1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Oh and Christian, Be Sure and Vote for Mitt

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by saturneptune, Jan 9, 2012.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Exactly. The GOP get a free ride just because they are not democrats. As Gov Wallace said all those years ago there is not a dime's worth of difference between them.

The only way to force a change is to stop voting 'the lesser of two evils' because you still have to vote for evil.

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Would you please explain how Romney would be different than Obama given his record in Mass?

3. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

What you fail to understand is that the U.S. as a whole is not nearly as conservative as you are. The people are much more moderate than you, who seemingly want to elect a pastor as president.

I generally vote for the democrat, but if we have to have a republican in the White House, I would much rather it be someone like Romney rather than someone like Reagan. I still shudder when remembering the awful days of the Reagan regime.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You shudder, it seems you survived the traumatic experience. The one statement you said is true, you generally vote democrat. You also believe there is a difference between the two parties. So what trauma did you experience did you suffer during the Reagan years What evidence do you have the country is more moderate than me? Why dont you compare the 80 and 84 election results to a recent election. One thing you said that tells me I am correct about Romney is telling me I am more conservative than most, while, today alone, there are at least a dozen who have told me I am an Obama supporter. It tells me you are all of the same fold that buys into the Democrat Republican split without giving it any thought. It tells me you have no idea what it means to govern this nation by the Constitution. It also tells me you do not give a second thought to the moral standing of our leaders.

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read my follow-on post, bottom of page 2.

6. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not a Romney supporter, but I would presume the difference would be that Romney would have a GOP majority in the House and hopefully a GOP majority in the Senate. The difference is that in Massachusetts Romney had a legislature that was at least 70% Democratic, a veto-proof majority. They could pass almost any law they wanted. Thus, you get universal health care, gay marriages, abortion rights, etc. (Currently the percentage is 79% Democratic.) So Romney's record in Mass. is basically the result of having no power to veto anything.

7. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

If the choices in the general election are between Romney and Obama, I will not vote for the latter. I will neither vote for an independent nor a third-party candidate, because in this age of American politics, to do so would be throwing my vote away.

If Romney is the nominee, I'll hold my nose and vote for him.

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I haven't voted for a major party candidate since 1984.

I refuse to vote for anyone I cannot support.

9. mandym

mandym New Member

Or it could be said that if the party places Romney as the candidate the GOP is helping Obama. Let's keep the blame where it lies at its origin. People should vote their conscience and doing so does not place blame when the bad candidate gets elected.

10. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

Totally in agreement. This Republican refuses to vote for Romney in the primary or the general. If he becomes the party nominee I will be changing my registration to an independent party. Enough is enough.

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Romney's religious preference is not an issue for me. The fact that he is just another Bush/Clinton/Bush/Obama clone is the issue.

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I try and look at the total man. If Romney was like Reagan, which he is not in any fashion, it might be a case where one could hold their nose and vote for someone who denies the Divinity of Christ. But this is not the case. If the Mormons have one claim to fame, it is an exterior moral code of clean living. Romney does not even follow his own faith. The focal point is Romney's total character. The fact is there is no Holy Spirit leading the man to run the most powerful country on earth.

The above post that gave Romney a pass for his record in Mass. compared to what he flaps his jaws about now is lame. Reagan had a Democrat Congress and passed lots of reforms. Its all about character and leadership, and Romney has neither. Blaming the party in charge of the legislature as a cover for Romneys character is pathetic. Romney does not care about the abortion issue one way or the other, he cares about using the issue to get elected. In essence, he is pandering for votes with the blood of innocent infants. He does not care one way or the other about gay rights, he uses it to win votes. He does not care if you marry a man, woman, or hat rack. If he was speaking to a gathering of people that wanted the legal right to marry their pet cat, he would be in favor of marrying pet cats. He does not care about gun control or the right to bear arms. He cares about using the issue to get votes.

If I can fault Reagan for one thing, it is his choice of Vice President. Had he not picked Bush, that would have spared this nation twelve years of the Bushes as President. I do agree with the basic premise of your post though. Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama, and Romney are from the same cloth of self-serving politicians, weak, leaderless, wishy washy, self indulgent slobs.

13. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nooo....! You mean Romney is a politician?

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

As in the last election I am bothered by the idea that God's children should vote hypocritically and against their conviction and conscience as a political ploy.

I contend that we should do right and trust God with the outcome.

15. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Of course Mitt does not have the Holy Spirit guiding him, but in my lifetime I do not think we have had a Christian President, or atleast not since I can remember.

What bewilders me is that Reagan is as much of an icon as he is. Prior to gaining the elected office, Reagan ran as a conservative but once in office he was much more moderate, allowing for taxes to be raised 6 times and government expanded. Today, most of the candidates are claiming to reduce government by making it bigger and reduce taxes but closing loop holes so there will be no net tax benefit for the country.

I have listened to a myriad of speeches by Reagan before he was elected, and I would have endorsed him. However, after elected he was more moderate... though he would be considered more conservative at the time.

You are right when you say Mitt is not Reagan, but that also may depend on which Reagan, the one who won the 1980 election or the one who was President.

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Time changes the parties. If John Kennedy could have come back and run against John McCain in 2008, or Romney this year, he would have been the more conservative and run to the right.

17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I have no idea if the Presidents in my lifetime were Christians or not. Jimmy Carter made a point out of letting others know he was. However, this election is the first time where a known non-Christian is asking us to elect him President, and to me, that crosses the line of acceptability.

18. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

I disagree, especially with Romney. As noted in another post, Romney believes in cutting taxes and that the economy needs to jettison toxic assets. To me, this is more conservative than any in the field except Ron Paul. Kennedy was for an FDR approach to toxic assets, keeping them around for the sake of jobs. People who call upon Kennedy as conservative usually play the tax decrease mantra; however, Kennedy's economic policies were more liberal than Romney and more Keynesian. Not to say that Romney is not a Keynesian, because he is, but he is more conservative than Kennedy.

19. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Thomas Jefferson was a known non-Christian, many Christian groups did run against him in one of the ugliest campaigns in history.

As for Carter, he is a liberal and having read his theology, he is opposed to historic Christian beliefs that has traditionally been accepted as being heretical. He goes to church and talks about his liberal moralistic religious views, but I would not classify him as a Christian in the traditional sense.

20. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

Hallelujah!