1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Old, Effective Youth Leaders

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by Gib, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Gib

Gib Active Member

Reading an article by Andy Blanks in the Youth Ministry 360/Fall 2013 Resource and Training Magazine and it asks, "When is a youth minister too old to be effective?" Of course it caught my eye, cause I'm old. Andy is in his mid 30's. I had been a bi-vocation music minister since 1995 and just within the last year or so have gone full-time and graciously accepted our churches youth and children's ministries. I can't bang around with the kids on the football or paintball fields like I used to, but my mind is still young.

We took our youth to Superwow's MOVE conference in Macon this past January. I had in my mindset what I thought the other youth leaders and workers would look like. You know, young kids in their 20's, hipsters wearing their skinny jeans, rubber band bracelets, and Justin b. haircuts. At the first leader’s meeting I was surprised to see many of the adults in an age group I thought I would fit in. Now I don’t feel so old.

If you have a youth minister/leader serving in your church, how old are they and how long have they been serving in that capacity? If you ARE an older youth minister/leader, how long have you been serving and do you still feel you are effective in youth ministry?

Online resource: https://youthministry360.com/blog/y...n-is-a-youth-minister-too-old-to-be-effective

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

The church I attend does not have a "youth minister" per se, but the one helping to lead that area right now is in his low 30's.

Co pastors are 44 and 49.

Missions/Justice pastor is 30 something.

Children's person is late 20's.

3. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We don't segregate by age, so we don't have a "youth minister". To the contrary, we're age-integrated and pair our young men and women up with older saints for mentoring and discipleship.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats good, but it is also good to have activities just for teens and youths.