1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Old Paths

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rufus_1611, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Citizen

Citizen New Member

Feel free to use it, free of charge. Should get at least 10 "amens" out of it, depending on mood level. ;)

2. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

Steve Vai played his part. Ry Cooder played the first part of Ralph Maccio's guitar part, Vai played the rest.

3. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Out of curiosity, I looked up John Gill's commentary on "ask for the old paths." His answer is similar to that of Scarlet O.: "of righteousness and holiness, which Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and others, walked in..."

He comments about the entire verse: "Now, in religious things, the Scriptures are the way mark to direct us which way we should take: if the inquiry is about the way of salvation, look up to these, which are able to make a man wise unto salvation; these show unto men that the way of salvation is not works of righteousness done by them, but Christ only: if the question is about any doctrine whatever, search the Scriptures, examine them, they are profitable for doctrine; they tell us what is truth, and what is error: if the doubt is about the matter or form of worship, and the ordinances of it, look into the Scriptures, they are the best directory to us what we should observe and do:"

4. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

I might be missing your point here, but this sounds like a doctrine of pragmatism. Stated another way, "If it works its good."

"What reaches people for Christ?" The Holy Spirit through the obedience of believers and their faithful praying.
    "What gets the Word in the hands of lost people?" Faithful believers, empowered by God to bring the message of God.

Sometimes I take posts the wrong way, sorry if I did not assess this rightly. What I would like to say is this, when dealing with the 'old path' statement, I have heard that used to justify anything and everything. It's been a favorite among KJVo , among people who strictly suggest that hymns are the only way to worship, ect.

Althought you are probably like me, do not forget the significance of this statement! Scarlett O. shone some very good light on this verse, in its original context, I think she has had practice at this before! :)

Your ignorant little brother,
    Andy