1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Offensive ads...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by WestminsterMan, Mar 6, 2012.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Or it could be because of this thread now. Realize that the text of the ads are posed in this thread.....

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alas, guess we will have to get used to looking at scantily clothed women advertisements....oh the agony of it all! :laugh:

3. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

We were dealing with this trash last night on one of the other boards, I think it was the theology board.

Its a doggone shame that this stuff can get on a christian board like this.

I noticed today that all morning long the site was off-line. and I assumed the ones in charge were getting rid of it, but apparently not.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No, that was the server, I'd guess. Another board I am on also was offline and that is on the same server.

I do believe that we can report certain ads to Google and they won't run them again because we did that on another board I used to be on but not sure how that worked.

5. Alive in Christ

There ought to be a law against that.

6. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

I find ads on television far more offensive than the ones here (which I hardly ever notice)...a perfect example, the new Hardee's commercial where the girl is eating a burger at the drive-in movie. VERY offensive.

7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, the ads are generated by what's posted on this board. It's not any of us individually; it's all of us collectively.

A few days ago, someone started a thread about p o r n not being the problem, but rather pride; Google adsense, which appears to be an integral part of this free forum software, started displaying ads related to that key word.

There aren't that many internet businesses involved with most of the things discussed on this board; that's why you see ads for Christian colleges occasionally. When adsense comes across a word it's familiar with, we get flooded with related ads.

Options? One: delete the offending thread. Two: be careful what we post while a long term solution is developed. Three: yes, use ad blocker(s). Four: send multiple messages to the moderators and site owner asking--nay, imploring--them to do something long term about this problem. And if that means donating, well, tell me if you'll accept Paypal or if I need to send you a check.

8. Alive in Christ

Annsni...

Oh.

Well, there ya go. that shows you how much technical stuff I know about computers.

I know about...

1) the on button

2) the off button

#28 Alive in Christ, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2012
  9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

LOL - I know slightly more because my husband, in addition to being a pastor is a computer engineer. :) But I know that these two boards are hosted on the same server by the same company so I know that when they are both down, it's the server and not me.

10. mandym

mandym New Member

I can assure you that Andrew clears far more than that in a months time form this board.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is a much larger board and I know that Andrew uses a much more updated software than what we use on the other board (we can't afford to update the other board). So this site will be naturally more costly than the other board. Also, I'm not sure if this is a business for Andrew so if it is, maybe he uses the ads to bring in income for himself.

12. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I use Kaspersky Internet Security and the ads are automatically blocked.

Sometimes I have to turn off the 'banner blocker' setting to watch a video (once in a great while.) If I do this and come to BB I notice the ads. Most of them are about ministry, colleges &c.

I turned the banner blocker setting off a while ago (today) and I didn't get the flesh ads others are complaining of.

13. mandym

mandym New Member

The software he currently uses is real old. He has not updated it in about two years. This board is a source of income. I can say he does not intentionally allow bad ads to appear. There are no agencies that only rotate Christian friendly ads.

14. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have Firefox with Ad-Blocker. I don't see the ads. But if it takes "a few hundred dollars a year" it should be a cinch to collect that from members. Don't you think so?

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Nope. On the two sites I've been on, it's not. On one site, we're asking the women to pitch in and in the last two weeks that we've made the appeal, we've had 5 donations. Now, some are coming by snail mail so it will take a little longer but still. Of a board of about 300 women, only about 25 have ever donated. On the other board, what they did was to set up two levels - one level was the regular level where you could be on for free and you saw the ads and the other level was the one where you paid a certain amount and you didn't see the ads. I think it was $7 a month to not see the ads - a recurring charge on your Paypal. I'd say about 10% went for the charge. But when the board sold, it was said that the majority of the income from the site was from ads. The fees didn't cover the costs at all.

16. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That saddens me.

And a good portion of the other 90% probably had ad-blockers.

People get a lot of education, fellowship, and entertainment from BB. I would hope that the hard core regulars could scrape up $25 a year to get it ad-free. I'd do it in a heartbeat. Are there 25 others that could do it? Or does the owner of BB earn money from the ads and wouldn't want to go ad-free? As a business owner I can understand that.

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It does for some of them but MANY of them just don't have much money. Yes, I know they have computers but a good portion of them go on the computer at the library or else use their husband's computers at just select times. They are women living very frugally and thus are quite tight on the financial front. What we hope is that a good number of them will pitch in $10 each and then we can cover the cost easily. We tried going to be a paid site with the cost just $10 a year or $6 for 6 months but that didn't go over well. So we just do what we can and for those of us who have more money, we just pay more than our share. But it's worth it to keep it going. :)

18. Alive in Christ

Why am I not seeing musical instrument ads, sports ads and Jack Russell Terrior ads??

19. Alive in Christ

Andrew??

I have always thought that Bob..the Bob who lives in Wyoming and lost all that weight, was the Head Honcho of this site?

So who is this mysterious "Andrew"?

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Nope. Andrew is the owner of the site - and the server as well from what I understand. :)