1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Okay Let's Hear Your Defense of RW on this one

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by J.D., May 13, 2008.

1. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I was thinking about the same thing.

I think Shotgun has it wrong, because the Bible says that a tree is known by its fruit. You can plant an apple tree in the middle of orange trees, but that doesn't make the apple tree an orange tree.....it still produces apples.

Now, shotgun....we also know from Scripture that out of the mouth comes what is in the heart. You sure have a lot of things to say about Rick Warren.....what's going on that makes you so riled up? Please don't give some church answer that says you're concerned for pastors being biblical...blah blah...I don't buy that from your attitude.

2. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

I don't agree with what RW teaches, but I dislike condescension and pride even more. Todd Friel in this clip struck me as a blow hard.

Not only that, all he did was make little snarky comments after every sound byte. Why would someone listen to him? I'm against easy believism, and I think there is a danger in departing from the Gospel presentations given in the Bible(mentions of wrath and sin in each presentation in Acts), but I will not resort to moronic behavior.

3. Cutter

Cutter New Member

4. nunatak

nunatak New Member

HaHa, the Darth Vader music was really funny!

You Be You, now I have heard that in the work place...

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Which one? Rick Warren or Todd Friel (Way of the Master Radio host)? :rolleyes:

Seems kinda' hard to distinguish which one I should not favor, over the other one.

This was edited into what you are hearing, witness the comments that are spliced into the statements of Rick Warren (incidentally, the first image of the individual I have ever seen, even though I have read several things), according to the host himself (about 0:35 into the tape), so is a "'hatchet and smear' job" - er I mean a "cut and paste" production.

I am no particular fan of Rick Warren, by any stretch, but I am even less of a fan of any 'hatchet' job.

If the false teaching is all that obvious, why does the editor(s) have to remind us every few seconds, by splicing into this, and chopping even phrases and sentences apart??

Answer - They don't!

'Nuff said.

Ed

#45 EdSutton, May 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2008
  6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

For some reason, I seem to sense something of a parallel, here.

And I'm not talking about Rick Warren and Jesus!

Ed

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

"Gimme' a while, and I'll come up with something!"

What ever happened to I Tim. 5:19, here? It's still in the NKJV, 'cause I just checked!!

'Purpose Driven'?? No Rick Warren fan, here, from me. But consider the post, 'blog, and 'Chop-shop' video.

How about 'Agenda Driven'??

How phony! And how sad! :tear:

Ed

8. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I know nothing about ShotGunWillie or nunatak, but I am sure glad the Lord chose to keep company with me.

Ed

10. Cutter

Cutter New Member

A person that loves him with all of your heart, soul, mind, and strength.
    A person that takes up his cross and follows Him.
    A person that seeks to do the Father's will above all else.
    A person that yields to the leadership of the Holy Spirit.
    A person that loves his neighbor.
    Just a small list of what God wants you to be that can be backed up by the Word of the Lord. Also read Matthew 5:3-9 to see the type of person that the Lord views as being blessed.

11. nunatak

nunatak New Member

Cutter, it seems your sig details best of all who God wants us to be.

12. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Good point! :thumbs:

13. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Does that standard still apply when it comes to insinuating that Obama is a Muslim?

14. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Alright, I listened to the whole interview and here's what I discovered:

1. RW is a brilliant man who knows how to motivate and lead people.

2. None of his ideas are new.

3. He has no idea what the reformation was about ('creeds"?)

4. Bigness is the final authority.

5. Saddle Back has 100,000 people on the church roles, 22,000 attend.

6. He's in denial when he says that entertainment (rock bands etc.) has nothing to do with SB's numerical growth.

7. His theory that Jesus used an incremental process to get people to go from "come and see" to "come and die" is just wrong.

8. RW has tunnel vision. Everybody's doing it wrong except him - even Bill Hybels. In his mind, he has become the standard of comparison. He compares himself to Luther as a leader of a "new reformation". All that and he's humble too!

15. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So how many people have you led to Christ this year? Personally led to Christ?

How many books have you written that have influenced world leaders across the globe?

When your phone rang this morning was it like a relative or a global leader? (i.e. how broad is the measure of influence God has given you?)

I don't ask these because I worship at the altar of Pastor Warren...rather it would seem to me that one of true calibers of success in ministry would be the measure of influence which God has given a man. Just a thought.

I really tire of people running leaders who are biblically centered and deeply passionate about spreading the Gospel into the ground.

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You mean, like the Pope?

17. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

"For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise."

18. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Alright, I listened to the whole interview and here's what I discovered:

Let me add comments, if I may.

1. RW is a brilliant man who knows how to motivate and lead people.

I basically agree, here.

2. None of his ideas are new.

Probably not.

3. He has no idea what the reformation was about ('creeds"?)

("Objection! Your Honor! Calls for a conclusion on the part of the witness!"

"Sustained!")

I would counter with - I think I have a pretty good idea of what the reformation was about, but I still could not give any quote or sprecifics to any creeds, per se.

4. Bigness is the final authority.

I did not hear the interview, but this is probably an opinion, at best, as well.

5. Saddle Back has 100,000 people on the church roles, 22,000 attend.

Fact! That makes it a fairly large church, I'd say, even if it is a few hundred K short of the Yoido church's claimed membership of 830K.

6. He's in denial when he says that entertainment (rock bands etc.) has nothing to do with SB's numerical growth.

Entertainment may well have had something to do with this, but didn't 'cause' any membership of 100K, IMO.

7. His theory that Jesus used an incremental process to get people to go from "come and see" to "come and die" is just wrong.

Finally, an actual Biblical issue. Whether this issue is wrong (as you and I both do apparently agree on) or right, is to be found in Bible study. Unlike the other things which are largely personal preference, again IMO.

8. RW has tunnel vision. Everybody's doing it wrong except him - even Bill Hybels. In his mind, he has become the standard of comparison. He compares himself to Luther as a leader of a "new reformation". All that and he's humble too.

Nice parting shot! :rolleyes:

I suggest there is enough "tunnel vision" and 'humility' shown on the BB, if not in this thread, at least it is overall, for all of us, and with enough left over to share with other folks. :tear:

Ed.

#58 EdSutton, May 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2008
  19. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Mark 12:41 And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much.
    42 And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing.
    43 And he called [unto him] his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury:
    44 For all [they] did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, [even] all her living.

Mark 14:3 And being in Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, as he sat at meat, there came a woman having an alabaster box of ointment of spikenard very precious; and she brake the box, and poured [it] on his head.
    4 And there were some that had indignation within themselves, and said, Why was this waste of the ointment made?
    5 For it might have been sold for more than three hundred pence, and have been given to the poor. And they murmured against her.
    6 And Jesus said, Let her alone; why trouble ye her? she hath wrought a good work on me.
    7 For ye have the poor with you always, and whensoever ye will ye may do them good: but me ye have not always.
    8 She hath done what she could: she is come aforehand to anoint my body to the burying.
    9 Verily I say unto you, Wheresoever this gospel shall be preached throughout the whole world, [this] also that she hath done shall be spoken of for a memorial of her.

One woman did her deed not to be praised or recognized by man, but because she was willing to give everything she had for God's glory. Influencing man was not her goal.
    The other woman was reviled by those in the presence of Christ because of what she did. She did not even influence, (in a good way) them, much less world leaders. Yet, Christ memorialized her for perpetual generations.
    Remember that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of the Lord. If the world falls in love and is able to tolerate somebodies message, without it moving them to repent and take up their cross and follow Christ, then that preaching is in vain. Paul said I came unto you not in the excellency of speech or of man's wisdom, but in a demonstration of the Spirit and power of God! Where is the Spirit? Where is the power? I find and witness it in few places today.
    Many will appear before Christ claiming to have accomplished great works in His Name. His reply, Depart from me, I never knew you.
    Wake up to the truth. Repent and be baptized. Seek the Lord while He may be found. The fundamentals and the methods of Christianity have not changed. Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today, and forever. Praise Him and lift His Name above other names! Worship Him alone and follow after righteousness. I follow no man! I am not interested in dropping names other than that Name that is above all others, Jesus Christ.

20. nunatak

nunatak New Member

I think your point were well taken, but here I have to disagree.
    2Th 3:7 For you know yourselves how you must imitate us, because we did not behave without discipline among you,
    God gave the church pastors, etc., for the perfection of the saints.