1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Of Hate-Speech and Hypocrisy

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Mar 9, 2007.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCommentary.asp?Page=/Commentary/archive/200703/COM20070309a.html

Of Hate-Speech and Hypocrisy
    By Patrick Goodenough
    CNSNews.com Managing Editor
    March 09, 2007

(Contains language that may be offensive to some readers.)

EXCERPT

(CNSNews.com) - The left-wing Daily Kos blog has been driving a campaign to have companies pull ads from Ann Coulter's website after the conservative author used a slur in a recent speech, but leftist websites -- including Daily Kos -- have themselves used the offending word in the past.

Daily Kos postings have included the word "faggot" at least three times in recent years, as have other liberal blogs -- without apology, and without generating a furor.

SNIP

Homosexual-rights groups employ a double standard too, it appears.

In its response to Coulter's remarks last Friday, GLAAD not only slammed the author but accused CPAC itself of promoting "discriminatory policies," and GLAAD president Neil Giuliano called on media organizations -- NBC News in particular -- to stop offering Coulter a platform.

Three years ago, however, GLAAD took a rather different approach when rapper 50 Cent told Playboy magazine, "I ain't into faggots ... We refer to gay people as faggots, as homos. It could be disrespectful, but that's the facts."

In that instance, GLAAD responded with a polite -- almost respectful -- press release expressing "concern" about the comments, and inviting 50 Cent to attend GLAAD's annual media awards.

And no, there was no suggestion that anyone stop giving the platinum-selling New York "gangsta" a platform.

2. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Thank you for the idea, I think I'll write a letter to her advertisers as well.

3. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, when they say it, it's free speech. When you say it, it's hate speech. The left virtually controlled all the media until recently, they are used to attacking, not defending.

They've made their little campaigns against Ann Coulter before. This:

http://www.sweetness-light.com/archive/gay-rights-group-seeks-to-silence-coulter-ban-her-column

isn't going to work this time, either, these people are professional victims.

4. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Ann Coulter has absolutely NOTHING worthwhile to say. I try to completely ignore her. <personal attack deleted - LE>.

#4 StraightAndNarrow, Mar 9, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  5. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Ann Coulter has lots of good sense commentary and I do enjoy most of her writing. I plan on continuing to "support" her by reading what she has to say.

I'm all for the war we fought against Germany led by Adolph Hitler. Ann Coulter has "NOTHING" in common with Adolph Hitler other than being a born sinner like all the rest of us.

Homosexual conduct deserves descriptive words that do not rationalize, excuse, approve, or otherwise suggest any support whatsoever for it. "Gay" is an inappropriate word for it because it suggest happiness.

There's no evidence I know of to suggest John Edwards is homosexual so I don't think he deserved to be called, even indirectly, a "faggot".

I don't like John Edwards. He has declared that homosexual conduct is not a sin and that is contrary to God's word.

#5 Dragoon68, Mar 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2007
  6. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know, Dragoon68, John Edwards needs to stop speaking for Jesus:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/03/05/politics/p135336S12.DTL&type=politics

and be a good little trial laywer and go back to his new mansion.

Okay, I'm invoking Godwin's Law.

#6 777, Mar 9, 2007
  7. rbell

rbell Active Member

I'm not a coulter fan...but I don't think she tried to eliminate a race of people from the planet...

Maybe a wee bit of hyperbole here?

#7 rbell, Mar 9, 2007
  8. Timotheus

Timotheus New Member

I thought I've heard everything, but this tops it. Ann Coulter may be a lot of things but Adolph Hitler she is not! I think you owe her an apology. :(

#8 Timotheus, Mar 10, 2007
  9. Timotheus

Timotheus New Member

rbell, I thought that is a cute signature! :thumbs:

10. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

But you support Coulter who, in your own admission, deliberately slurred Edwards. Maybe we shoud investigate Ann's sexual propensities.

11. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

So what? There's no "but" about it!

I "support" lots of people in different situations which doesn't mean I give everything they do or say a blanket endorsement! Does anyone agree 100% with everything another does? Hey, I don't even agree with my own conduct some of the time! So far, I've found very little to agree with you about but there's hope we might agree on something in which case I'd "support" you as well.

Regardless, I enjoy Ann Coulter's political commentaries very much and I plan to continue enjoying them. I don't see any need to "investigate" anything about her. I don't give a flip about gossip type stuff such as her "sexual propensities". That's good material for the tabloids if you're in to that kind of reading.

Plain and simple, I don't agree with her comments about John Edwards. She gave an explanation of her comments which I don't completely buy but, given the whole of the situation, I'm just not going to nail her to a cross because of it. I can clearly see the mileage that some want to make of it.

I don't have a problem with the word, per se, that she used. I don't like the word "gay" because it's not derogatory enough of homosexual conduct. It's an otherwise good word that's been stolen to rationalize bad conduct. I prefer the words that put homosexuality in its proper place.

I also don't agree with John Edwards' position regarding homosexuals but that sure doesn't make him one. His position is dangerous to our nation if he were to be elected President. I want a leader that calls homosexual conduct what it is and makes no excuses for it.

#11 Dragoon68, Mar 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2007
  12. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Straightandnarrow:
    Or your own, maybe.