1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Oil changes

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Mar 10, 2008.

?
  1. I do!

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. My husband does.

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  3. I take it to a fast lube place.

21 vote(s)
    61.8%
  4. I take it to a dealer to change.

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  5. I don't have the oil changed.

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. I don't know who changes it. Someone else takes care of that.

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  7. Other.

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Who changes the oil in your car?

2. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Dh does both our cars. I've done it, but don't like it!

love,

Sopranette

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

I do it on occasion...but I only save about $8 bucks (per car) in doing so. If money's really tight, I will do it...but it's worth the $8 every 3-4 months to let someone else get dirty.

Besides...if we ever go to war with Japan again...it will not be over totalitarianism...but in their marketing of cars that no human can possibly reach into and do anything. The people that engineer these cars must have seven foot arms, one inch in diameter, with wrists and fingers that pivot 360 degrees and are double-jointed and magnetic.

Every time I work on my cars, I'm ready to invade that country.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I voted other, becaue I take it to whoever has the lowest price at the time. It's mostly Firestone (with the coupon they send out frequently).

I used to change it myself...but to me it's worth the 19.99 to have someone else do it. :)

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

My husband does it, if it were up to me, I'd take it to the shop.

6. Justlittleoldme

Justlittleoldme New Member

When I was a teen my dad taught me how to take care of a car. He didn`t have any sons but both my older sister and I had to learn a few things before he would let us get a license.

1) How to check all levels of fluid in the car.
    2) How to chage the oil and filters.
    3) How to change a flat tire.

He also made us learn to drive on a stick shift. He figured if we could do that, we could drive just about anything....and we can.

Now I am married to a wonderful man who takes care of all those things for me!:love2:

7. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

i'm doing good to know how to put oil in the car...

8. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Your dad sounds like me! I made all my kids learn the exact same things before they could drive, and I also taught them on a stick shift. :laugh:

9. Justlittleoldme

Justlittleoldme New Member

I just checked your profile out of curiosity and my dad is just a few years older then you.

It would be interesting to see if parents are still doing that today. I know my husband made sure our boys knew how to do all of those before they graduated.

10. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

The oil is changed when I take my car to the garage for its 6-monthly service. (Not sure if that is what was meant by "Take it to a dealer", so I voted "Other"). I don't think we have "Fast Lube Places" here.

#10 David Lamb, Mar 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2008
  11. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

All of them weren't doing it back then...

My late husband had never changed a tire and had no clue as to how to do it, he used to call and have a tow truck come and change it for him.

12. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

I need to put oil in the car? :BangHead:

13. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I said Dealer, because last Dec., as my car was nearing the end of its first year, I took it in for a complete evaluation, plus oil change and tire rotation. I had a coupon I had received in the mail, but it was expired and they said the regular charge is actually less than that coupon's value :laugh: . And not surprisingly, they 'recommended' I get new tires, though the original tires had only 16,000 miles. I told them to just put the fronts straight back on the rear and the rear crossing over to the front, as normal; it would be ridiculous to get even 2 new ones as long s the 2 with little wear are on the front.

But the car is almost due again for an o/c, and this time I will probably go to a quick lube. For many years I did most changes myself, using my old set of ramps. But the low design of front ends today made those old ramps useless, and I sold them a for a dollar apiece at a garage sale. Now that I think about it, though, I may look at Wal-Mart for longer ramps; it should take only 2 changes to make a little "elbow-grease" (not to mention knee-rease and finger-grease) a thrifty deal.

14. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Ah, i take it you are another one of those non-mechanical types, lol!

15. billreber

billreber New Member

I take my cars to Wally World (Wal-Mart to those who might not understand). I don't consider them a "fast-lube* place, since it usually takes an hour or more.

I prefer not to work on my cars. After all, I want them to work when they've been worked on! :laugh: :laugh:

Bill :godisgood:

16. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Grease Monkey every 3000 miles religously... :thumbs: