1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Old Testament Value

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HAMel, Dec 8, 2011.

1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Do not a Bible with me right now, but was sure that paul quoted isaiah and Luke in same passage, which would mean that both were viewed as being inspired by God!

Maybe the verse about muzzling the Oxen, person to get paid passage?

2. JesusFan

because its part of the inspired canon of scriptures, and because per the NT it was written to us for instruction/teaching/illustrating of the principles of God!

We though do have progressive revelation, and are now no longer under OT law, but under NT Grace!

We do need to know the OT background to the NT, as the NT completes fulfills fully the shadowy outlines of messiah and age to come in the OT!

Use it to read and understand what the NT writers were meaning by what they wrote, as scripture does interprete scripture!

#22 JesusFan, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2011
  3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Also the things in the OT are not completed as you suggested. There is still things in it yet to come.

4. JesusFan

that would be under the heading of the Second Coming/Millinium/Final state!

All that God for you and me for today is under the new Covenant!

5. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't know what your eschatological views are but you sound like someone that is beginning to awaken out of the half-darkness of dispensationalism.

6. JesusFan

just as vital to us in the new Covenant, as it is the "textbook" to us to interprete the new Covenant by, its just that there is progressive revelation from God, and though ALL of the OT is inspired by God, not ALL of it is applicable to us for today, as it was under the Old Coventant!

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No it is under the OT. I gave the evidence and you skipped over it. You will not find those in the NT.

8. beameup

beameup Member

During Paul's ministry, the "Bible" was the Old Testament. If you read Paul's Epistles to Timothy you will see that the purpose of the O.T. was to reveal the prophecies
    concerning Messiah [1 Tim 1:18]. Nowhere in the O.T. is the "Church" revealed. The "Church" mystery was revealed to Paul. That is why Paul's Epistles are "foundational" to Christians.

1 Cor 3:10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon.

Now that the New Testament is complete, and now that we have Paul's FOUNDATIONAL Epistles, then the O.T. takes on a different "role" to the Church in this present age of Grace.
    Without a strong FOUNDATION from Paul's Epistles and proper prioritizing of the O.T., all kinds of heresies spring up such as teaching that the Church has somehow "replaced" (genetic) Israel.
    [see Rom ch 9,10,11]

9. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

You do know that Luke traveled with Paul, right? That may have some bearing on what either of the two wrote, Holy Spirit notwithstanding (of course, everything written was under the inspiration of...).

10. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know what your eschatological views are but you sound like someone that is beginning to awaken out of the half-darkness of dispensationalism.

I'm going to leave all the doctrinal issue to all the folks with the alphabet soup behind their names.

What I do know is the Lord told me to follow Him. Each and every time I attend church I come away with another perfect example of the infinity of our God and He will show me what I need to know.

In the meantime, Christians should encourage the younger converts to consider the Old Testament just as valuable as the New Testament so as to encourage their daily growth regarding that infinity I just spoke of, if for no other reason than to broaden their horizons.

I stand in awe! The God of the universe who has always been and who always will..., reached down in 1972 and spoke to little 'ole me. Ask me if I was impressed.

11. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Don't know where you are headed but you are correct in part. The Prophet Isaiah speaks of the New heavens and New Earth as does the Book of Revelation.

Isaiah 65:17 KJV
    For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.

Revelation 21:1,2 KJV
    1. And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
    2. And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

All this to take place when the LORD returns in Power and Great Glory.

Also the Prophet Daniel speaks of the general resurrection as does our Savior in John 5:28, 29.

12. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

That was in response to JF and a statement he made about the OT being totally fulfilled and it is not for today. Not an exact quote but in the neighborhood. I gave him a short list of things not fullfilled yet in the OT but one day would be;
    Here is Just a few;
    Abrahamic Covenant
    Mosaic Covenant
    The Palestinian Covenant
    [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Davidic Covenant
    [/FONT]

13. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

The OT may not have been fulfilled, but the Law has. We read the OT to see how God dealt with mankind naturally. In the NT, we see how He deals with mankind Spiritually. We can not live by the OT, and/or Law, but we can glean from them.

14. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

and:

(Gal 3:23) But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.

(Gal 3:24) Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

(Gal 3:25) But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

15. JesusFan

Actually, only things left for God to wrap up now in this New Covenat age will be the rapture/second coming, set up jesus Kingdom fully on this earth, then the final Eternal State!

For us as Christians, all that we will need is under the new Covent between us and God in effect now!

16. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Agreed in concept, but what does that statement have to do with or against the OT?

17. JesusFan

Just was clarifying why i tend to see the OT in light of NOT having us still do Law, but to see it for principles/examples etc tous for today!

18. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

That is a flawed and inconsequential view of the OT.

In fact, EVERY tenet of the OT is still in active force. The only difference for those of us living in the New Covenant is that One came who perfectly fulfilled the mandates of the OT both actively and passively so that we could be imputed His righteousness. Proper understanding of this important issue needs to be part and parcel of our own theology so that we do not go amiss of God and God's (never improperly divided!) Word.

19. JesusFan

NOT the OT law in force though fir us under the new Covenant!

the OT is to be seen in light of the Cross/Messiah, and we do use it for theology/principles/examples in order to better interprete the NT...

BUT

It was all inspired by god, not directly applicapable though for us today!

20. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

You have just offered a weak view of the OT, and one often shared by many who teach about that issue. I've heard that mantra repeated time and again and it leads to liberal anti-nomianism at the end of the day. Not that you are there or heading there, but that is what happens after decades of emphasis that the OT is only a good example, similar in kind to the thought that Christ is only a good example.

No, the ENTIRE OT MUST be fulfilled to satisfy the God who is neither divided nor ever changes. That WE cannot fulfill it is a given. That Christ perfectly fulfilled it on our behalf is part and parcel of the good news of the gospel!