1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ohio Republicans want voters to pay to get special ID cards

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Zaac, May 14, 2015.

1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Don't know about Ohio but some states will give the Voter ID iffen them folks can't pay.

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok. Keep howling at the moon. A sore throat is all you'll get out of it.

More and more states that care about the sanctity of voting will be passing voter ID laws. It's settled law. Voter ID laws, when properly written, are constitutional and legal.

Get over it.

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

:laugh: Idiot.

4. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Foolishness. The gov't does not pay the light bill of my church to facilitate my RIGHT to worship... it should not pay even this ridiculously minuscule amount for an ID to facilitate someone else's right to vote.

Having a "right" to do something does NOT mean that it should be free much less that it should be paid for by someone else.

Things that cost roughly $8.50: a pack and a half of cigarettes, 4 to 8 lottery scratch cards, 100 miles in the avg US car, two minutes with a tattoo artist, a piercing... maybe... not including the ring or stud, 4 bags of potato chips, 5 Monsters at the quick stop, a 6 pack (depending on brand), a pound of steak,....

Frankly, I don't think asking ANY of the people in question to give something like the above up ONCE to facilitate their right to vote for their WHOLE LIFE... is at all burdensome. In fact considering how much of my tax money already goes to them... I don't think it is a burden AT ALL.

5. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prove it.

Prove it... and not some ridiculous and strained anecdote featuring "they" and "them".

By "free"... you mean paid for by someone of YOUR choosing rather than by the person who gets the benefit and SHOULD pay for themselves, right?

You do know that at the core of what you propose... you are attempting to steal from someone. If you and people like you are concerned that people can't afford ID's then pool your OWN MONEY and buy them. It would cost far less than what Dems spend each election on vote buying.

6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Does someone stand at the front of the church and tell you that you can't worship because the light bill hasn't been paid?

Nobody asked the government to facilitate anything. I'm asking for less government as I don;t think they need to be involved in charging people for IDs.

Have all you less government types become more government when it suits your needs?

Who asked somebody else to pay for it.? Is there a Constitutional Amendment that says we must charge people to vote?

So again, why does the GOP continue to do those things that disenfranchise voters just as white folks did during Jim Crow?
    Irrelevant

You don't have to think that.

But you should ask yourself why you and so many others in the GOP who call yourselves followers of Christ are okay with sanctioning things that bring about the same type voter disenfranchisement that was present during Jim Crow?

7. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

If it didn't affect those things, the GOP wouldn't always be trying so hard to disenfranchise a certain segment of the population when it comes to voting. Anybody with grade school reading abilities can look back during slavery and Jim Crow and look at the conditions of Black communities that didn't get a vote

Again, in case you missed it in one of the other threads. It will never be proven to the satisfaction of people who are only concerned with themselves and maintaining their privilege.

Blacks have figured this out. And have also figured out that the same type "white Christian" who sat by and let injustice reign during slavery and Jim Crow are the same types behind legislating the injustice again.

By free I mean free.:thumbs:

Here we go with the FOX News parrot points.

According to George Bush, the average black man gets cheated out of his social security benefits because he doesn't live as long as some others. The benefits, instead, go to white women who are living longer.

Are they stealing too?

We're already pooling it right along with yours. :smilewinkgrin:

8. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK. IF you don't like that analogy then they are literally endless and directly applicable. Your "logic" that an $8 ID is going to prevent people who want to vote from voting is absolutely ridiculous in the extreme and you surely KNOW IT.

As for church, insurance is required, building codes apply, some taxes are still levied in places, and if "your side" had its way churches would face far more regulation and gov't control. The simply TRUTH is that the gov't DOES require things that cost money to operate a church.

Yes. You have. I know you would love to engage in sophistry here to deflect. But there is NOTHING wrong with asking for an ID to secure the RIGHTS of legitimate voters.

No. Gov't HAS A ROLE in protecting rights and especially the rights of the innocent. EVERY fraudulent vote negates a legitimate vote. NOT ONE should be tolerated EVER.

No one is being charge to vote. That is blatant dishonesty on your part to regurgitate that "MSNBC" puking point. They are being asked to positively prove eligibility to vote. Again, not unreasonable AT ALL.

They aren't. That's a bald faced lie. Asking someone to prove they are a legitimate voter and not engaged in voter fraud by producing an ID DOES NOT disenfranchise ANYONE. Almost everyone has an ID to start with.

I guess you misspelled that? You meant to write "inconvenient" didn't you? It is VERY relevant if you are claiming that it is somehow "burdensome" or "disenfranchising" to require someone to produce an $8 ID to vote. You want people to believe that the people in question are so poor that spending $8 ONCE every 8 years or so would make them choose between their medicine and voting. Of course you can't produce those people. You are either a gullible follower of those benefiting from a system where fraud has AND DOES turn elections or you know that it happens and want it to happen.

You have to ask yourself why you keep repeating this lie. Because it IS A LIE. No one is being "disenfranchised" by being asked to produce an ID to vote. NO ONE. If there is someone out there who truly cannot afford it then perhaps that would be a better endeavor for the Clinton Foundation that representing foreign interests in the backrooms of gov't?

There is NO relation between this and Jim Crow laws unless you are somehow trying to pretend that blacks in particular are being denied ID's or lack the good sense to figure out how to get $8 and buy one.

9. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So iow's if Republicans are NOT the evil people you think they are whose goal is to assure that black people do not get to vote then you have no argument, right? YOU HAVE NO ARGUMENT. At least not a rational one. You have one that can manipulate the emotions and passions of the gullible. But it is false. I can only hope that you do not KNOW that it is false and continue to sell it.

There is NO rational comparison between Jim Crow laws and voter ID laws. NONE. ID laws are NOT targeting any particular race. They are in fact color blind. If YOU weren't afraid that the fraud going on in certain communities would not come to an end and hurt Dems... then you wouldn't oppose ID's. How's that for an incendiary charge built on assumptions? (Like the ones you depend on- intended to make a point since I hope that you do not support voter fraud even though your party is the primary beneficiary)

The major difference between voter fraud and voter disenfranchisement is that we KNOW fraud occurs. We KNOW that it has turned elections (Al Franken is a senator due to it). We know that not only is there direct proof of it but that the risk due to uncontrolled polls is many times greater than what we know.

Your side cannot come up with anyone who will be disenfranchised by having to present an ID. Everyone you can cite has both the resources and ability to get an ID IF they have the resources and ability to cast a ballot.

So... why do you support voter fraud? That's what it really comes down to, right? You think it is perfectly fine to have illegitimate elections as long as your side benefits. If the beneficiaries were swapped, you'd be for ID's.

That is NOTHING but evasion... and you are smart enough to know it. As far as "privilege" is concerned. That's another left wing lie. I was real "privileged" growing up in one of the poorest counties in southern Appalachia. I really enjoyed that silver spoon my parents fed me with... who both grew up in poor farming families and each being the youngest of 8 were both the first and only high school grads in their families. Someone must have lied to me because I could have sworn those were 3 day pots of pinto beans and not caviar.

My "privilege" is this. I take my right to vote seriously. I vote honestly, once and expect EVERYONE ELSE who votes to do the same. I REJECT TOTALLY the violation of MY RIGHT by people like you who legitimize even ONE fraudulent vote.

So you speak for all blacks? All blacks think voter fraud is OK? All blacks have the kind of hatred that seethes just underneath the surface of your posts?

If they have "figured it out" and agree with you then all they have done is swallow a Goebbel's size lie from a political party and class that has been abusing them for the last 60 years.

There is no "free" and you know that. Someone pays. If you want someone else to pay then solicit your friends and YOU PAY.

Rich coming from someone who has spewed every irrational, false argument the left can imagine in their effort to make sure no fraudulent voter is "disenfranchised".

Now that's interesting. Not sure which is more disappointing- that you agree with Bush on that ridiculous point or that you are so racist as to believe that those who live longer are responsible for blacks who might not.

Did someone change the law without me noticing to add a racial qualification to social security? Did I somehow force someone to eat wrong or not take care of their health? Did I make bad choices for people who left them (having started from a point of wealth at least as high as mine) financially unable to care for themselves?

Interesting point though... if you had to guess, who do you think contributes more per person to SSI, whites or blacks?

By illegitimate force. Interesting that you think that's cute when it is abjectly immoral.

10. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    PS- VERY interesting that you and many of like mind think that laws targeting voter fraud would disproportionately impact black communities. Why is that?

ID's aren't a real problem and you know it. If someone truly can't afford one then someone will get them one. You can be certain of that. So are you somehow in self-denial claiming "disenfranchisement" when what you really fear is a loss of those illegal votes? Do you think black people are somehow more dishonest that others?

11. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Then get them for everyone so that they don't have to pay. Problem solved. Otherwise, you're just regurgitating the same old GOP rewrite of Jim Crow.

12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Opposing voter ID laws is unAmerican. Letting people vote multiple times in the same election and letting people who are not eligible to vote is unAmerican, extreme, and absurd.

13. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Charging people to vote is unAmerican.

14. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To pass the constitutional test, the ID cards will have to be free. When they are, it will be a done deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then transportation to the polls should also be free including reimbursement for mileage if you drive your POV.

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why not give them a care while we are at it.

17. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Hmmm, in Australia where it is compulsory to vote, you stated who you were and then you were crossed off the roll...you need to be enrolled at 18 and you are fined if you don't vote...it is obviously a complex thing but I was surprised that in most countries voting is an option. Surely, in the USA being identified by ones tax file number would be sufficient ...sort out the citizen from the scallywag.

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Illegals get fake numbers or numbers who belong to someone else.

19. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

....but if there was a roll, that would be sorted surely! As you are enrolled according to address etc., this is not that hard. However, for those who are without a fixed address, I can see your point, however, this occurs everywhere, I think there must be some mechanism to cater for that which I am not aware. On voting day, hospitals and other facilities are visited by voting officials....

20. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prove it. We've gone over this several times. Actual cases of voter fraud--where actual illegal votes were cast, not just fraudulent voter registration--is extremely rare, less than 500 in the past 4 Presidential elections.