1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Officating a funeral

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

How can something be liberal or conservative if it does not violate scripture?

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

We would say it violates Scripture on the principle of separation.

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, (2 Corinthians 6:14-17)

Can two walk together, except they be agreed? (Amos 3:3)

Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. (Romans 16:17)

Though the building itself is just that--a building, it is a building that has been dedicated for the work of the Lord. It is to be used for God's work. To allow it to be used for the propagation of doctrinal error, heresy, a cult, or whatever else you want to add on to that list is wrong. Though the body in the NT is the temple of God, the building that we meet in is still where believers fellowship and is a place that has been dedicated to the Lord. We tend to try and keep it that way.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A building is a building, not a church. We actually rent the meeting room at a local hotel for our church to meet in. God knows WHAT goes on in that hotel when we are not there!!

The pulpit on which I stand is not MY podium. The lecturn on which I rest my bible is not MY lecturn. These are man-made "things" and I just don't get selfish about them.

I have held weddings/funerals in various locations. Many funerals because of space are in large facilities, often meeting places of other churches with which I have totally opposite beliefs. Does that stop me from doing the service?

I am not embracing or even endorsing another belief by using a facility owned by a different denomination. Now, I would not cooperate (joint service) with error - THAT could be confusing. But use of a building is not an issue for me.

Just smiled as I looked at my record for past couple of years as to where I've done weddings/funerals.
    St Anthony's Catholic
    St Mark's Episcopal
    Evangelical Free
    29 homes/back yards
    Crimson Dawn (new age center)
    Temple Beth-El synagogue
    Isaak Walton League
    18 hotels, lawyers offices, private offices
    11 parks
    Women's Clubhouse
    Faith Assembly of God
    Galleria
    Circuit Court Chambers
    Itasca (headwater of Mississippi) sprinkling ashes

Even did one on a submarine 7-8 years ago, off Grand Cayman.

Ah, memories

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr Bob
    The question is not where you would do a funeral/wedding elsewhere but rather would you allow a non-biblical group to use your church facilites for such an acitivity.
    I realize that your church currently does not have its own building, but...

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I would say that using those verses like that is a real stretch. However if that is what you want to do then I would assume in your holy plight that you do not shop at any store except one owned by a Christian. You do not work or have any monetary gains from any employer who is not a Christian. You do not allow anyone in your church and especially be a guest at any meal who is not a Christian. I think tradition and blindness are a great blight on the church and when it is backed up by twisting the intent of scripture it become blasphemy.
    There is no command to allow or not allow others to use the church buildings. It is not about protecting God's name or righteousness. If a church so choose to allow others in fine if not that too is fine. There is no scriptural violation. I just hope if you believe that those scriptures mean how you are using them that you also deny yourself and the church the things I pointed out.
    I found this statement interesting;
    "Though the building itself is just that--a building, it is a building that has been dedicated for the work of the Lord. It is to be used for God's work." :tongue3:
    Sort of like Corban in Mark 7:11 (KJV). One would do better to dedicate their life. :thumbs:

#25 freeatlast, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2010
  6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I don't own other people's stores. We, the members of our church, as a corporate body, own our church building. We have decided it to set it apart from the world as unto the Lord. We have decided to make a difference between the holy and the profane.

Even as a Catholic I grew up with a realization that churches were a place of worship. I didn't need the theology of the difference between temple, tabernacle, sanctuary, auditorium, etc. As a child I knew what that kind of building was supposed to be used for. I still do. I venture that every religion does. When those of other cultures and other religions see Baptists not heeding any respect for their buildings, what do they think?

He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: (Luke 16:10)
    --Perhaps the way that you treat the building where you gather to hear from God reflects the way that you hear from God. It is attitude.

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

"Even as a Catholic I grew up with a realization that churches were a place of worship."
    I too have attended Catholic. Here in is part of your problem. You are still caught up in some of what the Catholic's teach. Christians do not go anyplace to worship we worship in spirit and truth. (John 4:19-24) It can take place in certain places, but it is not the place that makes it worship.
    You dedicate the building and yet claim ownership to it? Strange! None the less the church that you attend has made a choice on this issue. It neither makes that church any greater or less then another. God is not impressed one way or another. To one, one day is holy to another none at all. It has nothing to do with any NT biblical principle. God accepts what you are doing as much as He accepts those who open their doors to other religions. Neither can make claim to doing God's will, nor be accused of denying it.

8. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

What I would call strange is your position. You dedicate a building to the Lord, you are supposed to be a good steward of that building, yet you would allow those that worship a false god to preach in that building? That's strange!

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

The reason you see it strange is because you are caught up in the error that a buildings can be dedicated to God. We alone are to be dedicated not some building. In fact dedication is usually double talk out of piety. The building is nothing and so called dedication does not change that. The people who allows the building where they come together for corporate worship to be used by outsiders are no less dedicated then the one who dedicates a building. Until our lives are so surrendered and dedicated to God we can forget about Him accepting a building dedication.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Show me one example of where God ordained the use of the temple for the use of anything other than worship of Him. If you can show me that, then I will be comfortable allowing another faith to use our church.

11. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

WOW Bob you do a funeral or wedding every couple of weeks, that can be time consuming by the time you do all the premarriage counseling and all

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Bob - Now what if the Mormons came to ask to rent your church? Would you allow it? What if someone then came to your church and asked "Well, I thought this was a Mormon church because you just had Mormon wedding here!"

While our building IS just a building, it is also our identity in the community. I see the local Presbyterian church having psychics and know that that church is dead. I see the Methodist church hosting the Unitarian Church's fund raising dinner and know that church is dead as well. Association is very important and if our Baptist church starts showing an association with that which is not of Christ, then we will lose our testimony, IMO.

13. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Excellent point, Ann. Now some questions, not to be argumentative but just curious.

Would your church allow its facility to be used for a school commencement?

For an ecumenical prayer service?

For the wedding of a nonmember, if your pastor presided?

For a baptism of persons who are not joining your church?

As a temporary shelter in case of a local disaster?

As a meeting place for the local Rotary Club, Kiwanis Club, etc.?

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Just our own or the local Christian school's (although they have their own church to use but maybe if it had a fire or something....)

Not for an "ecumenical" one. But for a prayer service of other like-minded churches? Absolutely and we've done it before.

For a couple to be married in our church, they either need to be regular attenders or members (or parents be members). We will even allow another pastor to perform the wedding as long as they are again like-minded to us. Additionally, the couple must have received premarital counseling either from us or the pastor marrying them.

Once again, I will use the "like-minded" term. If there is another church that does not have a baptismal and would like to use ours, they are welcome to it if they are of like minded beliefs.

I'm not sure, to tell you the truth. We've never had to do it and I'm sure it would not be an automatic "open the door" sort of thing but I think in a large emergency, we would most likely do it. But I can't say for sure because we've never faced this issue or discussed it before.

No. The ONLY group that meets at our church regularly without being a ministry of the church is our homeschool group. However, the group is run by members of our church and all participants sign an agreement that includes agreeing to the statement of beliefs that was put together by the church. You don't have to be a Christian to attend but you need to understand that is our beliefs and if you don't agree, you will not be in the leadership of the group.

15. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Short answer, no. The funeral home will allow pretty much anyone preach one there. It ain't happening at my church. Even if I wasn't there to refuse the request, my deacons would.

16. Crucified in Christ

Crucified in Christ New Member

You are correct Ann. In fact, when ever the prophets were sent to warn the people in relation to the Temple, it was that they were not worshiping Him in it. It became a place of running through the motions instead of a place of a contrite spirit. It was a den of thieves because men carried on as they desired in the world and showed up to fulfill the rituals. As Jesus said, quoting Isaiah, the people were honoring God with their lips, but their hearts were far from Him.

Now, like Bob's congregation, the early church met wherever it could find space. They met in stores, homes, theaters, etc. and they were thankful for any place they could find to meet. This clearly shows that we are able to worship in Spirit and Truth...we do not have to go to the Temple mount.

Yet regardless of where the church met, we see absolutely no evidence of a willingness to let professors of a false faith have ready access to the pulpit. Just the opposite, the message of the New Testament is to test their theology and to count those who vary from the faith as accursed.

To argue that because we are blessed with buildings in which to meet that we should lower the high standard set down in the Apostolic era, quite frankly, boggles the mind and strains credibility.

17. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not If They Were The Last . . .

. . . available clergypersons on earth! And if I'm correct, they may be just that, "the last" following the Rapture of the church!

Keeping the negative, apostate spirits of those churches out of your church is essential and imparative, no argument from me!

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :type:

#37 righteousdude2, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2010
  18. jeben

jeben Member

What about singspiration ? in our small town all churchs take turns hosting the singspiration

19. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To equate the Jewish Temple to a meeting place for a local church is more than a little "stretch".

IF churches were following the biblical precedent, we'd be meeting in any place we could. Not owning (can you imagine the incongruity of the church today with Jesus/disciples? We amass buildings, bank accounts, programs and rules for them - the early church had NONE of this) anything and giving away our money to real needs.

Oh, wait. That IS what our church does to the letter. :saint:

20. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salty, I say this in all sincerity: I will personally burn our church to the ground before I will allow a Catholic priest into the pulpit.

And speaking of burning our church to the ground, I'm supposed to be there right now. So, goodbye.

#40 JohnDeereFan, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.