1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Old Universe/Recent Biosphere

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Paul33, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

HI HELEN!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

I am SOOOOO glad you appeared. I didn't answer very well the other night. I was up all night because of a sore throat that would not let me sleep.

I knew that if you would show up the answers would be provided.

I only wish you were not so humble. Most people on this site have no idea your connections in creation science. (Just thought I might blow your horn a little for you.)

I hope things are going well.

If you see this, have a GREAT day!
    [​IMG]

2. michelle

michelle New Member

Exodus 20

8. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
    9. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work
    :
    10. But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
    11. For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Exodus 31

14. Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.
    15. Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.
    16. Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
    17. It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

These two are most definately speaking of the SAME THING. Read in context. My bible says Heaven and earth, not sky and land. You are confused because you consider the heaven, only the sky. Scripture does not say sky, but heaven, to which God IS referring to the creation account in Genesis.

love in Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour,
    michelle

3. michelle

michelle New Member

--------------------------------------------------
    Day four, God pulls the clouds completely back revealing the sun, moon, and stars.

---------------------------------------------------

Scriptures do not say this. Scriptures say this:

Genesis 1

14. And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
    15. And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
    16. And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.
    17. And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,
    18. And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.
    19. And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.

Who is guilty of reading into the text that is not there? Nowhere does this passage mention anything about removing clouds. In fact, the scriptures say, God made these lights (sun, moon and stars) on the fourth day.

michelle

4. michelle

michelle New Member

Read all of Job 38 and tell me why "morning stars" must be figurative instead of literal stars.

I already have, and so have others. You are ignoring it.

michelle

5. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Paul33,

I don't think anyone will "disprove" your contention about Genesis 1. Theoretically the Spirit could have hovered over a void for awhile. But this just isn't the sense of the passage.

6. michelle

michelle New Member

----------------------------------------------------

I don't think anyone will "disprove" your contention about Genesis 1. Theoretically the Spirit could have hovered over a void for awhile. But this just isn't the sense of the passage.

The Holy Spirit didn't "hover". The Holy Spirit "moved" upon:

Genesis 1

1. In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
    2. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
    3. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
    4. And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
    5. And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

Now read this:

John 3

8. The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

The Holy Spirit doesn't "hover" but moves upon, just as the wind moves upon the oceans, and upon those who are born of the Spirit. He does not hover.

michelle

7. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

In no way taking any of your priase from Helen.

I just wanted to straighten something out.

Michelle, I never believed in evolution in any form or fashion.

I only believed that there was a gap between verses 1 and 2 of Genesis which would have (to me) explained) dinosaurs and the time light travels from distant stars to Earth. That was all. My belief was wrong because dinosaurs could not have "died" before sin came into the Earth.

But, your praise to Helen is noted from both you and myself.

I just wanted it on record that I have "never" been a believer of evolution. [​IMG]

8. michelle

michelle New Member

I am sorry Phillip. After I posted that, I realized that I might have remembered you saying you believe the gap theory and NOT EVOLUTION. I apologize, and thank you for your correction. In any case, I still thank Helen for helping to bring you to understand the truth, and pull you out of that false belief. I first and foremost thank and praise our Lord for using her to help you.

michelle

9. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Genesis 1:14
    14. And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to dividie the day from the night: and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
    15. And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth; and it was so.
    16. And God madetwo great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night; he made the stars also.
    17. And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth.
    18. And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.
    19. And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.
    KJV

I don't see God pulling any clouds back. I see you changing the way you read it to make it fit with your "Verse 1 brooding theory".

By the way, do I absolutely have to write this in Hebrew for you to understand it?

10. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Oh, no harm done at all. I just didn't want anybody to think that I have ever believed in evolution. Yes, Helen is a great woman and has a lot more credentials than she will discuss. She is way too humble. (But, it just makes her that much more Godly.)
    Thanks Michelle, [​IMG]

11. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

It proves that Helen has a young earth creation science agenda that she needs to defend.

12. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Michelle,

Your KJO approach with the English being the inspired text and Hebrew and Greek being useless makes discussing the Scriptures with you impossible.

13. michelle

michelle New Member

It proves that Helen has a young earth creation science agenda that she needs to defend.

The only one posting on this thread trying to defend an agenda is you Paul. You started this thread, and what you are proposing is contrary to scriptural truth, and what the churches not only today believe, but have ALWAYS BELIEVED. You are the one trying to introduce something foriegn, that cannot be supported at all with scripture.

michelle

14. michelle

michelle New Member

Your KJO approach with the English being the inspired text and Hebrew and Greek being useless makes discussing the Scriptures with you impossible.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I speak English Paul. Our scriptures are in English Paul. I do not speak Greek or Hebrew, nor do I need to. You need to understand basic English and context of scripture. You are confusing yourself, thinking you know and need to know the Greek and Hebrew better than your own language to which is impossible. This is your folly.

love in Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour
    michelle

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The reason most scholars, translators and commentators believe the "morning stars" in Job 38 to be angels is because of the parallelism with "sons of God." This is a common technique in Hebrew and those who know Hebrew believe the best way to interpret this is as the angels. You can't ignore the literary context.

16. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Charles Meadows,

You hit the nail on the head.

The interpretation I posted from Gorman Gray doesn't demand a "long" period of time for the Holy Spirit to "move, hover, brood" over the face of the deep. There might not even be a full day's time lapse. So if science supports a young universe, great!

However, if indisputable scientific facts (time it takes for light from distant stars to reach the earth) require an older universe, Gray's interpretation allows for it without doing disservice to the text or destroying inerrancy.

If Ex. 20 and Ex. 31 include in their meanings the idea of the whole universe, then the only way to interpret Genesis 1:1-3 is to make the events of that passage occur all in the "first day." Therefore, the summary statement theory is worthless.

Day one: God creates the universe and the earth's foundation. God describes the earth as barren and empty, wrapped in thick clouds, surrounded by water, with the Holy Spirit hovering over the waters (NIV). God creates light and calls the light "day" and the darkness "night." So the first day would encompass Genesis 1:1-5.

I think Gorman Gray's interpretation is excellent. It allows for a young or old universe without distorting the Scriptures. In fact, it is the most literal interpretation that I have seen.

God created the universe and the planet earth. v. 1
    God describes the planet earth's condition. v. 2
    The Holy Spirit hovers. v. 2
    God creates the earth's biosphere in six literal 24 hour days. v. 3ff.

The age of the universe? Anywhere from 6,000 years old and up.

17. michelle

michelle New Member

The reason most scholars, translators and commentators believe the "morning stars" in Job 38 to be angels is because of the parallelism with "sons of God."

This is what I also tried to show him using the scriptures, and in reference to the other references he brought up, focusing on context, and also indicated to him that Jesus Christ calls himself the bright and morning star. Even though Jesus himself is not an angel, those in him He has made to be like the angels and the Sons of God.

Love in Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour,
    michelle

18. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Michelle,

You believe in KJO English text is right, everything else is wrong.

So don't go interpreting figuratively what God has described literally in English!

19. michelle

michelle New Member

---------------------------------------------------
    However, if indisputable scientific facts (time it takes for light from distant stars to reach the earth) require an older universe, Gray's interpretation allows for it without doing disservice to the text or destroying inerrancy.

Indisputable scientific facts? Oh, so scientist know more that what the scriptures reveal? Has it ever occurred to you that the scientist could be wrong? If so, why put more faith in what they say, than what the scriptures plainly reveal?

michelle

20. michelle

michelle New Member

So don't go interpreting figuratively what God has described literally in English!

I am not. You are, because you are confusing yourself with a language (Hebrew) that is not native to you, nor are you as familiar with as you own native tongue, and the scriptures God has provided us with in it. Stick with English language, the English scriptures, and the context within, and you will not be confused.

michelle