1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Omniscience

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Apr 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

5And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

6And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

7And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

8But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.

Does this say God didn't know it would happen? No, it says He repented had a change of mind, that He had created man. But he also saw Noah and Noah found Grace or salvation from God and God made a plan to save mankind. Nothing in this says God was shocked or surprised, He knew it would happen but Moses put it into human terms the only way he knew how to term it. God knew and He also knew about Noah and the other 7.

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Perhaps one problem is with semantics and the word allow, permit (permissive will). To permit sounds like giving permission and the same with allow. However we are a people of laws, but just because everyone is not shackled to keep them from breaking the law does not mean law breaking is done by permission. We are given the right to obey them but to have that right we have to have the freedom to exercise that right and with it comes the possibility we will not obey. it is not permisive will of the law that brings law breaking. It is willful disobediance on the part of the law breaker.
    The law gives its boundaries and because we are able (call it free will if you like) break the law it does not constitute allowing of the infraction nor does it destroy the sovereignty of the law.
    The same with God. He gave laws and man breaks them. The breaking does not dissolve His sovereignty and neither does the breaking come by Him allowing or as some say permissible will. The law breaking is because of rebellion, against His sovereign will and done without any permissibility.
    He remains sovereign and proves it with judgement or forgiveness which also depends on our choice.

#42 freeatlast, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2011
  3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

When did he see? It was after it happened and while it was happening. To change His mind clearly shows there was a time He had another mind or understanding even if you want to go into the eons of eternity.

4. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

If you think I'm a 4 pointer, then you don't know me very well. :)

5. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    By this reasoning it seems you are saying that God had a hand in the sin of Satan.

The only thing God allowed was Satan's choice He didn't allow the sin. I'm sure Satan must have known the consequence. The consequence is God's preventive measure.
    This last portion of your post I agree with. It places the responsibility where it belongs, on man. The only thing God has allowed is man's frewill choice.
    MB

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If God does not know the future, why is there prophecy of the future in the Bible? Why is it that we can see all through the Old Testament details about Jesus' coming, life and death? If God cannot see into the future, how would He do that?

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Because those things He ordains/predestines.

8. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

That was my point God allowed Satan to make the choice to sin.

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Again I think it is incorrect to say God allowed because of semantics. We have laws, but the government or the law does not allow us to break the law. It is totally one sided. We just break them without being allowed. The same I think is with how God is working. He says do or don’t do this and we choose one way or the other. It has nothing to do with Him allowing as that seems to suggest some involvement on His part even if that involvement is no action.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

There needs to be an "other", "mystery" or "don't know" option to this poll. Of course omniscience is an attribute only God has, but being finite...we cannot understand the hypostatic union and Christ not knowing the day or hour of His return. You cannot separate His divinity from his humanity...hence the only option that anyone can choose, IMO is you don't know or it is a mystery. We cannot state emphatically without a shadow of a doubt we know what God knows. That presumes we are on par with His thinking...and I for one will not go that route.

11. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

My brother is the perfect example of the permissive will or the allowing someone to do something even though you might not approve. He was going on his senior trip and the trip was near the beach. He had an ear operation and had told he couldn't swim, he had asked his DR. if he could surf and was told yes. When Dad talked to him, he told him not to go surfing that if he did it may be the last thing he did. Dad didn't say you can't go he advised him not to go. Well my brother went and he drowned that day, so was that Dad's fault for allowing him to go on the trip or my brothers error in judgement that cost him his life? He was allowed by the school officials to get off of the bus, he was allowed to rent a surf board. He made the decision and wasn't told no he couldn't do it. Just as Satan was allowed to become prideful, his decision, just as Adam ate of the tree, his choice, both were allowed by God to make that choice.

12. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I understand what you are saying, but the commands of God are not suggestions or advise. They are set in stone commands and there is no exceptions given. I see the sin of man carried out without any permissible will of God as I feel claiming permissible will from His side puts some of the blame on Him because the idea is He could have stopped it and then we are back to sovereignty , but at this point it is possibly more a debate of semantics.

13. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

God commanded Adam not eat of the tree and he did. God's command was set in stone there. But Adam ate from it so where do you put blame on God for that?

14. Osage Bluestem

I don't know you very well.

15. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

problem with the example is that the government can't stop people from breaking the law. I'm about to head to church. I can run 80 mph and they can't prevent me from doing that. Now God can. God is all powerful and can stop sin. He could have not allowed sin to happen in the first place. So if God doesn't allow sin, either He didn't know about it or was unable to stop it.
    Allowed means more than just having permission.
    If I can stop something from happening(power) but don't, I have allowed it to happen. I could have stopped it but didn't. God has all knowledge(I'm shocked that baptists here are denying that) of all events of all time. It's not a mystery. The Bible is VERY clear on this.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yeah jbh...the hypostatic union and everything associated with it is not a mystery :rolleyes:

17. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The basic meaning of the word is distorted by your anaology. Which is no surprize to me, Calvinist always pervert the meaning of words. God will not prevent you from doing 80 MPH either but that doesn't in anyway mean that He allows it. We are commanded to obey our government laws
    Bologna! Why should God stop us from committing sin when it's our responsibility to keep the commandments. Must you blame God for your sins. Some say the devil made them do it, but not you God let you sin by allowing you too. How convenient.
    MB

18. Winman

Winman Active Member

double post

#58 Winman, Apr 13, 2011
  19. Winman

Winman Active Member

Great question MB! Why should your mommy make your bed when you are 25 years old and still living at home?

How could we willingly be obedient if God stopped everyone from sinning? There would be no sin, but it would be meaningless. There would be no personal responsibility.

20. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

I wasn't saying that it's not a mystery, I'm saying that God being omniscient isn't a mystery. Phil 2:8-9 teach that God put aside some things by humbling himself. One thing we know is that He gave up the ability to be eternal(he died). We can also conclude that some knowledge he gave up. Exactly how all this works we don't know. That's the mystery. But saying that God doesn't now everything isn't a mystery, it's denying Scripture.

#60 jbh28, Apr 13, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.