1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

OKC Hornets

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Squire Robertsson, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any thoughts from the Heartland on this possiblity?

2. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I don't see them playing in NO for a while. Will there be enough people there to go to the games?

3. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The last I read, a week or so ago, in their last six OKC home games, the Hornets sold out three. Attendance figures for the other games were not mentioned. OKC it seems had built an arena for a NHL expansion franchise that never saw the light of day. So, OKC had an arena but no pro-team. OKC also threw in a bunch of incentives for the Hornets. However, the Hornets have been drawing sufficient numbers as to not need the OKC money.

Who da thunk?

4. quidam65

quidam65 Member

It would make a great rival for the Dallas Mavericks if we didn't already have two other teams in Texas. I think it is a possibility, however the owner is very disliked around the league (he was essentially kicked out of Charlotte) so OKC may end up with a bad team for years to come.

5. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So far, he's behaved himself in OKC. Personally, I think a team in OKC makes sense. The city is in the middle of the doughnut hole. To the West, there's Denver. To the Northeast, there's Kansas City and Memphis. To the South, there are the three teams you mentioned. Just think of the market that's within a three hour drive of OKC. Folks three hours out would spend the night every month or so. But what's happening other than watching the corn grow? However figure the population with say a two hour or less drive. The article I read likened the situation to the Sacramento King's market. Nothing besides the Kings is located between Fresno and Redding. OKC can go in a full circle rather than an oval. (The Kings have the Sierra Nevadas to their east and the Bay Area to their west.)

6. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's wheat, Squire. And a bit of cotton.

Besides, we can spend endless hours posting on the BB ...

7. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I was talking about attendance in NO. I don't think NO can support a team now and they didn't do well before. But with so many it wouldn't be PC to take them away from NO at this point in time. I would say the owners would love to stay in OKC.

8. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Considering the current state of affairs, the ownership and the NBA Commissioner's Office have down played any talk of a move. (This mostly because of the stink the Saints owner has raised.) Though if NO doesn't get things back in place for the 07/08 or better yet the 06/07 season, all bets are off.