1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

# Of Sentences In Various Versions

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I put this together a couple months ago . I wanted to know how some versions compared with one another as to the number of sentences per chapter .

E = ESV ,T= TNIV , H = HCSB , N = NLTse , R = NIrV

This little survey will only deal with the first chapter of some New Testament books .

Romans 1
    E -- 22
    T -- 28
    H -- 30
    N -- 46
    R -- 98

1 Corinthians 1
    E -- 26
    T -- 30
    H -- 29
    N -- 43
    R -- 76

2 Corinthians 1
    E --25
    T --27
    H --22
    N --41
    R --73

Galatians 1
    E --19
    T --23
    H --22
    N --30
    R --64

Ephesians 1
    E --8
    T --14
    H --15
    N --25
    R --65

Philippians 1
    E --23
    T --27
    H --26
    N --40
    R --68

Colossians 1
    E --17
    T --20
    H --24
    N --44
    R --87

What have we discovered ? The TNIV and HCSB run about neck n' neck with just a bit more verses than the ESV . ( Of course 2 Cor. 1 was an exception . There the HCSB had 3 verses less than the ESV ) .

The NLTse was rather balanced in its number of sentences . And way off in an extreme way the NIrV had a great many more sentences than even the NLTse did . Naturally , since it's geared toward remedial readers and those who understand English as a second language . Those folks need shorter sentences .

As a further bit of info I thought it might be fun to see how many sentences were in certain units of thought within two of these chapters .

In Ephesians 1:15-21 :
    E -- 1
    T -- 3
    H -- 4
    N -- 4
    R -- 19 (!)

In Colossians 1:9-12
    E -- 2
    T -- 2
    H -- 3
    N -- 7
    R -- 14 (!!)

Those who prefer more formal-equivalent versions usually protest against breaking up units of thought into too many sentences as the more functionally-equivalent ones do . ( For that sentence of mine perhaps I should have broken it up more :)

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Rippon,

Do you have anything on Jude?

I just finished Jude tonight in Bible class, after doing both 2Pet and Jude.

#2 TCGreek, Jan 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2008
  3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought you were going to say that I must have a lot of time on my hands . Now you want me to do Jude ! No , I don't have anything on Jude ( yet ) . Maybe that can be your project .:praying:

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Well, you do have a lot of time on your hand. :thumbs:

2. At any rate, I'm kind of old-fashion when it comes to version, but not too old-fashion.

3. I like to see how imperatives are supported by participles, which take their cue from the imperatives, as in Jude 20-21:

"Keep yourselves in the Love of God"--is imperatival and then three participial phrases (supporting Jude's fondness of triads):

"Building yourselves in your most holy faith" (v. 20)

"Praying in the Holy Spirit" (v. 20)

"Waiting anxiously for the mercy..." (v.21)

4. I see this in the Greek and then it's good when versions like the HCSB, ESV and NASB back up what I see. :thumbs:

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jude 20-21 ( NLTse ) : But you , dear friends , must build each other up in your most holy faith , pray in the power of the holy Spirit , and await the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ , who will bring you eternal life . In this way , you will keep yourselves safe in God's love .

( TNIV ) : But you , dear friends , by building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit , keep yourselves in God's love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you eternal life .

#5 Rippon, Jan 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2008
  6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could it be that 'anxiously' was an added word not having an equivalence in the Greek ?

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I didn't consider the NLTse, but it's true to the Greek. In fact, it's much clearer than the other versions. :thumbs:

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

"Waiting anxiously" is from prosdechomai, which is a compound verb pros + dechomai--versions which render the Greek "waiting anxiously, see the preposition pros as intensive.

HCSB: "Expecting"

TNIV: "Wait"

ESV: "Waiting"

NET: "Anticipating;" fn. "waiting for"

9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Rippon,

The three participles are instrumental and the NLTse has nailed the imperatives and its participles perfectly well. :thumbs: