just like Captain Kirk----I mean, William Shatner-----so Willie----what will it be???? Will you keep puttin' your dimes in the Juke Box coin slot????? Or will you walk out the door and never look back????

Your choice????!!!! But if you join this church-------make sure you have a pocket full of Dimes------you'll need um for the church's Juke Box!!!:type:

Your Southern Baptist preachin' fool,
    Blackbird

13. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

It's none of the pastor's business what you make. I would definitely be looking for a different church. The pastors in the churches I've attended have always said they don't know how much anyone makes or tithes and don't want to know.

14. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unfortunately, some local church bodies put way too much emphasis on these external types of things. I once tried a church and had a similar experience. Everybody I tried to talk to asked what I did before asking me what my name was. It's no secret that some jobs pay more that others, so it appeared to be a round about way of asking the same thing. Apparently they try to size up newcomers this way to see where they might fit into the church hierarchy.

15. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

This could have been a bad Sunday bgut if it turns out it was a normal Sunday run out of that place,
    If you have to seek another church give it about 3 to 6 months before joining so you have time to detect any serious problems. Joining a church to soon is like getting married to the wrong person to quickly it just is not prudent.:type:

16. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

An ounce of prevention...............

Next time go to Sunday School BEFORE joining.:BangHead: Had you done that all this would have been avoided.

Good luck as you go from here.

17. JerryL

JerryL New Member

You can be assured that he was checking you out to see if your offering was enough to match your income.

18. Jonathan

Jonathan Member
    Site Supporter

Are you new to Baptist churches with reformed theology? Your use of "usually" may come from a very small sample size.

There is nothing "unreformed" about a church that has a specific ministry to youth or children.

19. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

One word....

....comes to mind when I think about the comments from the pastor and workers: TACKY!

I wouldn't go back.