1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

On Abortion...again.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by auburnhale, Apr 2, 2008.

1. standingfirminChrist

You need to understand what life is. Each cell in that blastocyst, that embryo, that fetus; whatever stage of pregnancy, whether at conception, or one second prior to full term, is alive. The life is there from the moment the sperm cell and the egg unite.

Abortion is murder, and therefore it is sin.

From the moment of conception, growth begins. If it were not alive, the stages of growth would not happen.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An unborn child is growing and developing. That is life period. The dead cannot advance in developement. Such is common sense. Everything else is semantical gymnastics. Libs want to protect the egg of an Eagle and at the same time slide a vacume into the womb and rip a child limb from limb. May God have mercy on your souls.

#22 Revmitchell, Apr 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2008
  3. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Hmmm. If you are going to go on about how there is only life once there is breath or blood, we just had this discussion over in the Theology forum. Go on over and read it.

4. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

And I've posted this in this thread--as well as the one on "hatefulness", since in that thread you pointed to this
    "SO-- how do you define "quality of life", and how do you think this is relevant to the issue of abortion?

Because two things have happened with the advent of technology in the biological sciences---we have the capability to PROVE that life DOES exist inside the womb (have you ever seen a sonogram?---the VIDEO of the ultrasound of the baby inside its mother's womb. It'll prove life to you faster than anything--and from a very, VERY early point in the pregnancy!).....AND we have the capability to decide to embrace life or destroy it.

Back before the technology we have now, parents didn't know beforehand that their child would be born with deformities or handicaps or birth defects.....so they didn't have anybody telling them that they could "choose to abort the less-than-perfect-fetus" if they wanted a baby that had a perfect "quality of life". Now, the same technology that PROVES that there really is a person inside mommy's belly, also gives us the choice to yank that life out of her belly.....proving, I guess, that science brings with it both evil and good consequences---just as everything with man does.

But we as Christians ALREADY HAVE BEEN TOLD that life begins in the womb--by the Bible--God's Word to us. That's all we really need to know. "

And I'll add an additional comment in this thread--your profile says you were born in 1982. Do you know how many babies were aborted that would be in your cohort? I personally know of SIX. And that matters for MANY reasons to Christians in general....but it matters to ME for very specific, personal reasons.....I know the mothers of those aborted babies. I know that they STILL--all these years later, think about their "choice" at the time.....and NOW when they think about that "choice"....they realize that "choice" was a BABY. And they mark the years of how old their baby would be now--wonder if that baby would have been a girl or a boy, wonder how different their lives would have been had they made a different "choice".

And you know what?.....it wouldn't MATTER if that "thing" they aborted had not been LIFE. People don't look back over their lives and grow frantic because they chose the wrong wallpaper color 25 years ago, because wallpaper is not a gift from God--LIFE is.

5. Joe

Joe New Member

Your reply...
    Incorrect
    The Lord Views Life prior to conception.
    He love us BEFORE we were conceived
    He CHOSE US BEFORE WE WERE CONCEIVED(Universal concept)

HE CHOSE US TO BE HOLY AND WITHOUT FAULT IN HIS EYES BEFORE WE WERE CONCEIVED

Ephesians 1:4-5 Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes. God decided in advance to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. This is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure.
    Choose to kill what the Lord loves, takes pleasure in, and you will not be without fault in his eyes. Remember Abel's blood crying out from the ground ??Gen 4:10

Deut 21:9 So shalt thou put away the guilt of innocent blood from among you, when thou shalt do that which is right in the sight of the LORD
    Otherwise, we do not promote/enable attempted murder, the taking of human life whether it be a fetus in an abortion clinic, adults in church, drunks in a pub, or wherever else. Otherwise, it's blood on OUR hands.

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So God only knows that one person? That verse doesn't apply to anyone else?

And please, answer Amy's question: When does life begin?

7. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Each of us has been fearfully and wonderfully made, from conception. God knew our names before our mothers were even aware they were with child.
    There are even some forms of birth control that I would consider abortion, in that they prevent a fertilized egg from implanting in the womb.

love,

Sopranette

8. North Carolina Tentmaker

Nothing against any of the other posts or opinions here but if you are looking for specific verses I have always thought Exodus 21:22-23 is the authority on this issue.
    As I read this, if a man hurts a woman and tries to kill her child but he fails (no mischief follow, i.e. she does not loose the baby) then he is punished for assault. But if any mischief follow (I read this to mean, if the baby dies) then he gives life for life. The key here is that the murder of an unborn child is treated exactly as the murder of an other living person.

As shown in the other verses mentioned God considers the unborn child as much alive and a person as any other.

9. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

auburn: If you are a newbie (and you are since your first post was last night). Why would you title this thread On Abortion...again.?

The title suggests that you already had a thread on abortion...

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

However, does that body in the casket have cells that are dividing? Does that body in the casket have the ability to survive on it's own someday? Does that body in the casket have a heartbeat and brainwaves?

An child - even before it hits the embryo stage will continue on it's life course to grow, to become ready to leave it's mother's womb. Once it's born, it's still completely 100% dependent on it's mother or other caregiver to keep it alive (I've heard the argument that it's not really a life in the womb until it can live on it's own outside the womb - but that's a fallacy).

The body in the casket is going to do one thing - decompose. It will not progress to further life here on earth - unless they are saved and they then will be resurrected when Jesus returns. Otherwise, it's dirt and will never be life again.

That's like comparing apples and oranges.

11. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I am a little confused here. You want an answer, but not an answer that disagrees with your preconception about life in the womb. So you want an answer, but right out of the gate you are ruling out one possible answer because you don't like it.

What are you willing to accept as evidence? Every place that the Scripture references the unborn, it treats them as human beings that are alive. There is no biblical reference to an unborn person being anything less than a living human being. So why do you disagree?

12. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Very interesting, isn't it?

If I remember my history there was a thought going around that living people were less than human. They were either owned like animals to work like oxen and to be bound in chains with scourging at the owner's whim. Or they were rounded up like sheep for slaughter from all areas of Europe to be gassed and burned like insects. In both cases much blood had to be shed to wake up the world to these evils on the race of humanity. Our generation is headed this same way if we do not repent to God our sin, this slaughter of the most innocent of our society, that many regard as sub human.

I find it very hard to believe that any Christian would side with the advocates of this murderous craft that many call abortion or freedom of choice. Shouldn't a Christian take the stand for life even if the question is when that life begins? If I had any doubts (and I do not) I would want to be found in error for life.

I often wonder if some that come here and ask this question of us, if they have submitted to an abortion or encouraged another to get one. Hoping for a positive response to their question to asuage their guilt and that the scriptures will show that life is not in the womb. Then they try their hardest to cause us to doubt our stand for life. In causing doubt their guilt of sin is then eased.

The only way that sin can find rest is to confess it to the LORD of Life. That's the only way that the guilt can be taken away. Here in is love and not hatred. :godisgood:

13. standingfirminChrist

Amen, Palatka! Good post!

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

Let's all cut to the chase and welcome back jsn9333 for his return to the BB.

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

I would suggest Psalm 139 as a good reference, butjsn9333 disagreed with me earlier that it was applicable to abortion....so I'll just refer the rest of the class (not the OP) to that Scripture.

Sorry, Auburn....you're out there by yourself on this one. Scriptural principles disagree with you.

16. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

:laugh: :applause: :laugh: :thumbs:

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Let me suggest this.
    Try as you may, you will not find any Bible-believing Christian supporting abortion from the Bible. That is what is the most appalling and irreprehesible thing that many of us find here.
    Having said that, I realize that there are some that do take a pro-choice stance. But at least they do have the decency not to try and support their stand with the Bible. I would suggest that any supporter of abortion do so without the Bible, for it is clear that the Bible teaches no such thing.

Here is Merriam-Webster's dictionary of blasphemy:
    The one who tries to justify abortion by using the Bible commits blasphemy; or to put it another way--it is a blasphemous thing to do, for it is insulting to God. You insult God when you show such irrevence to Him as to think that God Himself would condone abortion. lt is an insult that flies in the face of God. It is called blasphemy. I, therefore, suggest that you prove your case without using the Bible.

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I would like to ask, at what point would it have been "ok" for Mary to abort the Messiah? Was He any less God when He was a zygote or cell or embryo?

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No, Christ is God, always has been and always will be.
    At no time did Christ ever give up his deity, not while he was in the womb of Mary, not on earth--never did he give up his deity.

20. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

I was thinking the same thing, Amy, in "that mysterious earlier thread" on abortion referred to.