1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Old Regular Baptist Association History

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Brother Bob, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Brethren;
    I have added a history of the Old Regular Baptist Association to my Web Site, which is located in my signature. It is as close as I and others can surmise. We are still working on the history and I will probably post more later.

BBob, :type:

2. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Brother Bob. The history is very interesting.

My Wife was born in Elkhorn City, KY and still has family living there, and we've visited there and Pikeville, KY several times.

I don't know of any Old Regular Baptist churches in Michigan [not to say there aren't any just because I've never heard of them though. LOL] We do have several churches that belong to the GARBC [General Association of Regular Baptist Churches] in our area. I'm not sure if I'm confusing them with your Association or if they are birds of a different feather.

#2 Friend of God, Jan 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2008
  3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Hi FoG;
    I don't know what part of Mich. you live but we have several churches there all way up to Huron and Ypsilanti, Lincoln Park and several others.
    We are a different breed thatn GARBC though, I do not believe we are as much Calvinistic as they are and our practices are much more strict in things such as hair, wearing apparell and other things.

I lived up there for several years. I lived up at Caro, Michigan for 7 years, then I lived in Garden City for several years. Hamtramick when I first came to Mich in 1957 and left in 1969.

BBob, :thumbs:

4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "Regular" in GARBC refers to the word's usage among Baptists of the North (aka Northern Baptists). I know of a church in San Francisco founded in 1881. Its founding charter states "We hold to the doctrined commonly held by Regular Baptists." Knowing the church's history, I know "Regular" had nothing to do with the "Old Regulars."

#4 Squire Robertsson, Jan 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2008
  5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, Brother Bob. Some interesting information there.

"Regular" originally designated the churches that followed the Particular Baptist tradition brought from England, distinguishing them from the "irregulars," such as the Six Principle Baptists and Free Will Baptists.

The Old Regulars represent a stream of Baptist tradition that separated from the "missionary" Baptist movement that that became predominant among American Baptists.

6. chariot

chariot New Member

Brethren;ORB aSSOC hIST.

Brethren;
    I have added a history of the Old Regular Baptist Association to my Web Site, which is located in my signature. It is as close as I and others can surmise. We are still working on the history and I will probably post more later.

wow bob! I like history in line 14 and 15 of what Philadelphia did. It really ties into my parents old farm lands on the Eastern shore. It was two men from the Carolina Assoc. up the Cheasapeake Bay and into Messongo Creek and preached on a tree stump that started the first Baptist church there on our lands. One fellow was named "Marshall". Unfortunately the Virginia Commissioner by the Governor heard about it and put these guys into stocks, called the debtors prison of which today the County cites as great show of history of tourist attractions of tantillizing folks in it as a show of colonial times.

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Makes us all wonder how close we might be to each other through our ancestors, doen't it??

BBob,

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

The moderator of the New Salem Association died this morning, Brother Ellis Holbrook. He will be at the association building on Left Beaver, tomorrow night and the next with the funeral on Wed I think at 11:00am

BBob,