1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

On who should we show mercy?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by FARWALKER, Mar 3, 2015.

1. FARWALKER

FARWALKER New Member

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2015/march-web-only/let-kelly-gissendaner-live.html
    Link to and article on Christianity Today's website.

Reading the story one will, assuming the story is an accurate depiction of a changed life, soon discover that Kelly Gissendaner will receive the death penalty for planning the murder of her husband a few years back. He was indeed murdered by Ms Gissendaner's boyfriend at the time. He plea bargained and received jail time and a chance of parole while she at her attorney's advice did not and received the death penalty.

The article pleas for a stay of execution this lady.

I suppose I wonder, on whom should I show mercy. Now I'm assuming this woman's life is truly changed and my heart is broken knowing her new life will soon end when it seems to be so much more worth living.

The fact still remains that she is guilty of planning a murder and I feel compelled to be forgiving and merciful to her and there is part of me that is compelled to support justice and consequence.

Mercy and justice are both good but I am torn on my position here.

Thought?

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mercy and justice? Why do they have to be mutually exclusive? Why can't both exist at the same time?

God had mercy on this woman and saved her soul. We can have mercy on her and show her Christian love and support and pray for her to grow spiritually in her final days.

Just because a person turns their life over to God and submits to His saving grace, this does not negate any of life's consequences that must naturally be paid.

A child molester can get saved and gloriously so. But we still aren't going to allow him to adopt children.

A drunkard can get saved and gloriously so. But any irreparable damage to his liver that may cause a premature death - this is part of the consequence of his lifestyle that isn't negated merely because he got saved and gave up drunkenness.

This woman has been saved and we should rejoice. Her salvation does not absolve her from paying the consequences of her actions prior to her salvation.

Her salvation did not undo the murder of her husband. Ergo, her salvation cannot undo her state-appointed sentence.

Mercy and justice co-exist. In fact, mercy and forgiveness - if bought at a price of negating justice - isn't Biblical mercy nor Godly forgiveness.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The consequences of this world will often, but not always, stick with us. It is the world that follows once we see our full redemption that we reap the full benefit of our salvation.

4. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Scarlett and Rev have it right. Many people seem to think that claiming salvation means they shouldn't have to pay for past lifestyle choices or crimes, but that is not so.

5. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ditto the three previous comments. Salvation pays off the spiritual debt, not the debt to the state.

#5 Rolfe, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2015
  6. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are free to choose, BUT, you aren't free to choose the consequences of your choice!

You can be forgiven and not pay the penalty for sins (Hell), but forgiveness does not over-ride the mental/physical/emotional results of these same sins - (liver damage, broken marriage, estranged children, paralysis, etc.)