1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Officer kills 17 year old:'How in the world could this happen?' Guilford family speaks out

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Zaac, Oct 22, 2015.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it would have been a much different turnout. This cop:

1.Went into the situation with a bad attitude.
    2.Assumed the kid had called his buddies in the militia group.
    3.Yanked him out of the vehicle and threw him on the ground.
    4.Botched the taser gun by firing it too close to the kid's body
    5.Allowed the kid to get up off the pavement and start attacking him.
    6. Actually got beat up by a 17 year old juvenile.
    7. Had his gun jam.

Had backup arrived incidents 3 through 7 would never have occurred, the kid would be alive and the cop wouldn't have a black eye.

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you know this how?

Oh that's right. You don't.

I bet you're a great back seat diver, after your turn has been missed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're right, I don't know this for sure, but it's unlikely the situation would have escalated to the point where the kid would have attempted to overpower two cops. And even if he had tried I assume one of the two taser guns would have been effective, and even if both tasers failed, I find it doubtful that a kid coming off a pot buzz could fight and defeat two cops.

Please describe a viable scenario where a stoned teenager can beat up two cops.

4. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

But you're forgetting the "gold rule" for good citizenship ITL.

Good citizens should always side with the police and dehumanize our fellow citizens unless it is 100% obvious from the beginning the police were in the wrong.

Which as every good citizen knows happens very rarely if ever.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's the problem. You "assume" a lot and know very little.

• Like Like x 1
  6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So at point number 3, the kid was asked to get out of the car and he refused. Do you think another police officer at the scene would have made him get out of the car? I doubt it.

7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ann - The second officer wouldn't have pulled the kid out of the car; he would have assisted the first one after he pulled the kid free of the car. Two cops on top of the kid would have more easily restrained the young man. The second officer might also have provided a balancing point that prevented the first one from shooting the kid.

Or he might have joined in and helped beat the kid, and even joined in in shooting him. We'll never know.

8. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ^ That's reasonable and even prudent. Also, the kid didn't attack until the botched taser shot which at that point sent the situation from irritating to out of control.

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bottom line. The young man decided to play roadside lawyer and refused to provide his driver's license.
    Since so many want to play this senseless what if game...If he had been cooperative, he would never have been asked to get out of the car. If he had been cooperative, no back up would have been needed.
    If when ordered out of the car, he had come willingly, he would not have been tased . No backup would have been called. If he had not resisted arrest and if he had not assaulted the cop, he would not have been shot.
    If the young man had acted reasonably, he would be alive today and a police officer would not have to listen armchair quarterbacks, back seat drivers, and 2nd guessing amateurs tell him what WOULD have happened IF he had done things differently. Things I'm sure he has already thought of himself.
    Who caused all this? He's dead.

All the proper warnings were given. The cop has been judged by professional, and found to have acted reasonably under the circumstances. Good shooting. 2nd guessing amateurs don't get a vote. Thank God.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Pure foolishness. This is taking place entirely too often to just write it off as a stop gone bad. There is something wrong at the source of police officer training across this nation.

Or how about somebody train officers to not escalate situations just because they feel disrespected and justified to write tickets or arrest someone? Too many times it seems their feelings are getting hurt and they then escalate a situation and somebody ends up dead over a stupid traffic stop.

11. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He didn't have his driver's license with him. He called his girlfriend and asked her to bring it. Cop thought he was calling his militia buddies.

As it turns out his girlfriend showed up with Deven's license before police back up arrived. Had the cop waited for backup the girlfriend would have handed over the drivers license, the cop would have never yanked Deven out of the car, and he would still be alive today.

He couldn't cooperate with the cops demand to show his license because he didn't have it with him.

We get it--do as I say and you won't be shot dead.

Now he can listen to a jury.

Judged by his employer to have acted reasonably.

Juries do.

Really? Thank God this boy is dead?!

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo using Tapatalk.

12. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

#112 poncho, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015