1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Old Testamant

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen. Great blessings, examples, principles from the OT.

But how "up-to-date" and "relevant" to the NT church today are the laws of national Israel? the laws of the sacrifices and Judaism?

Words like "relevant" are open to wide interpretation. We see a picture of the Lamb of God/Jesus Christ in the sacrificial system, so it is "relevant" in a loose sense. But to the day-to-day function of the NT church like they were to the day-to-day function of Judaism? Hardly a comparison

Webster shows
    "relevant" as close logical relationship and importance to
    "germane" as close natural connection or fit
    "pertinent" as immediate and direct bearing
    "apposite" as both relevant and appropriate
    "applicable" as being brought to bear on a matter
    "apropos" as opportune as well as relevant

I would choose the word "applicable" to the OT for the NT Church today. We can apply certain ideas, types and pictures as well as historical data and be enriched by such examples.

[Good discussion. Stretching my thinking and research. Thankful to have an old hard-copy Websters that lists synonyms and distinctions of each]

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How often have we been taught something is church and took it as "gospel"! :laugh:

It is imperative, that we search our Bible ourselves and see what WE believe. One phase I despise is "My pastor believes that...." Okay, but what do you believe?
    We may not be theology experts, but with some diligent study, we can build some Biblical foundations ourselves. You can trust me on that - because Dr. Bob believes it ! :D :rolleyes:

3. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Jesus Christ said, "man shall not live by bread alone but by every word which proceedeth out of the mouth of God."

Paul said, "all scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable..."

There are some things we don't go to the OT to get. For instance, we don't go there for our form of worship in the church. But, to say that parts of the OT are not relevant to God's people today is against the very teaching of the bible itself. God didn't waste any words in His bible. Everything in there is relevant to God's people today because everything in the bible points to and teaches us about Jesus Christ. What is more relevant to a child of God than Jesus Christ?

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    God didn't waste words. Correct.

100% of what He gave in His Word for Jewish worship, sacrifices, etc was not a waste. It accomplished its primary purpose. They learned and obeyed to show their faith.

Secondary purpose is for an example for us. But PRIMARY purpose is long gone and totally not applicable (my choice of words) to my life or God's Church today.

5. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not see anywhere it says something was wrong with the content or context of the old covenant. For finding fault with them. The natural, earthy, people were the problem.

Most if not all churches I have been to taught it isn't a law that you tithe bult all wanted you to.

Just a question. Would we be a healther people if we ate according to the food laws of the law?

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread more than 3 years ago - sounds like a good discussion to contiune for those who joined Baptist Board later.

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it.
    Genesis 1:28a (NIV)

One of the few things God commanded that humans have done.

Mission Accomplished

Rob

8. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The only thing not valid for us in the Old Testament Scripture is the "old" Covenant Administration as applied to Israel. However, the principles behind that administration and moral precepts are as valid now as then.

9. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

You correctly state that the Old Testament is a history of redemption. It is a mystery to me why anyone would state:
    It is the fulfillment of the Messianic prophecies of the Old Testament that definitively prove that Jesus is the promised Messiah, the Incarnate God, the Redeemer promised initially in Genesis 3:15.

That initial promise of a Redeemer was initiated in time with the calling of Abraham and the establishment of the nation of Israel to whom, as the Apostle Paul says, were committed the oracles of God.

10. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Who is the Author of the Law?
    Who is the Author of Grace?
    Is God the Author of Confusion?

The Law was designed for one thing, and grace for another thing. Only by confusing their designs do they contradict each other. The Law does not contradict grace but rather grace compliments and fulfills the Law in regard to the Law's ultimate demands for righteousness.

Hence, the moral precepts found from Genesis to Revelation do not contradict each other. The only thing that is abolished in regard to the Law are its ceremonial forms in regard to the "house of God" and civil laws in regard to a theocratic nation. Its moral precepts are just as good, holy and just then as now but none were designed to save. None were designed to obtain eternal life and that is where the sole ground of conflict lies - abuse of Law's design.

11. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "multiply" doesn't have to be taken literally as a math term. The word just means to make more... babies. There is no biblical mandate for large families.