Omnipotence

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Monergist, Apr 8, 2004.

  1. Monergist

    Monergist
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2002
    Messages:
    1,122
    Likes Received:
    0
    William Ames, Marrow of Theology.

    For those who insist that God's will is to save everybody; since everybody is not saved, how would you define omnipotence?
     
  2. Baptist Believer

    Baptist Believer
    Expand Collapse
    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2002
    Messages:
    6,659
    Likes Received:
    189
    William Ames, Marrow of Theology.

    For those who insist that God's will is to save everybody; since everybody is not saved, how would you define omnipotence?
    </font>[/QUOTE]It is not a question of whether or not God has the power to do anything, it is a matter of purpose and Personhood.

    Since God is Person (our personhood is but a image of God’s), we can expect that He has purposed certain priorities and self-limitations on Himself according to His character.

    Since I am convinced that God’s desire is to enter into a loving and voluntary relationship (2-way) with all of humankind, he does not want unwilling lovers. That excludes the use of power to do anything more than draw and enable faith in Him.
     
  3. Me2

    Me2
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2002
    Messages:
    1,348
    Likes Received:
    0
    my focus is on Gods complete sovereignty.

    If all creation was preplanned in spirit before the foundation of the world. God being perfect.

    then every movement of every speck of sand was preplanned. every thought, dream and expectation was planned in every human being for the enevitable glory of God.

    In my view, God knows all steps 1, 2, and 3.

    not step 1 and step 3 and guessing that step 2 will work its way out somehow.. like many think.

    Omnipotent is perfection. meaning Jesus died for all sin. with the intentions of gathering glory from every human being. that all human beings will be resurrected. someday.

    God isnt or cant fail in his desires or intentions or pleasures or will towards his ceation.
    It is man who doesnt give God the benefit of the doubt of what they dont understand must occur.

    God planned for mankind to be made into the image of Christ. the "sons of God" and only the sons are being called today. if Gods plans were to end now.

    I would understand why people sells God short in his capabilities.
    yet they lack faith when God states that he is Love and he made his creation to bring Glory to himself. and Glory in this light is all mankind loving God and all mankind loving each other.

    not 1% of creation eternally laughing at God because the other 99% of creation has denied him glory as he torments them in hell forever.
    that is the real heresy. not allowing God Himself to be righteous before his creation. thinking that man can outwit God.
    yet this too is a part of Gods creation. man has the will to speak against God and his creation for this act of evil will only bring more glory to God in the end as mankind learns to forgive even his own stupidity.
     
  4. Primitive Baptist

    Primitive Baptist
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    Joined:
    May 20, 2002
    Messages:
    821
    Likes Received:
    0
    Given the Arminian (false) premise that God loves every man, woman, and child alike, why are some men denied the so-called "means of grace" necessary to effect their salvation? The Arminian position is one side of the ditch.

    Given the Calvinist (false) premise that God "predestinated" the elect to hear and believe the Gospel through the so-called "means of grace" which only stand when we are talking about "rational" men. When infants, idiots, the heathen etc. are under consideration, most Calvinists, like Arminians, will label these groups as "exceptional cases." This is the other side of the ditch.

    The Primitive Baptist position? Jesus died and did all that was necessary to effect the salvation of His people. The Gospel is preached to practically and experimentally save the elect in this present world but does not carry with it eternal consequences. God did not "predestinate" everything but predestinated the salvation of His people, which is, by the way, the Biblical usage of the word "proorizo." The Gospel is to feed the people of His pasture and the sheep of His hand. This is the Biblical position. May God bless.
     

Share This Page

Loading...