1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

On obligation and ability

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by whatever, Apr 11, 2005.

1. whatever

whatever New Member

By what definition of "godly lives" is any amount of sin allowed? How many sins can we commit and still be holy, as God is holy? It seems to me that after just one sin we are no longer holy as God is holy. Does our inability to be holy as God is holy negate this command?

2. whatever

whatever New Member

Something to think about - Paul told the Romans that we all died in Adam. In other words, God holds us all accountable for Adam's sin. That's going to drive some of the people on here nuts, but it's right there in the Bible.

Of course, all who are in Christ are made alive through His work on our behalf. How that works for people like your grandson and your niece is still a bit of a mystery, but God is merciful. The thing is, Paul makes it clear that if you didn't take part in Adam's sin then you can't take part in Christ's righteousness. But if by birth you do take part in Adam's sin then by second birth you may take part in Christ's righteousness. I don't have chapter and verse for you, but knowing of God's merciful nature I have to think that He works faith in people like your grandson and your niece, whether we can always see the results of that faith or not. The thing to remember is that salvation is His work, and keep asking yourself this question - is God trustworthy? If so, then keep trusting Him.

Hope that helps.

3. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

By what definition of "godly lives" is any amount of sin allowed? How many sins can we commit and still be holy, as God is holy? It seems to me that after just one sin we are no longer holy as God is holy. Does our inability to be holy as God is holy negate this command? </font>[/QUOTE]If Sin were "allowed", there would be no reason for confession and forgiveness.

I doubt seriously if you are "holy", but I Don't doubt that you are made Holy by your faith in God.

Holiness is not guaged by sin!

4. whatever

whatever New Member

You're not dealing with this passage at all. Here it is:

"As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, 'You shall be holy, for I am holy.'"

Peter doesn't say "if you sin confess it". He doesn't say if you sin but then you believe then you will be made holy". He says that we are to actually be holy in all of our conduct. You doubt that I am actually holy in my conduct, and you are correct. Are you holy in all of your conduct? Do you know anyone who is?

5. OSAS

OSAS Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is too easy, they just throw apples in with oranges and call them all "Job".

Make them prove it "Post Pentecost" and they will never have a reply.