1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

OK for a woman to baptize?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by rbell, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Accountable

Accountable New Member

Brother Bob,

You stated that you only accept baptisms from within your Association.
    Are you saying that if you happened to be a part of the Southern Baptist Associattion you wouldn't accept an Independent Baptist's baptism for membership? Or are you saying association as in "this camp" or "that camp.?"

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I am saying if we were a part of the SBC, then we would accept any baptism preformed by a church in SBC, for they would be of our same faith and order.

We are not a part of the SBC but in our correspondence are around two hundred churches, of which we accept baptisms from any church in that two hundred. Will the SBC accept baptisms done by the Pope or his preists or clergy?

We also consider Baptism to be a part of the ministry and therefore must be an ordained Preacher to perform the baptism. We do allow a "lay" person to help in the baptism as long as the Elder says the rites of baptism. I guess "rites" would be the right word, not sure. "We baptize this our brother in the name of The Father, The Son and The Holy Ghost, and then "amen".

#42 Brother Bob, Jul 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2007
  3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Historically, in the early church the pastor never dealt with a woman, that included baptism. Women only instructed younger women and children. Women were baptized in front of other women only.

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

But if you do this because of scriptural support, where is there scriptural support for Baptism "helpers?" Seems inconsistent to me...if you say, "we can't do it that way because Scripture doesn't ever say we can," then you can't use "helpers."

Another thing: so, is it the Trinitarian formula that makes the Baptism valid...and only a minister can deliver it in a valid way? A layperson can't say that, and it "count?"

Just wondering...

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Was the work of Judas redone?

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Hope this helps,

7. Accountable

Accountable New Member

Brother Bob, Of coarse we wouldn't believe in the validity of a batism by the Pope nor by anyone else who does unbiblically. My questioning is concerning true biblical Baptism. You state that you would only accept the Baptism from about 200 churches. Are you saying that there are now on Earth, currently only 200 churches which Baptize biblically? Please inform me of this "Association." Thank you.

8. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

My dear sweet (egghead professorial) husband has just informed me that women did perform baptisms in the early church (1-2 century). Baptisms were performed naked, so women baptized women.

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

We also have "closed" communion. You say you would not accept the Pope's work. I am sure if we went down them one by one, there would be others, JW, Seventh Day Adventist, Mormons etc.
    So, you see we all have our ways about us. I in no way would question your church or any other. We been around for a long time. We are The Old Regular Baptist. Now there is "Regular Baptist", but that is not us. We reach from Michigan to Fla. all up and down the East coast. We are very much like "Primitive" baptist in many ways of how we worship, except we believe in Salvation to all that will believe.

10. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

1 CORINTHAINS Chapter14 vers34-35 Let your women keep SILENCE in the CHURCHES:for it is not PERMITTED unto them to SPEAK;but they are COMMANDED to be under obedience,as also saith the LAW.35 And if they will learn anything, let them ask their husbands at home:for it is a shame for a women to speak in THE CHURCH. 36 What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?37 If any man thank himself to be a prophet or spiritual let him ACKNOWLEDGE that the things that I WRITE ARE THE COMMANDMENTS OF THE LORD. 38 But if any man be IGNORANT, let him Be IGNORANT.

11. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I dont see the part about baptism in there

12. charles_creech78

1 Timothy Chapter 2 vers 11 Let the women learn in silence with all subjection. 12 I suffer not a women to teach, nor to usurp authority over tha man,but to be in SILENCE. vers 15 Notwithstanding she SHALL be SAVED in CHILDBEARING, if she CONTINUE in FAITH and CHARITY and HOLINESS with sobriety.

#52 charles_creech78, Jul 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2007
  13. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

you can baptize someone in silence :saint:

14. charles_creech78

And he said unto them Full well you REJECT the COMMANDMENT of God that YOU may KEEP YOUR OWN TRADITION. Mark chapter 7 vers9

15. dan e.

dan e. New Member

time to post something other than what you think about women.

sheesh.

16. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

What about the "tradition" of the early church where women baptized?

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

The possibility of women baptizing reappears in the Praescriptio Haereticorum. This work indicates that there were in Carthage Christians apparently less interested in the creative tension of gift and office, since Tertullian attacks groups whose hierarchy is entirely fluid:
    The very women of these heretics, how wanton they are! For they are bold enough to teach, to dispute, to enact exorcisms, to undertake cures - it may be even to baptize. Their ordinations, are carelessly. administered, capricious, changeable. At one time they put novices in office; at another time, men who are bound to some secular employment; at another, persons who have apostatized from us,

I found this where they had apostatized from the church, is this what your husband is referring to. They not only baptized, they did it all, it seems like.

18. donnA

donnA Active Member

It's always nice to see people add to scripture isn't it. (sarcasm)

19. rbell

rbell Active Member

Charles, you haven't addressed Baptism yet...

...were you planning on doing so?

BTW, you DON'T have TO capitalize EVERY other WORD. it's NOT necessary. THANKS.

20. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

only if you hold them under the water long enough...:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.