1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Omnipresense, where is it?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Darren, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Omnipresense, where is it?

Where is it? You might as well ask someone to point in the direction of the universe for you.

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

That's it in a nutshell. Yes, God is present in that too. :)

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

It's thataway! :laugh:

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like your inquisitive manner, Darren.
    You have some good observations!
    I think the key to this misunderstanding is a faulty definition of omnipresence.

Omnipresence doesn’t mean God is fully present in an object, that is pantheism (something that is sadly quite popular among some Christian groups).
    If that was the definition we could worship idols; God would be there.
    God is not duplicated in every grain of sand; there is no redundancy.

Omnipresence means God is present in all places at all times.

Since omnipresence is orthodoxy I’d suggest you are the one that needs to prove the contrary.
    Provide some scriptural grounds for questioning this belief.

Meanwhile examine some of the scripture used to support this doctrine.
    (feel free to examine the context) :saint:

The eyes of the LORD are in every place,
    Watching the evil and the good.

Proverbs 15:3 NASB95

For by Him [Jesus] all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created through Him and for Him.
    He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.

Colossians 1:16-17 NASB95

And He [Jesus] is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power.
    Hebrews 1:3a NASB95

To limit God’s presence is to limit his knowledge and power.

Rob

#24 Deacon, Apr 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2008
  5. Darren

Darren New Member

Now we're getting somewhere.

Good point. In fact, I'm going put this stuff on top, since it's actually getting to the issue at hand.

I'll admit here, that one of the primary reasons for bringing this to task is that it doesn't make much logical sense. However, the idea that God is in every "place", for instance, He sees into every home, on earth, or is with every believer, I don't really object to. He probably is, and the Bible can easily be shown to at least be friendly to such a view, even if it never says much to the effect.

Again, I must stress, Omnipresence, I believe, is an extra biblical belief, actually one I think was chalked up because of us comparing Jehovah to false God's.

The Arab says "Allah is everywhere!" the Christian says "Oh yea, well well my God is everywhere and in everything, even within Himself!". The Arab blinks a few times, trying to understand what was just said by the now satisfied looking Christian.

And again, I'll stress, it is impossible to prove the non-existence of anything. But however, when questioning a doctrine, it's perfectly alright to demand to be shown it's support, and if none can be show, to call it out and say it needs to be dropped.

Say I go back to debate with that Jehovah's witness again. Do I really need to show him people praying to God without using the name Jehovah, or am I perfectly justified, dispite how much older his belief is than me, in simply having him show me where the proof is that God cares what name we use when talking about Him?

Jokingly, but to the point, what if it were a long held majority belief that God hated cats. Would it be better to prove that He doesn't, or make others search for proof that He does? I could spend all day trying to prove there is no scripture on this issue, or I could spend a few minutes saying "really, show me" and handing over a Bible.

I don't really disagree with you, I don't think. But I'll look at you're passages anyway. I feel obligated since this is my thread and this is the first time in about a hundred posts someone has understood my SIMPLE challenge to a SIMPLE doctrine.

First let me outline the views of Omnipresence and their Biblical support as I know them:

Full doppler effect omnipresence meaning God is literally everywhere, in everything on every scale and even exists within Himself in an existence format the human mind can't possibly understand.
    Biblically: no support
    Doctrinally: this is the most popular view amongst rigid believers, however most never define omnipresence to this degree.

Omnipresence that God is simply every place on earth.
    Biblically: good support, it never really says much to this effect, but the idea is there
    Doctrinally: a popular view with secular semi believers, new Christians, young Christians and evangilists

Omnipresence that God is simply where He needs to be.
    Biblically: Great support
    Doctrinally: often the view shared by those whom don't like the first two.

Omnipresence that God is where He needs to be, and with every believer.
    Biblically: near rock solid proof
    Doctrinally: No Christian objects to this view, they just feel the need to tack more on for some reason.

God is a singularity, only existing in one place at a time, just like a man.
    Biblically: no real support, best that can be pointed out is that most "proof" of omnipresence is through indirect references, however, the Bible does seem pretty clear to at leat imply that God can be in more than one place at a time.
    Doctrinally: Appearenly, Jehovah's Witnesses.

To the Bible verses:

Proverbs 15:3
    In context, this is part in a series of stand alone Proverbs, actually most likely expressive as to the existence of God, also, the reference is indirect. This passage show no support for full omnipotence, however, indirect for "every place" omnipotence.

Colossians 1:16-17
    In context, the whole chapter, this is part of the first greetings of Paul to the Church in Colosse. Again, this is a single verse proof and actually more indirect than the first. Actually, sorry but I don't see how it applies. The last sentence can be construed to mean, He is everywhere, but most easily means God is greater than all things and all things are dependant on Him.

Hebrews 1:3
    The context seems to be chapter one, but the book of Hebrews has one passage lead to another it seems so one could argue longer. In this chapter, Jesus' superiority to angles is the subject. The section this is from, it seems verses 1-4, has little to do with the subject we're discussing. Actually I'm sorry, but again, I don't see the relivence. The first part of this verse seems to be in reference to the rest of the chapter, that Jesus has the same power as God, and that all things depend on him.

_______________________________________________________________________________

Circular reasoning doesn't hold much clout for me.

I explained some of my aggressivness even in your quotes. Also, yes, when someone clearly missquotes and disrespects scripture, I do get upset. Would it really have taken so much to read a few more verses and see that the presented verse, Matthew 10:30 is irrelivent?

Next there are three nonsense responses. Whatever.

#25 Darren, Apr 18, 2008
  6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Good...because my reasoning wasn't circular.

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Clearly biblical; but what’s with the “even exists within himself” stuff? Sounds spooky!

Even though Scriptures distinctly say the heavens too!

And how would God know where he needs to be if he’s not there?

ibid

Do you people think that I am some local deity
    and not the transcendent God?” the LORD asks.
    Do you really think anyone can hide himself
    where I cannot see him?” the LORD asks.
    Do you not know that I am everywhere?”
    the LORD asks.
    Jeremiah 23:23-24 NET

Don’t be so quick to dismiss portions of Scripture just because they are taken out of context.
    Understand how each statement fits into the context and how they support the argument.

I find it quite humorous that you define yourself as a 6-day creationist and still dismiss God’s omnipotence while I hold a progressive creationist stance and hold a more orthodox view regarding this doctrine.
    Pardon me if I ask you to re-examine your preconceived, extra-biblical creationist views :laugh:

Let me ask some questions:
    At what point in time did God withdraw his presence from various portions of his creation?
    Where and why did he withdraw his presence?

Maybe he said: I'm too busy. I’ll only concern myself with things bigger than a breadbox; the small stuff can take care of itself.

Was it getting too complicated for him?
    Was he not big enough?
    Perhaps he was getting distracted by the disruptive works of man?

Where does this limited view of God lead us?

Rob

#27 Deacon, Apr 18, 2008
  8. nunatak

nunatak New Member

I definitely agree we should study to show ourselves approved, especially studying the foundational doctrines of the church, i.e., grace, justification, sanctification, trinity, etc. However, having a mindset or attitude to possibly disprove the foundational doctrines is not acceptable. There is nothing new under the sun, and neither is it new for someone to challenge a foundational doctrine like God's omnipresence. We have to steer away from even the possibility of heresy.

9. Darren

Darren New Member

God is omnipresent, one must be omnipresent to be God, there for God is omnipresent and omnipresence is not a false doctrine. Sounds like reasoning in a circle to me.

Is it now? I still see NO proof of that WHAT SO EVER.

As to my statement that God exists within Himself, this is an enevitable conclusion. You see, if God exists in each grain of sand, and exists whole over the whole beach, then enevitably He exists within Himself. I'm speaking literally not mystically. Yes, I know I'm not suppose to actually think about and draw conclusions about the "foundational doctrines" like that, but I can't help it.

Maybe it's my curiosity, my desire to know what went wrong all those centuries ago, or whenever it was, that the church fragmented. As we continue to separate, we all become weaker, fighting more amongst ourselves than preaching to the world.

The easiest solution to this is to just say "lets all stop fighting". That's also the most unrealistic. The problem is not that we're fighting. The majority of us are wrong, and the question is who is right. Indeed, the futher someone strays from the truth, the more urgent that he be steered back. So imagine how I feel. It seems to me, I can't even find one denomination that even STUDIES the Bible with the respect it deserves, let alone, enevitably, that their doctrines are false.

If you're sensing that this stuff is actually a long time coming, and is about more than just this simple issue of omnipresence, you're right.

As a lover of research papers, when I read most Christian articles, I'm disgusted. One sentence (verse) for three paragraphs of opinion is garbage and not even the most lenient of professors, were this any other book, would give more than an F to most Christian publications for their blatant in ability to quote their source more than themselves.

In Spanish class I was made to create a ten minute speech. You know how many typed pages that is? 8. You know how many pages of the Bible are usually read in sermons I've sat through? Lucky if 2-5. You know how long those sermons are? 30 minutes to a full hour. 2-5 minutes of scripture, on average, to 25-28 minutes or even 55-58 minutes of opinion on average. Yea, needless to say, my view of modern pastors is hitting an all time low.

Yes, to preempt the question, I've writen articles on the Bible myself, some even for college classes, and yes, I always quote my source more than myself. To not even at least even them out, is to show that your views are more important than those of your sources, and that you think you are the arbitar of knowledge. (Notably, right now, I'm being rather long winded myself. Course I know not many here haven't noticed the same patterns, so I'm not expressing just my own views, I'm sure. Besides, I'll admit right now, this is all my opinion, and I'm not currently giving any gospel or telling "God's truth".)

Yes, there IS much false doctine. Yes, it has wormed its way into every demonination, and onto every level, from foundational beliefs, to superflous beliefs. No I don't know exactly what to do. Yes, something must be done, and yes, it's gonna take more than just me.

And finally, and most importantly, yes, disrespect for the Bible, such as quoting things out of context, never examining doctrines by the Bible, instead of the other way around, silly study habits, poorly researched articles and missleading sermons, are all, I believe very firmly, the root of most, if not even all, of the modern confusion.

This is not our religion, this is God's truth. It does not belong to us, it belongs to Him. Insulting or disrespecting the Bible is not different than disrespecting God Himself.

But I disgress, that's just my motive for digging where I know doctrine says I shouldn't. Let's get back to digging, shall we?

But if our foundational doctrines cannot be proved, they are wrong, and if they are wrong, they are false doctrines that must be delt with as such.

Baptists can be wrong. I know this from personal experience. I've been wrong before, and God knows I'll be wrong again. In fact, I often find myself hoping to be wrong -right now a little bit-. Hoping that one day, if I just keep looking, I'll find something I missed. Something that shows me the modern church isn't losing all sight of the truths of God. Something that tells me, that at least, this won't be a death sentence to our faith, eventually taking it from it's dominate position. But I doubt I'm wrong, I just want to be.

But go ahead, call me a heritic, it's been done before and it doesn't surprise me in the least. Asking you to even examine certain doctrines is sacriligious itself, which is a testiment to how so many survive, dispite that they disagree, often have little to no Biblical support and yes, make no sense.

Back to deacon

The heavens are PART of the "earth" as I'm refering to and you probably know that. (Heaven, as in, where we go when we die and God's eternal house, I'm not discussing His existence there for the moment, but I would have thought that was clear so we'll leave that alone.) Heavens, since you have no reference yet I can only summize what you must be getting at, usually refers to the sky, not space. In the modern day, "earth" is our planet. You're confusing my modern speech with the old speech of the Bible. Maybe I should have said PLANET EARTH to be more specific, since yes, it did cross my mind that someone might bring up passages about God being in the sky.

Here I thought omniscience was another foundational doctrine. Why are YOU ignoring it? I thought things making sense was irrelivent.

I addressed this already. Page 2, post 17.

Out of context? So far, the scripture I've cross examined here, has been single verses, often irrelivent, in context does not even partain to this subbject, figurative, expressive and often indirectly related the subject, at best. No, it's not convincing.

Twisted that seems, agreed. But not when you see things from my perspective.

The clearest and easiest interpretation of Genesis is a six day creation, it even says these were morning and evening days. When is the morning and evening of one trillion years?

I see no scripture that lends to full omnipotence, hence I believe it should be dropped.

It all goes back to the Bible.

I'll fire this one back and ask, why does God need to be present somewhere inorder to influence something. Where is that written? It's not, in fact the opposite is true. God can command the very elements themselves at a distance.

You really think you're less important than pluto? I guess you don't realize the world and the universe weren't just made to look pretty. They were created for various reasons, most of them, for our benifit. I know that the God whom created Jupter in mere moments, a planet larger several thousand times than this whole earth, is powerful enough for me.

BTW, capitalize when you're refering to Him.

Psalm 144: 3 (context is the whole chapter, go ahead and read)

O LORD, what is man that you care for him,
    the son of man that you think of him?

We were what was more important. He wanted to be with us. I think God wanted to be with man, not floating amongst the stars. Immanuel, our God is with us.

10. Darren

Darren New Member

Isaiah 66
    Palatka51, I missed you're point earlier.

To your credit, you already printed full context, that's at least showing respect. Knowing the context, you must also know this is not the subject of that passage, but I'll address the verses that do partain, since that is the purpose here.

The first two verses, are actually refering to God's authority, not any omnipresent existence. Sorry. I believe in taking scripture as it is presented in the Bible, not forever reading more and more into things, as I know is preached, but actually just leads to confusion. Therefore, the simple interpretation of this passage shows it to be irrelivent.

11. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, pardon my cynicism, but you need to look at ALL of Darren's threads.

His very first, talking about the salvational prayer - he didn't get the answer(s) he was expecting, and hasn't returned to that thread. His subsequent posts all do the same thing: Point to one particular teaching or belief, and attempt to get folks to question them, or at least agree that it can be questioned.

Ask yourselves: Why?

Because he's leading up to something else.

At least, that's my personal assessment. I've been known to be wrong before.

#31 Don, Apr 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2008
  12. North Carolina Tentmaker

Darren, whenever you are shown scripture that is your standard answer. It is not just once, but several times you have been pointed to valid scriptural foundations for omnipresence, yet you refuse to accept them. You don't want to examine or question doctrine, you want to throw it out to form your own ideas. That is of course your right but don't try to hide behind the scriptures for it. Your mind is made up and you refuse to accept any alternatives no mater how clearly stated in scripture.

You said there is no scriptural support for this doctrine. You imply that we have blind faith based on other religions. Then when shown the scriptural bases for our belief you refuse to accept it. How is that debate?

13. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Thanks for the reply Darren. Your aggressiveness was beginning to frustrate me. It was about time you led us to the subjects Biblical truth.

As my feet heal from surgery, I sit here with the lap top in my lap and from time to time I look up from it. Looking up I can gaze out the window from my den. I see the big oak in my back yard that needs trimming. The lawn that hasn't been mowed sense I started having foot problems. Needless to say, it has become a jungle. I can also view 2 of the fence posts that supports a fence around 5 acres. I have become useless to what I consider my domain. I have not walked my property in months. If I had livestock (goats) on it the ASPCA would have hauled me off. The animals, that I hope to raise one day, would have been left to their own means for survival. A domesticated species wouldn't fare very well in the wild. I have been removed from my authority over my property by an infirmity.

God's authority is indeed evidence of His omnipresence. If you remove His presence you remove His authority.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm beginning to think Darren is a troll, and I wonder if his intentions are that of a professing christian....

15. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Great analogy... I really liked that. :thumbs:

I agree, the things we take for granted (laws of nature etc...) don't have to be consistent but we do have a God who keeps this universe in order... :thumbs:

16. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Darren, as has been said, you too quickly and lightly dismiss arguments and Scripture that refute your idea.

Questioning and deeply examining doctrine is an excellent practice but you need to recognize your own biases. Clearly you are unable to accept some of the scriptural truths presented and continue to hold on to your theory.

Part of the problem lies with the basic understanding of presence.
    It needs to be defined.

With physical beings that’s easy, it’s where we are.
    but God is spirit (John 4:24).
    How can we define where he is?

Palatka51 in a few simple words you’ve conveyed the jist of the whole argument for omnipresence. And you’ve defined it well. :thumbs:
    If I could come over and mow your property I’d be over in a jiff.
    I’ll be praying for you brother.

The Scriptures speak of God’s knowledge and influence in terms the original audience could understand.
    When the OT Scriptures speak of the heavens we understand that they are not part of the earth. They are what is above the earth; unreachable for the readers at that time.

In Hebrew we often see words used in various combinations which form a merism (a figure of speech in which a single thing is referred to by several of its parts).
    A common merism “heaven and earth” means “universe”.
    “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth”or…
    “In the beginning, when God created the universe” [GNT]

It’s only in the last few decades that man has discovered a portion of how large the universe really is.
    We shouldn’t expect the Bible to go into its details (and it doesn’t)
    but we can see that early believers recognized God's all-pervasive presence
    In Job 36-40 we see that God works with men but also with the weather and even in the dark mysterious creatures of the deep.
    Read the psalm of Habakkuk (Habakkuk 3)

His splendor covers the heavens,
    And the earth is full of His praise.
    His radiance is like the sunlight;
    He has rays flashing from His hand,
    And there is the hiding of His power.

Habakkuk 3:3-4 NASB95

The readers understood the awesome power and presence of God was all-encompassing.

Rob