1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Okay you bible exegeters...

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by SovereignGrace, Oct 10, 2015.

1. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kyredneck, let me try to clarify what I am trying(poorly it appears) to express in the OP. Everybody on here agrees with justification, salvation by faith. Now, if faith is innate in mankind, then sinners justified themselves, and not God. However, if faith is God-given(and it is), then it truly is God who justifies the nations(heathen in KJB).

To carry on with this thought, one does not possess justification without sanctification and also salvation. So if God truly justifies the sinner by faith, you can hang your hat that they're saved. Because being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion.[Phpp. 1:6] Now, God states through Solomon that to justify(set free) the wicked is an abomination in God's sight. Ergo, here comes the God-man Christ Jesus, who God pours out His wrath upon His own Son. Why? He took our sins, therefore, He injested the wrath of God by partaking of that cup. If God's justice had not been satisfied(true propitiation at work), then we have no hope. Why? Justifying the wicked is an abomination to God. Jesus, by taking our But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed.[Isa. 53:5] Now, by Jesus satisfying God's justice and appeasing His wrath, He justifies the wicked.

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am disagreeing with your assertion that the two verses in question were "Apples and oranges."

Proverbs establishes the principle that "He that justifieth the wicked . . . [is] abomination to the LORD."

And Romans tells us that God justifies the ungodly (wicked) and, as God considers that "abomination" so He could not simply say, "Oh, never mind." He had to come in the Person of Christ to pay the penalty. God is a Righteous God and therefore cannot violate His own law.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I chose to put this topic here because it is soteriological in its essence. As you can see as it has unfolded, it needed to be put here.

4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ???

There's zilch Calvinism vs. Arminianism debate that has unfolded here. My point is simply that you've chosen two unrelated passages to form an exegisis. But it seems you've got company to share your imaginations with, so have at it brother. :)

5. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It IS apples and oranges, but we'll just have to agree to disagree on that, right?

(hmmm, no button for 'agree to disagree')

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, others have expressed the same thoughts I have. As Solomon expressed under inspiration of the Spirit, whoever justifies the ungodly(wicked) would perform an abominal act. We know that God will never violate His word or character. I used these two verses to show that by God justifying the ungodly(wicked) His justice and wrath would have be satisified. This is why propiation is so important to understand. I guess we'll just have to disagree, I guess.

7. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Go to around the 13:00 mark and start listening if you do not have time to listen to this whole blessed sermon, please.

8. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How does the rest of the passage, "he who condemns the just" fit into this 'exegesis'. It doesn't.

But it does jibe perfectly with 'those who call evil good and good evil', just as my Nelson ASV reference Bible directed me to.

Sure, you all are preaching to the choir here with truth about what God had to do in order to justify the ungodly and yet remain righteous doing so, but Prov 17:15 is on another tangent than this.

9. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bro., if you have time sometime today, listen to that sermon. He's a blessed preacher.

10. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No doubt he is SG, and don't take it wrong, but I've other things to do right now (like go to bed). Maybe later.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I previously stated, go to ~13:00 and listen to him a few minutes. He states it more succinctly than I could ever hope to do, Monsieur.

12. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is good. I think that connection that you (and Paul Washer) make between Proverbs and Romans is amazing.

• Like Like x 2
  13. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh trust me, I did not link these two verses together. I got this from listening to that sermon I inserted in post # 30. I am but a simpleton trying to learn all I can about the gospel. Bro. Paul and I and on completely different rungs on the bible knowledge ladder. But I do try hard. :) :D

• Like Like x 1
  14. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are all on different rungs. What is important is which direction we are going. Climbing into greater heights of knowledge or descending into greater darkness of heresy and apostasy. :)

• Like Like x 2
  15. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I went and listen to Paul Washer... As I was listening I discovered that I had been listening to that doctrine and preaching for 40 years... SG do you find this new?... This is Grace!... Not what we will or do for God but what he has done for us through his Son Jesus The Christ and his cross!... That's my doctrine and belief!... Brother Glen

• Like Like x 1
  16. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Growing up among the free will believers, I never got a whole lot of in depth teaching/preaching. Not saying this to be mean, but it is the truth nonetheless.