1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Okla. Supreme Court upholds Common Core repeal

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OKLAHOMA CITY – The Oklahoma Supreme Court ruled Tuesday that the Legislature had the authority to repeal Common Core education standards for English and math in the state's public schools.

The state's highest court took the action a little more than four hours after attorneys presented oral arguments in a lawsuit that challenged the Legislature's action.

The lawsuit alleged lawmakers violated the state Board of Education's constitutional authority over the "supervision of instruction in the public schools" when they repealed Common Core standards earlier this year. But the Supreme Court's 8-1 decision said the Legislature's action was not unconstitutional.

The case was argued about a month before public school students across the state are scheduled to return to classrooms. The standards were scheduled to go into effect in the upcoming school year.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/07/15/okla-supreme-court-upholds-common-core-repeal/

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Talking with a friend yesterday; teachers in the local area have been so tied to test scores, that they don't believe they can actually teach. For example, if a math teacher tries to teach pre-calculus (high school level), they know their student test scores are going to be lower because the material is harder and more challenging; and lower scores are what gets them labeled as "ineffective" and eventually fired.

So most teachers are avoiding the harder subjects because they feel their jobs are threatened.

A Pinterest cartoon my wife showed me asked the question: in the space of only 100 years, how did we go from requiring Latin to teaching remedial English--at the college level?

The answer is: When we decided the students' feelings are more important than actual learning, and said that if your students don't all score A's, you're a bad teacher and we'll find someone else to do the job....

3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have to have standards for teachers that are measurable. Give the teachers union by and large public shool teachers cannot be trusted to themselves.

4. thisnumbersdisconnected

That's because the teachers' unions have no interest in providing education. Their primary interest is membership and money, while the teachers in the classrooms are left to fend for themselves. The NEA and AFT only get involved when there are cameras and reporters present.

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rev - I disagree. That philosophy says teachers are the ones responsible, and puts no responsibility on the student.

We need educational standards that are measurable, but we need to put the emphasis on students, not teachers. Teachers can inspire; but they can't make an unwilling student learn, any more than you or I can make a horse drink.

If the American government and commercial sectors identify the skills and education they require, then the curriculum should identify those skills and education as the minimum requirement; and it should be hammered into students that if they want a job, they have to meet at least that minimum requirement...or better, if they want more money.

Instead, we have people saying they should get paid $15/hour for flipping burgers, sending the message that education doesn't matter because we'll take care of them.

That's not the teachers fault.

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dsagree. I do not trust the public education system. Therefore unless I know them personally I do not trust the teachers. There are far too many who have an agenda that is far outside the bounds of acceptable education. The teachers need to hold the students accountable. The tax payer needs to hold the teachers accountable.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By the way teachers condemn any stanards for them except all the sudden they are all over this common core stuff. Why is that?

8. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand what you're saying. The accountability should be the jobs sector. When a business hires someone, they should note the school; if the employee under-performs, after graduating from an institution that basically stated the employee could do the job because they graduated from that institution, then a report should be filed. Certain number of reports, and the institution should be held accountable for the lack of ability to meet the workforce requirements. THAT'S how the Department of Education should work, in my personal be-it-ever-so-humble opinion.

You have multiple teachers working to the same goal: reputation of the institution to meet the minimum requirements for the workforce.

As it stands, we have a system that says it doesn't matter what subject you teach; you didn't meet the required number of students passing, so you're a lousy teacher.

As for the Common Core thing - in all honesty, the reasons are mixed. Some didn't like it because it took away their academic freedom to teach beyond just the basics. Some didn't like it because of some of the content. And some didn't like it because it required them teach to a particular standard, instead of allowing them to teach to whatever standard they decided upon.

By the way: I teach at the community college level, and am trying to correct what my students didn't get in high school.

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also what we have is teachers who can't get fired. The teachers union is all about the teachers and when the teachers wants conflict with the students needs in education then the teacher wins.

I do not trust the public school system.