1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Offensive Expressions

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Rippon, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am assaulted daily with "Oh my _ _ _!" I just tried to explain to some Korean teachers why it's so offensive."But I think you should tell Americans;not Koreans.Americans say that all the time in the movies."

Koreans use this expresion as a stock English saying.It sounds very cool to them.Strangers have used it in my presence to "impress me".

"I think maybe you are conservative Christian.You are too sensitive.You shouldn't let it bother you." Mind you that I wasn't boiling over or anything.It just gets rather overwhelming at times.

My expression,which I have used here several times is :"Oh my imputed goodness." But even native English speakers wouldn't understand that.Of course that should lead to a good and edifying conversation;right?

Any imput from BB'ers would be appreciated.

2. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sometimes I'll respond with, "Yes, I'm glad he's my God" or if they say "Good ---" I'll reply with, "You're right, He is VERY good" and smile.

3. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

One time when I heard someone say the name of Jesus Christ in a derogatory manner, I said, "Oh, do you know Him too?" It got very quiet. That phrase "Oh my ---!" is used to excess on TV. So is the SOB phrase. I'm hearing the Gd phrase more and more on TV, and I turn off whatever I'm watching when I hear it.

#3 Jon-Marc, Sep 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2008
  4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

It doesn't bother me very much. Once people have more respect for God, they will use His title more appropriately.

I also don't consider it a bad thing if it's in response to an injury or seeing something wrong happen. In that case, it's more like a cry or plea to God, and I see nothing wrong with that. "Oh my God, please don't let anyone be hurt" is not a wrong thought when seeing something happen.

To use it lightly or hear it used lightly while explaining something is bothersome, but why get annoyed? There's so much worse they can be doing. It's much easier to open up a conversation about God if they use his name than if they're in the middle of having an affair or in the process of stealing something. It's also usually not done with the idea that it is wrong, unlike many sins.

On a scale of 1-10 when it comes to the wrong things happening in this world, this ranks below a one on my scale.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course it's not the worst thing in the world.But the point is that they are using the Lord's name in vain.It's much more serious to God than to you.

And of course people people say this expression as naturally as breathing.But that doesn't mitigate the offense.God's perspective is different than our own.His ways and thoughts are infinitely higher than our own.

The use of "God" in the expression is blasphemous.They are not giving him glory.They are dragging His Name in the mud.They are treating it as a common thing.

When professing Christians utter things such as :"Oh Lord","Oh my Lord" ,"Precious Jesus" and so on it is dishonoring.

Whenever God's Name is being said it is dishonoring (to say the least) if the one uttering such a thing is not extolling the Name.