1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Oh Pagan Tree

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by antiaging, Dec 11, 2008.

1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I happen to be one who used to cite Alexander Hislop, fairly frequently.

However, I did some research to find that it appeared to me that, too often, there was a lot of speculation and conjecture mixed in among the facts, and "the whole ball of wax" was being summarily arrived at in a questionable manner.

FTR, I nearly left my own home church, based on something he had written in Two Babylons that I fortunately, just in time, found out was baseless.

'Nuff said, that now I am extremely leery of citing Alexander Hislop, without further research. I would simply suggest anyone would do well to do a bit more research into things he has stated, before using him as an authority, as well.

Here is another I used to cite, Brother Ralph Woodrow, who had based a lot of his stuff on Hislop. You (and others) might be interested in reading what he has now said, since he is still around to defend himself.

http://www.ralphwoodrow.org/books/pages/babylon-connection.html

http://www.ralphwoodrow.org/books/pages/babylon-mystery.html

Ed

#61 EdSutton, Dec 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2008
  2. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Now you've done it. You have messed with old St Nick! :BangHead: He is real and I know it. The kids had set milk and cookies out for him every year for 12 years of their lives. And they get eaten.

Waite! I remember now, that was me at 4am still sleep walking trying to put bicycles together. I am the one that ate the cookies and drank the milk. Please don't tell the kids (now 20 and 25). They would be so devastated. :laugh:

Again, I am into this "pagan" game just as you are. I have spoken up for antiaging's convictions and the mockery that was directed at him. I must say though, his poem fueled the fire. Yet it does not offend me because I know that I am not "pagan". However the mockery of someone's convictions does.

Celebrating Christ's birth was never a mandated observance of the Church. We were told by Christ to remember His death not His birth. This Holiday has come by the traditions of men not by the oracles of God. This is the crux of his conviction.

The fact that we celebrate His birth on the 25th of this month by traditions rather than by scripture is not a bad thing in and of itself. I honestly believe this tradition has a connotation of victory about it.

Victory in that faith in Christ has overcome the paganism of our Gentile fathers. The traditions of trees, logs, stockings and St Nick are symbols of the ancient past that now bow to the God of Heaven that cared enough to send His Son to a world that knew Him not. John 3:16 rules, not the writings of some ancient Babylonian text.

And Tim,
    I do remember Pope TV. That was a funny thread. I am still laughing at that one. Or better yet was the thread on living forever by taking vitamins. :laugh: These things are laughable but please, exhort with grace when a brother seems convicted over a biblical conundrum in conflict with traditions of men.

As DHK already posted,

#62 Palatka51, Dec 12, 2008
  3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Tim - I wonder if it got purged at some point. I totally remember that thread. It was crazy. Antiaging spoke of how when he watches TV, those on the screen respond to him and thus they must be able to see him in his living room. He told everyone to not just turn off the TV but unplug it, IIRC, because they could still see you when the TV is off. It was definitely there, brother.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

This verse is talking about making flase gods to worship them, a purposeful act of worship, and act inteded to be worship, just as when you go to church(or anywhere for that matter, but I said church because it's a place you actually have to go to out of you way) you intend and purposely worship God.
    Same for the Jeremiah 10 verses.

Do you think it's good to use personal convictions against others as a measure of their spirituality and obedience to God? I don't think this is comely in the eyes of God either.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

KJV: For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.

NASB: For the customs of the peoples are (A)delusion;
    Because (B)it is wood cut from the forest,
    The work of the hands of a craftsman with a cutting tool.

ESV: for the customs of the peoples are vanity.[a](B) A tree from the forest is cut down
    and worked with an axe by the hands of a craftsman.

It does not take a craftsman to cut down a tree. The word in the KJV that is translated "workman" doesn't give it the sense of the expertness of the worker, but the Hebrew word is "charash" which means a skilled person. The tree cut down from the forest would not be a "work" because what is cutting a tree? It's just something that the children could have done. Yet we see that the tree was the work of a skilled worker, cut with an axe. That certainly is more than just cutting an evergreen from the forest.

Read Isaiah 44:9-28 to read more about the same subject.

6. Spinach

Spinach New Member

What if you don't cut it? What if you buy one with the roots still attached, pot it, and plant it in the Spring?

I did that last year, but sadly, the tree didn't make it. Let's just say I don't have a green thumb.

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

Who are you accusing of idol worship? I guess that includes you since you have a christmas tree.
    For some money is an idol, for some food is an idol, should we all throw these out also just becasue some have made them an idol?
    Don't you think it depends on the intent of the heart?

Pretty sure this was violated in the op, condemeing and judging others because they have a christmas tree.
    if it weren't we'd all be going to hell, and Christ died in vain, because as you said, God redeemed us from paganism.
    Yet some on this thread would deny the freedoms we have in Christ.

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

Supose it isn't cut at all, it's artificial, shows this verse doesn't apply, even if you were to twist it more then it's already been done.

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

I didn't see anyone(like the op) try and answer this post so I am posting it again. Since this is part of the op's argument he needs to back this up.

10. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Our calander is Roman in origin. December is actually a Roman designation indicating the 10th month. December comes from Decem or 10. So Roman numbers read like this
    Unus
    duo
    Tres
    Quatuor
    Quinquae
    Sex
    Septem
    Octo
    Novem
    Decem

The month of July is named in honor of Julius Caesar.

11. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

December is not the issue. The issue is whether it is appropriate to have a tree. I have shown that it does not matter. I can tell that you are responding to my posts wrong. It is not, nor has it ever been my intent, to accuse anyone of idolatry. I have posted why antiaging has his conviction in relation to scripture and that it would not be appropriate to mock that. :BangHead: Mocking Pope TV and a live forever vitamin regimen is just plain hilarious. :laugh:

If in any case anyone has taken my posts as judgmental opinions on the idolatry of fellow brothers and sisters in Christ then I humbly seek your forgiveness. However, For speaking against mockery of one that has a biblical basis for conviction I do not repent.

Mel

12. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

...except that it doesn't have any Biblical basis - as has been demonstrated.

13. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

So it is Biblical then to mock your brother. It is ever increasingly evident that this generation has nothing in common with Philadelphia.

14. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Tempers please.

So who's on what side? All I know is that if there are personal convictions about not making an idol to a Christmas tree that is a legitamate consern. However, to be consistent you then should be convicted about Celebrating the birth of the Lord on Winter's solstice (and his date of birth has been determined not to actually be on December 25th). Or Using the Roman Calander which venerates several Gods including the roman emperor. In fact if you look at all the pagan influences in our society you may be distraught.

15. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Okay, I am getting a headache. I am protesting the mockery, period. I am not protesting the use of a tree, calendar or anything that has a pagan root in tradition. It is the mockery that I have an issue with.

Thank you. And that should not be mocked but be thought through with an attempt to teach.

16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

And the month of August (originally S*xtilis) is also named in honor of Octavian (Augustus Caesar) just as was July (which month was originally Qunitilis, I believe?) named in honor of Julius Caesar. It seems, if I correctly remember my history, that the Roman Senate, which decreed the name changes, in honor of the two Emperors, did not want these two months to be shorter than the longest month, so 'borrowed' a day from February, a 'cold' and bad weather month. The months 'seven' (September) through 'ten' (December) actually became the months of nine through twelve, but without receiving any name change, as for some reason, the 'counting' had originally began with the first month of Spring, namely 'March' presumably after the Roman god of war, Mars. Later, the year was decreed to start (by Julius Caesar, with his modification and the adoption of the 'Julian' calender), from January, hence, the discrepancy, of the last four months of the year, relative to number.

Asd I said, this is if I remember correctly, although anyone may feel free to correct my memory, which is now nothing like as good as it was 45 years ago, I will freely admit.

Incidentally, all this has little to do with any supposed "pagan tree" that I can see. ;)

Ed

#76 EdSutton, Dec 12, 2008
  17. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Links automatically get associated with a word? Sorry, I didn't know that. It doesn't show up on my computer that way. I was just using latin.

18. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

New Year's Day being 1st January is an even more recent innovation, being that of the Gregorian Calendar, which replaced the Julian in Britain in 1752 (and as late as 1918 in Russia). New Years Day under the Julian Calendar was March 25th; hence, for example, March 24th 1700 was followed by March 25th 1701. It also explains why in some history books you will see someone referred to as having been born or died in '1652/3' ; rather than meaning that historians aren't sure in which year the individual died, it simply means that s/he died between January 1st and March 24th in the year in question. For example, King William III died on March 8th 1702, according to the Gregorian reckoning*, but in older history books you can come across 'March 8th 1701/2' or even 'March 8th 1701'.

*Only according to the reckoning of years; according to the reckoning of days, it would have been March 20th under the Gregorian Calendar, since it was at that point some 12 days ahead of the Julian. That's also why in Russia the 'February Revolution' and 'October Revolution' of 1917 actually occurred in March and November respectively under the Gregorian reckoning. Now, please may I go and get a life?!

19. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I love academia. I consider this information cool. But then I'm a nerd.

20. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:
    You call these, 'jokes'?
    No wonder my brother says we Ebersoehns have no sense of humour. maybe also because of the German blood - they are very serious about Christmas.

I think we must just keep this away from the Scriptures. They are a bad mix, bitter like gall and venomous like a rattle snake; I mean, the potion.