1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Old folks who think they love old things

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is there really an IFB-X group distinguishable from IFB's by their strictness & that women MUST wear jumpers & little girls Must wear enclosed Mary-Jane shoes with socks so as not to expose the toes (Seriously). Ive seen this as part of the dress code. So bizarre.

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Luke,
    On this point I have to agree. I am 60, and the generation ahead of me is who I assume you are talking about. And yes, I like the traditional hymns, but that is not the point. A lot of the older people actually believe there is something holy about the hymn book compared to contemporary music. In reality, if we were to sing a song (if we knew how) out of Psalms, which is the song book back during David's time, they would not like the music.

This older generation has its own fads just like any other one does. Ours was long hair, the Beatles, and whatever. Theirs is restaurants that serve home cooked meals and hymns that are a few hundred years old. Somehow that is attached to being closer to the Lord. Why I do not know. It is like the KJVO crowd of that generation, it makes no sense. Also, something else I noticed, deacons in Baptist churches during the say 30s, 40s, 50s and maybe 60s, were very authoritarian (legalistic we would call it), and ran the local church as boards of deacons. In this case, older does not make them more Biblical, because a deacon is a servant. If a local church wants a group of men to run the church for them, they need elders.

So, even at my age, the good old days are a myth invented for what purpose I do not know. This generation tolerated segregation and being plain mean to a whole race of people for no reason. That made them better or more godly???? Another example of the good old days????? No thanks.

I remember as a teenager in Gulfport (at First Presby) the deacons and elders (and their wives) felt they were entitled to sit is a particular pew and seat every Sunday. So we, as teens, made a hobby of sitting in each elders and deacons seat just to watch their looks when they walked into church. If you could have seen the look on the wives face.

Dont get me wrong. This generation went through the Great Depression and WW2. And they made our lives better than theirs materially. However, nothing about their worship habits made them any better than anyone else. In fact the generation before them, the roaring 20s, was the devil let loose.

Luke, maybe as the generation gets older, it forgets the mistakes, sin, and focuses on the good times. Who knows? I will be the first to admit, as you have pointed out in other threads, that my generation has done a terrible job overall as a witness for Christ.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats interesting......I have never experienced any of this. Growing up in the RCC, you are told what to believe & what to sing & if you dont like it.....to darn bad. Protestants have tremendous leeway regarding selection of songs & prayers & such. In the RCC, your not even considered enough to be consulted with. Theres a big difference!

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Well, I have been trying to get "Bottle of Wine, Fruit of the Vine" by the Fireballs as the invitation song for years, to date, no luck.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats probably because your not an Arminian. Become one then all you see will be yours....if you will just bow down. :laugh:

6. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I thought earlier today that I had made my last post on the Baptist Board but just one more! If the Lord lets me live I will be 82 years old March 31. Folks this thread is an embarrassment and I believe an affront to Jesus Christ who died for each of us.

Jeremiah 6:16. Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Why do you believe that?

Do you even HAVE a case for what you claim??

That verse supports the op which is the very OPPOSITE of what you probably THINK is old. My experience is that most old people who talk about old things don't know the first thing about genuinely old things in Christianity.

#27 Luke2427, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2013
  8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, congratulations on your birthday! My Father in law is 85 & still in very good health

9. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

When i see Minnonite Ladies at Wal-Mart in their long dresses and bonnets it makes me wish for times gone by when women had respect for themselves. When i go to church i want it simple, i prefer the songs like Amazing Grace, Holy Holy Holy, and Jesus Lover Of My Soul. I don't go where where the flesh worship is promoted to entice the younger generation join in. I believe a christian should look different, talk different, and act different from the world.

10. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the context of this thread old or young is not measured chronologically, IMHO, but in attitude and in intractability ... and in that context I find some of the chronologically younger folk as much older than some on the BB that are older chronologically.

It is not in what hymns they like or dislike, but in their attitude. EW&F's father may well be much younger in the context of this thread than may now are much younger chronologically. EW&F, give him our best regards.

As they used to say where I grew up, "Be not the first to take up the new nor the last to give up the old".

Blessings.

11. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

And how does this apply to the op?

And if everyone in the "world" wore suits and long dresses would you still want Christians to "look different' from the world?

IOW, if the style of the culture was "conservative dress" would you want Christians to stand out in the way they look- perhaps some nose rings and tattoos? After all, Christians are supposed to "look different from the world" right?

12. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I Tend to agree, even though the things stated in the OP are true for many people of various ages, It seems the thread is little more than patting ourselves on the back that we are not like "those people." I don't see how it is constructive.

13. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Why is everything supposed to be immediately constructive?

Your comment, here, for example is not constructive.

Some times you are supposed to be immediately destructive (of an idea or way of thinking) so that you can be ultimately constructive.

We are about to remodel our Education Dept. Do you know what we have to do first? Yep. Demolition.

Why do people have such a hard time understanding this?

When did the idea that you should never launch an assault on bad thinking in the church arise?

I figure it is the results of the hippy era.

We live in the age of Joel Osteen, not Jonathan Edwards.

For clarity's sake, I am not TRYING to be constructive at this point. Demolition is ESSENTIAL to construction. Perhaps the reason our church is losing our culture is because we are trying to build it around all kinds of contradictory paradigms that we should be demolishing.

The generation before mine lost prayer in school, legalized mass infanticide, sat by as AIDS and STD's became an epidemic in this nation, let divorce rise more than any other generation in history... and the way they tried to do it FAILED. Why can't we have the backbone to say it? If you are 60 years old or older- YOUR GENERATION LOST THIS NATION. It is not hyperbole to say that you have UTTERLY failed.

So we need to do some demolition of the ideas they left us so we can build this thing right.

#33 Luke2427, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2013
  14. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

Our bodies are the temple of the Holy Ghost, our bodies should be covered not uncovered to entice someone to lust after our bodies. When i say we should look different than the world, i am talking about how the world dresses today or should i say the way they go undressed. As far as the op is concerned i know that the old fashion altar in not old, it was brought into the church and made a part of the worship service which i don't agree with. The songs like I'll fly away and Let us have a little talk with jesus is songs i won't sing. By the same token i get nothing out of christian rock band music or singing groups where the men won't comb their hair and their hair looks like mine when i first get out of bed. Back in the 60's and 70's men grew long hair but that was not enough, they got to where they wouldn't wash or comb their hair. Now it's ear rings, nose rings and tongue rings. This is rebellion against the establishment. The world as a whole is in rebellion because by nature they are rebels. I am old fashion, i will not join in the culture of the world.

15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I really don't have the slightest problem with this. I commend you.

This "I'll Fly Away" shallow mess is what most old folks mean by "Old Paths" and I contend that this is the kind of shallowness that ABSOLUTELY LOST this nation.

16. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What total unmitigated arrogance and ignorance! What over generalization! What misguided understanding of the past! You have no recognition of the shoulders of the giants of the past you stand on.

Actually I find your comments for the most part very shallow, arrogant and shallow. I do pray that with age you will find some wisdom ... that can come only when you begin to realize how narrow and shallow you are and that ther is so much to learn. Learning is for live.

When I was young I thought I knew everything.
    I found that was not true.
    As I have grown older I continue to find more and more that I do not know.

It is like:

I climbed the mountain of truth, only to find when I arrived at what appeared to be the crest of that mountain the was mountain range after mountain range ahead, yet to climb.

Blessings.

17. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Crabtown, I know you probably don't realize this, but you almost NEVER make a case for what you claim.

You just claim things are so. That's it.

You don't try to show why what you say is so IS so. You just say it and expect people to accept it.

Saying the word "shallow" repeatedly in a post is not an argument. It is not making a case.

You have to show WHY someone is shallow.

But if you do THAT, then I can show where your thinking is flawed- I gues you know that at least subconsciously, so you just make a claim without a warrant so you don't get schooled.

Now, some people are "shallow" enough to think that such a strategy has merit. But no thoughtful person would think this post of yours has any merit whatsoever.

It is nothing but ad hominem and I figure it is probably the best you can do.

18. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your own posts and words confirm what I said.

Your post appear to be attempts to make yourself feel good and superior to all others. Your threads almost always attack other Christians. Why not attack the real enemy? Those who support injustice? Those who desire to keep the poor poor and take what little the have? Those who oppose helping others? Those who only want for themselves?

Why do you not discuss what it means to give one's all to Jesus?
    Why do you not discuss what it means to live the great commission?
    Why do you not discuss what it means to die to self and live for Christ?

Why do you continually resort to attacking other Christians?

This thread and the one you posted on the hippie generation is shallow as it does nothing to bring the light of Christ to the world, not does it do anything to beginning making right the injustices of the world or the injustices brought by some churches. When you want to talk about something substantial and not just condemn others, then perhaps we can have a meaningful conversation.

By the way, I did show you on several threads much earlier that your particular Calvinist stance made God the author of all evil and a very bad God.

Also I and others have shown that Calvin is basically a follow-on of ancient gnostic teachings. A number of times I asked you questions which you ignored.

And, if you are the Calvinist, as you claim, then it is not the old people's fault, nor the generation you damn in another thread who is at fault for current problems as you see them. It was God who preordained all this before the beginning of time .... to, as you say, bring glory on Himself. So you should be praising instead of damning.

This is a ridiculous position to hold, but it is the only honest one you can hold if you believe as you say you do in Calvinist threads.

#38 Crabtownboy, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2013
  19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh great....now your going to throw rocks at Calvinism for the boys acting out...please!

Luke...your SBC. Start by by burning down that stinking mess you call a church and walk the streets ministering to the poor & destitute! Give everything you own to the poor.Preach on the sidewalks...make your mission known to GODS children ...& stop flapping your mouth in here like you want to shock people...cause nobody gives a hoot--until you personally start desplaying your own willingness to go the extra step. Right now you are in the same comfort zone that you rail against others about.

20. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Crabby, this is a discussion about the generational failures of the American church, there's no reason to drag liberal democrats into the discussion. :tongue3:

Of course the folks in liberal denominations who have gotten away from God's word and ordained women, preach a false gospel of social justice, preach a false gospel of saving the planet (global warming, etc.), and tout their "Open Minds, Open Hearts" above the truth of God's word have contributed just as much as the older folks in "bible believing" baptist churches that operate nothing more than a social club because God has made them prosper so much causing them to be apathetic.

#40 Thousand Hills, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2013